TEAM SHELBY FORUM

PROTOCOL FOR BUILDING A SUPERSNAKE AT HOME

I've been thinking about having my 2010 GT-500 SuperSnaked for a while now but with business being down about 60% this last couple of years it just doesn't make financial sense right now.

So, I'm considering purchasing components as money permits then dropping it off next year at a mod shop for completion.

If I am to understand correctly, any Supersnake component parts purchased from Shelby directly will be discounted from the final completion price when it is dropped off for striping and wheels etc. with the exception of the labor.

First...could I get confirmation on this....

Next, if this is correct, are there specific components for each package that will be accepted.

(I wouldn't want to order a brake package for a lower HP group then find out it is not acceptable for a higher hp group)

I'm not sure if any SS owners have gone this route but I would certainly appreciate the feedback if they have.

I am looking towards the 850 hp version and would like a list of components that can be purchased from Shelby that I could start with and roughly what the completion costs to be incurred.

Thanks..

I have not heard of anyone doing this. 800hp is the highest level that I have seen listed in Super Snake material and then the 750 which was previously listed as 725. The blower Super Snake labeling is unique to the Super Snake (at least on the KB's), and that blower is not available labeled Super Snake unless they install it. The wheels are the same way.

The smaller brake package is standard and uses the original GT500 caliper with a caliper bracket and upgrade rotor addition to each side on the rear. This is available. The large front brakes are a standard item on the Super Snake package and I believe they can be purchased from SPP. The suspension items, springs, sway bars, etc. are also available through SPP. The brake ducts are available through SPP. The original style gauge pod is available through SPP, but I am not sure about the pillar set-up.

The Super Snake logo'ed billet engine caps and dipstick are Super Snake build only and they won't be available ahead of time. The hood is available.

Of course badging and CSM plates are not going to be sold seperate.

So "if" SA will do this, the brakes, suspension, brake ducts and hood and maybe the pillar gauges? If you are also doing the upgrade cooling system, it is available to the masses.

I may have left some items out, console door, headrest covers, etc., but others will chime in.

R

I have not heard of anyone doing this. 800hp is the highest level that I have seen listed in Super Snake material and then the 750 which was previously listed as 725. The blower Super Snake labeling is unique to the Super Snake (at least on the KB's), and that blower is not available labeled Super Snake unless they install it. The wheels are the same way.

The smaller brake package is standard and uses the original GT500 caliper with a caliper bracket and upgrade rotor addition to each side on the rear. This is available. The large front brakes are a standard item on the Super Snake package and I believe they can be purchased from SPP. The suspension items, springs, sway bars, etc. are also available through SPP. The brake ducts are available through SPP. The original style gauge pod is available through SPP, but I am not sure about the pillar set-up.

The Super Snake logo'ed billet engine caps and dipstick are Super Snake build only and they won't be available ahead of time. The hood is available.

Of course badging and CSM plates are not going to be sold seperate.

So "if" SA will do this, the brakes, suspension, brake ducts and hood and maybe the pillar gauges? If you are also doing the upgrade cooling system, it is available to the masses.

I may have left some items out, console door, headrest covers, etc., but others will chime in.

Thanks very much for the reply, this is exactly the type of feedback I'm looking for as I wasn't aware about the SS badging on the blower as it lists it as "The exact unit supplied on the Super Snake " package.

The wheels I was previously aware of and the HP I was sure I had seen 850 hp posted somewhere for the 2010 / 2011 vehicles but I could be mistaken.

The other items I figured were available would have been the carbon fibre items but I currently don't see them listed for the 2010 vehicles.

Would it be possible to get a list of what items may be available in the near future from SPP for the 2010 SS.

Also, what is the protocol with items like the blower ?? if the SPP one is purchased and installed would that be accepted as an SS component ??

Thanks again to all and I welcome more feedback

R

I dont think they will let you do that. the program is in place for SA to do the mods. I have seen cars come in there with a blower already installed but they got a 40th package. Most items are "protected" (you must have a CSM) to procure. the CSM programs are SA's bread and butter and they make their living doing packages..

what you propose circumvents the ss program and I would bet they would not accept it.

Good Luck

Even if they'd let you... it seems like it'd be counterproductive to buy in advance, install yourself or pay someone to install, and then still have to pay them for the install...

PLUS, would the invoice show that this happened? If so, I would think that resale value would be affected if you had a partially home built SS, regardless of quality...

good luck though!

I've been thinking about having my 2010 GT-500 SuperSnaked for a while now but with business being down about 60% this last couple of years it just doesn't make financial sense right now.

So, I'm considering purchasing components as money permits then dropping it off next year at a mod shop for completion.

If I am to understand correctly, any Supersnake component parts purchased from Shelby directly will be discounted from the final completion price when it is dropped off for striping and wheels etc. with the exception of the labor.

First...could I get confirmation on this....

Next, if this is correct, are there specific components for each package that will be accepted.

(I wouldn't want to order a brake package for a lower HP group then find out it is not acceptable for a higher hp group)

I'm not sure if any SS owners have gone this route but I would certainly appreciate the feedback if they have.

I am looking towards the 850 hp version and would like a list of components that can be purchased from Shelby that I could start with and roughly what the completion costs to be incurred.

Thanks..

I've built my Gt500 using parts from Shelby including the super snake super charger, suspension, brakes,gears, drive shaft, wheels and tires, but it is just a modded GT500 and will never be a super snake. I new this when I started the upgrades. Finacially it made sense for me.

Mike

I dont think they will let you do that. the program is in place for SA to do the mods. I have seen cars come in there with a blower already installed but they got a 40th package. Most items are "protected" (you must have a CSM) to procure. the CSM programs are SA's bread and butter and they make their living doing packages..

what you propose circumvents the ss program and I would bet they would not accept it.

Good Luck

Even if they'd let you... it seems like it'd be counterproductive to buy in advance, install yourself or pay someone to install, and then still have to pay them for the install...

PLUS, would the invoice show that this happened? If so, I would think that resale value would be affected if you had a partially home built SS, regardless of quality...

good luck though!

You might me correct in this statement, hence the inquiry..

I was looking more towards the fact Spp does offer some decent discounts on components from time to time which may be benificial as well as the strong exchange rate right now.

it's an easier pill to swallow at $5k or so then move on rather than dishing out $40k over a couple of months.

If it can't be done or is counterproductive then so be it I'll just have to wait is all but if it is possible I can start ordering certain items over the winter and having them installed possibly by next year complete the project.

Again this is a fact finding mission is all..

Yes this can be done but as others have said you'll need guidance to preclude duplication and extra cost. I would suggest first of all that you don't buy the Alcoa's or the SC as they have a unique Shelby "logo".

I'm going to assume that you're going to have SHM do the work, give them a call they'll get you hooked up. You can also talk to a TS member here (Pucky) as he just went through what you are suggesting and I'm sure others have as well.

Good luck on your build!

The suspension items, springs, sway bars, etc. are also available through SPP. The brake ducts are available through SPP. The original style gauge pod is available through SPP, but I am not sure about the pillar set-up.

Robert,

A couple of points to add to your post;

On the suspension components: I know Roger said Shelby would give you a $1100 discount if you already had the FRPP FR3 handling pack on your car (not sure if that applies to the Eibach 'upgrade' or not).

I bought my FR3 kit from Tousley Ford for $1347.50 which is either 10% over cost, or cost + $200.oo (Tousley charges which ever is less). Then I have to add the labor to install it all. In this case, I'm installing it myself but even then, "time is money".

So they (Shelby) discount you $1100 for a ~$1700 (MSRP) part and still charge you for the labor to install it.

If I calculate it right, $1100 is the DEALER COST for a FRPP FR3 handling pack (or there about).

In my book, that is NO savings for the customer. You are far better off having Shelby install the parts (suspension pack) then to pay $1350-$1695 for it and have it installed, or install it yourself.

As far as the brake ducting being available via Shelby... Not that I can find. At least not for the 2010+ MY cars. They don't use the "through the grille" ducting on the '10's and newer cars anymore and I've tried multiple times to get someone from Shelby to tell me if the "under car intake ducts" are available/for sale through Shelby with NO luck.

AND, if you have a '09 or earlier car, the FRPP ducts apparently are no longer available either, at least not to the GP.

So unless Shelby has a ton of them sitting in their inventory, they are no longer available. I see Robert has posted pics of a backing plate that is "available soon"...but "soon" is a reletive term around here (not picking on Robert, just observing the status quo).

I'm not sure about the FRPP/Whipple 2.9L having Shelby badging on it. So far, every photo I've seen with the Whipple on a SS has the FRPP logo on it but I can't see the pulley end (for the SS logo, such as is on a KB).

Just thought I'd add my $0.02,

Phill Pollard

Robert,

A couple of points to add to your post;

I see Robert has posted pics of a backing plate that is "available soon"...but "soon" is a reletive term around here (not picking on Robert, just observing the status quo).

I'm not sure about the FRPP/Whipple 2.9L having Shelby badging on it. So far, every photo I've seen with the Whipple on a SS has the FRPP logo on it but I can't see the pulley end (for the SS logo, such as is on a KB).

Just thought I'd add my $0.02,

Phill Pollard

Phill - Which backing plate is going to be "soon available"? I'm not familiar............

I do think that only KB is offering SS logo'ed blowers, the other blower options are the generic logo's that everyone else can buy. This could have changed, but when I asked this question a few months ago, when the 750 horse was mentioned, and then the 800 horse, KB was the only vendor offering the Super Snake plate on the inlet and Super Snake on the pulley.

R

Yes this can be done but as others have said you'll need guidance to preclude duplication and extra cost. I would suggest first of all that you don't buy the Alcoa's or the SC as they have a unique Shelby "logo".

I'm going to assume that you're going to have SHM do the work, give them a call they'll get you hooked up. You can also talk to a TS member here (Pucky) as he just went through what you are suggesting and I'm sure others have as well.

Good luck on your build!

You might be correct in this statement, hence the inquiry..

I was looking more towards the fact Spp does offer some decent discounts on components from time to time which may be benificial as well as the strong exchange rate right now.

it's an easier pill to swallow at $5k or so then move on rather than dishing out $40k over a couple of months.

If it can't be done or is counterproductive then so be it I'll just have to wait is all but if it is possible I can start ordering certain items over the winter and having them installed possibly by next year complete the project.

Again this is a fact finding mission is all..

Contact Sean Hyland. I'm pretty sure they will let you build your SS in stages. Any upgrades that they do for you are then subtracted from the SS package price. They told me they would do this when I had them install 3.73 gears and when I went in and ordered my SS package they subtracted the price of the rear end from the total.

Contact Sean Hyland. I'm pretty sure they will let you build your SS in stages. Any upgrades that they do for you are then subtracted from the SS package price. They told me they would do this when I had them install 3.73 gears and when I went in and ordered my SS package they subtracted the price of the rear end from the total.

For single items, this is a possibility after review by the managment team and under certain conditions. To build a car with parts, IE; SC, brakes, exhaust, shifter, gauges etc. and have the hood, striping and badging done and expect a CSM is NOT possible. No matter who is doing the work. All Mod Center vehicles are inspected by our Field personnel with review of the records indicating exactly what work was performed. Shelby American has the final say on badging, not the Mod Centers.

To build any car, piece by piece and then bring the car in for final badging and then install "authorized" Brand Specific parts dilutes the brand and deteriorates consumer value. Long term values depend upon the integrity of the badging and build process.

Roger

For single items, this is a possibility after review by the managment team and under certain conditions. To build a car with parts, IE; SC, brakes, exhaust, shifter, gauges etc. and have the hood, striping and badging done and expect a CSM is NOT possible. No matter who is doing the work. All Mod Center vehicles are inspected by our Field personnel with review of the records indicating exactly what work was performed. Shelby American has the final say on badging, not the Mod Centers.

To build any car, piece by piece and then bring the car in for final badging and then install "authorized" Brand Specific parts dilutes the brand and deteriorates consumer value. Long term values depend upon the integrity of the badging and build process.

Roger

I think this topic can be closed...I'll contact SHM and find out about having the vehicle done in stages.

Thanks to all for your imput regarding this matter !

Roger

^^^^^^^^This is what we (owners of Super Snakes) like to hear from SA.^^^^^^^^^^^^

It does "dilute" the brand and "deteriorate" the value of our cars.

If a CSM number would not be assigned to a "Johnny Cash" Super Snake (the older owners/readers know what I mean), the $$$ saved is minimal in comparision to having a non-CSM'ed Super Snake from a re-sell standpoint for the rest of the cars life.

If the SPP parts were to be installed/used by the owner, and then the CSM number not be assigned, what a large cost to either forget the Super Snake conversion all together, OR have the authorized facility install new parts and the owner sell the take-offs for pennies on the dollar so that the car will get a CSM and have some future value.

R

^^^^^^^^This is what we (owners of Super Snakes) like to hear from SA.^^^^^^^^^^^^

It does "dilute" the brand and "deteriorate" the value of our cars.

If a CSM number would not be assigned to a "Johnny Cash" Super Snake (the older owners/readers know what I mean), the $$$ saved is minimal in comparision to having a non-CSM'ed Super Snake from a re-sell standpoint for the rest of the cars life.

If the SPP parts were to be installed/used by the owner, and then the CSM number not be assigned, what a large cost to either forget the Super Snake conversion all together, OR have the authorized facility install new parts and the owner sell the take-offs for pennies on the dollar so that the car will get a CSM and have some future value.

R

This effort was not intended to dilute the brand in any way shape or form it was simply a fact finding mission to see if there was any cost saving benifit in building a SS in this manner.

The VP of Shelby told me himself this was a possibility so I just asked the questions.

It was simply to purchase the exact SS components through SPP with all the documentation in place and at the latter stages take it to a mod shop for the blower, wheels, stripes etc.

It was not meant to offend anyone with a dime store copy it would have been built to the letter but without dropping 40K in one shot.

I will contact SHM and discuss the possibility of having the car built in stages which I have been informed they will do and that will work nicely for my current financial situation.

Thanks for all the feedback, it gave me the information I was looking for.

Phill - Which backing plate is going to be "soon available"? I'm not familiar............

Robert Lane posted a pic of it, I *THINK* on the Shelby Perf. Parts area of TS forums.

It is fairly plain looking other than the bright finish. It is simply a piece of flat metal with a duct tube welded on it and a 'edge' around the outer circumfrence.

I *think* there was a CS logo on it too (pretty sure, not positive).

I'll see if I can find it but for some reason I really really SUCK when it comes to searching items on TS. Never have much luck with my searches.

It wasn't that long ago....maybe....hmm, 6-8 mos back?

Phill

I think this topic can be closed...I'll contact SHM and find out about having the vehicle done in stages.

Thanks to all for your imput regarding this matter !

Forum closed at the request of the OP.

Archived