TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone have an idea of what would cause a motor and attached components to be very hot after driving without getting an overheat indication from the temp guage?

I noticed that the motor, intake, throttle body etc. were all very hot after driving...even up to an hour after sitting in the garage, they were hot to the touch. Trying to figure out what was going on, it appeared the collant resivoir was filled with the dexcool :redcard: (orange coolant apparantly put in by the dealership I got it from)...so I immediately took it in for a full flush and had the proper coolant put in.

Now she is cool to the touch even immediately after I park in the garage...could the coolant make the engine block that hot without the fluid passing through the thermostat getting hot enough to register as such?

This is off the top of my head but I don't think we're suppose to use the orange stuff (Dexcool) in our cars.

This is off the top of my head but I don't think we're suppose to use the orange stuff (Dexcool) in our cars.

I think while I was searching for the answer I noticed that the coolant resivior mentioned not to use the orange (dexcool) and that is why I changed it out right away, but I thought it was strange that the heat could get so high to radiate that heat to other components without registering "hot" on the temp guage. :headscratch:

But it is all good now...but I agree the dexcool is very bad for our cars!

What is this "orange stuff" Dexcool? Is it a Ford product? Antifreeze? Why is it so bad for the cars?

Thanks.

its an extended life coolant that alot of cars are coming with, suppose to last five years or 150k miles or some bs like that. im not sure what makes it bad but apparently its not modular motor friendly

I just did a google search on Dexcool. It looks like this is some pretty bad stuff - it turns to a muddy substance after a few years. Check out these photos, this stuff is unbelievable. Hopefully Ford isn't using it from the factory.

Internet photos of Dexcool gone bad:

http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool_pics.htm

I just did a google search on Dexcool. It looks like this is some pretty bad stuff - it turns to a muddy substance after a few years. Check out these photos, this stuff is unbelievable. Hopefully Ford isn't using it from the factory.

good find! springer thank you, you just gave me nightmares about ever owning a gm vehicle :hysterical:

im checking my radiators for that crap first thing in the morning

Actually, I think Ford recommends against it, at least for the Mustang. This is another reason why I stick to the manufacturers recommendations!

Dexcool is used in GM cars only, my kid had a Grand Am one time that had a leaky head gasket and this was the stuff we had to use.

Dexcool is no bueno in a mod motor for sure.

I run straight water with a bottle of Water Wetter for good measure and have zero issues. The C&R radiator is an awesome mod, by the way. I highly recommend it for anyone and everyone with the 4.6.

Dexcool is no bueno in a mod motor for sure.

I run straight water with a bottle of Water Wetter for good measure and have zero issues. The C&R radiator is an awesome mod, by the way. I highly recommend it for anyone and everyone with the 4.6.

C&r huh? im going to have to look into that

Archived