TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My SS F150 Project (in stages) and questions as I go

Hey all,

Last month I bought a 2008 F150 Crew Cab, not knowing that the SS package was available (imagine my happiness!)

However I will be attempting this conversion in stages due to having a wife, kids, and a lack of trucks of cash in the driveway <_<

To not clutter up the forum I will also post my questions here as well.

To start off here's the "before" pic of my truck.

37c1f591.jpg

Now on to my first couple questions..

1. What dealers carry the body parts besides Shelby themselves?

2. Does the SS hood fit with the stock grille? I need to know if I can get the hood without having to get the front grille.

Thanks and looking forward to getting this project started!!

Hey all,

Last month I bought a 2008 F150 Crew Cab, not knowing that the SS package was available (imagine my happiness!)

However I will be attempting this conversion in stages due to having a wife, kids, and a lack of trucks of cash in the driveway <_<

To not clutter up the forum I will also post my questions here as well.

To start off here's the "before" pic of my truck.

37c1f591.jpg

Now on to my first couple questions..

1. What dealers carry the body parts besides Shelby themselves?

Parts are exclusive to Shelby.

2. Does the SS hood fit with the stock grille? I need to know if I can get the hood without having to get the front grille.

Not 100% certain, but based on the exploded parts list that's at the Performance Parts website, it does not appear that it would fit over the stock grille. Contact Shelby Performance Parts for fitment details.

I understand that money is tight, but at $15,995.00 the appearance package price by itself is quite reasonable when you factor in the labor, paint, and materials that's needed to finish the raw body panels that you will buy from SPP (unless you're going to prep and paint them yourself). And there is a significant benefit having Shelby build the truck for you because you will then own one of the rarest late model Shelby's built to date, and your CSM will be recorded into the registry too. Just In case you haven't seen this already, here's a link to the SS F-150 sales brochure.

http://www.shelbyautos.com/images/pdf/f150ss-flyer-sm.pdf

Thanks and looking forward to getting this project started!!

Thanks!

Believe me I would love nothing more than to have the truck done by Shelby but my wife and I are both teachers. Between that, a mortgage, 2 car notes, 2 kids and all the bills that go with that I just can't afford a $16000 loan note right now. I could wait until a vehicle is paid off but that will take years. And I would be worried that by then this package might no longer be offered.

I play in a band on the side so I plan on using that extra money to buy stuff as I go. Unfortunately that's not steady money either so I'm forced to buy stuff piece by piece. I do have a couple friends who can help me out in the painting and installation department.

Bryan, unfortunately unless you plan on letting Shelby or a Mod Shop convert your truck, It would surely not ever be complete. The reason I say this is there are alot of parts that are not for sale publicly for the SS truck. The best option would be to buy the appearance package, in its entirety, from Shelby and installed at Shelby. Then, when money allows, purchase the performance upgrades the same way. I cant see how doing it any other way would be beneficial to you.

Chris

Bryan, unfortunately unless you plan on letting Shelby or a Mod Shop convert your truck, It would surely not ever be complete. The reason I say this is there are alot of parts that are not for sale publicly for the SS truck. The best option would be to buy the appearance package, in its entirety, from Shelby and installed at Shelby. Then, when money allows, purchase the performance upgrades the same way. I cant see how doing it any other way would be beneficial to you.

Chris

According to the New Shelby Magazine on Page 101, u can buy everything separately, it lists prices for everypart on that page.

And if I did my math correctly, to buy all of the parts that is in the appearance package would be $7583.82(without tax)

According to the New Shelby Magazine on Page 101, u can buy everything separately, it lists prices for everypart on that page.

And if I did my math correctly, to buy all of the parts that is in the appearance package would be $7583.82(without tax)

That's more along the lines of what I can afford. And that amount broken up over time is much easier to manage.

That's more along the lines of what I can afford. And that amount broken up over time is much easier to manage.

The big prices are the Bed cover at $1319.50, Hood at $1281.70, End Spats(use with the splitter and attached to the fascia) at $1281.70,

Here is the price range break down, according to Page 101

$0-100 - 4 items

$101-200 - 0 items

$201-300 - 2 items

$301-400 - 2 items

$401-500 - 1 item

$501-600 - 1 item

$601-700 - 2 items

$701-$1200 - 0 items

$1201-1350 - 3 items

As I stated earler, just don't forget to factor in the cost of prep and paint. Because while the body components are finished well, if they are similar to SS hoods, they will require many hours of sanding to get them paint ready, and those hours will add up to big dollars depending on your body shop's hourly rate.

Over the years, we had a few TS members say that they spent quite a bit of money to get their SS hoods prepped and painted. I believe that one posted that he ended up paying close to $2,000.00 in labor and paint when everything was said and done, and that was just for one hood.

I completely understand your need to piece the project out over time, no arguement there. Just don't be suprised if the $7,600.00 blossoms to more than the listed appearance package price by the time the last piece of stripe is put on your truck.

Body work and paint ain't cheap nowadays. :salute:

I wonder why it would be so much work to get a hood ready to paint? It seems to me that if it designed to fit one particular vehicle that it should be really close to 100% ready. But I don't know a whole lot about paint and body work...

Unfortunately Bryan, although fiberglass parts are generally finished to a high quality, they still require many hours of wet and dry sanding and then a rub down with a tack cloth in order for the surface to be free of contaminates and have a glass-smooth surface for paint. If you painted an unprepped part, you would see all of the surface flaws appear through the color, and the paint itself may not adheare to the surface properly.

It's just the nature of the beast.

Archived