TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 Drivetrain vibration and Axle leak - RESOLVED

DaGmen

I am a fairly new owner of a 2010 GT500. I just got car in Sept 2010. The car has 4300 miles on it.

I took the car out for some spirited driving last Saturday; I got it up almost to the end of the speedo! Wow that was fun!!

Anyway on the drive back home after having fun with the car, I started getting a vibration from under the car. It seems to be travelling along the center tunnel right about where the drive shaft would be. The vibration happens exactly at 2500rpm in 2nd gear. It feels like it is coming up from the rear axle and working it way up to the front of the car, almost as if it’s moving up the drive shaft from the back.

A couple of friends and I got under the car last night and looked all around the drive shaft and found a leak coming from the rear axle pumpkin. There was oil splattered all on the passenger side rear muffler and suspension parts and on the axle beam coming out on the right side of the axle pumpkin. The other side of the pumpkin is bone dry not a drop of oil anywhere on anything. We wiped all the oil of all the parts under the car then took a quick drive around the block. We got back under the car and clearly saw oil splattered again over passenger side back corner of the car. Once again the axle beam coming out on the right side of the pumpkin had oil coming out of it.

I did a search on the forum last night and I did find the TSB on the axle leak, which may point to my axle leak. How about the drive shaft like vibration anyone have this on their car? Or does anyone have any ideas on what this vibration could be?

I am going out of the country on vacation for 2 weeks so I will not be able to take the car into dealership until I get back. But I will be making an appointment, ASAP, once I get back.

When pushed in the heat some of these axles have leaked and now they have a tsb for it. They also redesigned the 11s to help them vent better. But if it was already leaking / spaying oil after just a quick drive around the block it sounds more like you have a blown gasket on the one side of the pumkin. Here is the TSB link for the axle leak in the 2010s: TSB 10-3-7 Shelby 2010.pdf

I had a driveline vibration at a specific SPEED of the driveshaft ( miles per hour ), not RPM related. Are you sure yours is RPM related? Mine was fixed by them removing some spacers from the mid support on the driveshaft. That was a Ford Engineering fix.

Well it happens at 2500 RPM in 1st or 2nd Gear...but next time I drive it I will check your theory out. I will share the info about the spacers on the drive shaft when I take car in for service.

Thanks!

I had a driveline vibration at a specific SPEED of the driveshaft ( miles per hour ), not RPM related. Are you sure yours is RPM related? Mine was fixed by them removing some spacers from the mid support on the driveshaft. That was a Ford Engineering fix.

Chris your the expert here,and Im not, but Im thinking isnt the driveshaft RPM related---bob

• 3 weeks later...

Just got call from service manager at dealership....

The tech drove the car out on the highway and did not find anything unusual....the tech states the vibration is normal for the car to do that.....the axle leak is due to the TSB, they have part on back-order, so once that part comes in, they will install and that will resolve the axle leak issue. They checked the transmission and axle pumpkin everything checks out ok, they claim.

I am going to pick the car up this afternoon and bring it home. I will drive the car over the next couple of weeks and see if the problem gets better or worse. I may have to take car to another dealership for a second opinion.

One thing I should say that on the drive to the dealership yesterday the vibration had decreased slightly and was not happening at 2500rpm anymore....it was more random and happening mostly on the coast down to a stop.

Chris your the expert here,and Im not, but Im thinking isnt the driveshaft RPM related---bob

Driveshaft speed (RPM) is directly proportional to vehicle speed, not to engine speed (RPM).

The driveshaft is connected to the pinion gear. The pinion gear rides on the ring gear. The ring gear mounts on the carrier and the carrier is attached to the axles (via side/spider gears) which are then attached to the wheels.

So the faster the WHEELS spin, the faster the driveshaft spins.

The engine RPM is dependant on what GEAR you are in. 4000 RPM in 1st gear gets you a MUCH different driveshaft speed than 4000 RPM in 6th gear.

That's because there is a multiple gear transmission between the engine and the driveshaft.

Do you see my point?

Phill (or did I make it confusing by complicating things?)

Driveshaft speed (RPM) is directly proportional to vehicle speed, not to engine speed (RPM).

The driveshaft is connected to the pinion gear. The pinion gear rides on the ring gear. The ring gear mounts on the carrier and the carrier is attached to the axles (via side/spider gears) which are then attached to the wheels.

The engine RPM is dependant on what GEAR you are in. 4000 RPM in 1st gear gets you a MUCH different driveshaft speed than 4000 RPM in 6th gear.

That's because there is a multiple gear transmission between the engine and the driveshaft.

Do you see my point?

Phil thanks--very good explanation--bob

Do you see my point?

Phil I would say thats a good explanation pretty straight forward .

I was talking to my friend last night after I got the car back home and he suggested that maybe the driveshaft is out of balance? Is that possible? Has anyone else experienced something similar? Could my hard accelarations have put the driveshaft out of balance?

Could my hard accelarations have put the driveshaft out of balance?

No, not likely.

Usually a ding in the DS will cause a imbalance.

Or a u-joint that is starting to fail, but then you usually get other symptoms too (like noise).

I've also see driveshafts shed their balance weights. THAT will cause a sudden imbalance. And it's generally easy to spot. Look on the DS to see if there is a "shadow" where the weight was and a spot left from the spot weld they use to attach the weight.

Phill

Sad but true, I do remember seeing a do ityourself type fix for driveshafts, Take two hose clamps, the ones with the screw that you tighten to bring the strap tighter, attach them next to each other and with the screws next to each other and tighten, drive and see if this solves it, If not then move them slightly apart (not along the length of the DS) just move the two screw assemblies further apart by twisting one, test again and repeat as needed.

I can't 100% remember if this is exactly how it was done but have read about this several times with classics to try and solve a vibration in the DS.

peter

Sad but true, I do remember seeing a do ityourself type fix for driveshafts, Take two hose clamps, the ones with the screw that you tighten to bring the strap tighter, attach them next to each other and with the screws next to each other and tighten, drive and see if this solves it, If not then move them slightly apart (not along the length of the DS) just move the two screw assemblies further apart by twisting one, test again and repeat as needed.

I can't 100% remember if this is exactly how it was done but have read about this several times with classics to try and solve a vibration in the DS.

peter

YEP! I'm a (former/retired) professional Tech and that's how I've always done it. It works....and it works GREAT too. I never used two, I always used one unless I needed more weight then I'd add the second clamp. You start off with the car on a rack, running in gear with the DS spinning. Hold a piece of yellow tire chalk close to the DS and get it closer until it touches. If it's slightly bent, the chalk mark only goes partially around the DS and you put the worm screw where the chalk mark isn't (the "low" spot). That's where you'd start and then work it around from there.

If you were a shade tree mechanic (i.e. a "Okie" LOL!) you could leave the clamp there for your cure but quite frankly, it's not a cure, it's just a diagnosis tool. Once you assertain that it is a DS balance problem you send the DS to a shop and have it balanced. We had a driveshaft specialty shop in a nearby town that would balance them for us...or build you one from scratch with whatever combination of yokes, CV joints, lengths, diameters, etc. you wanted. I miss that shop!

I think it was Driveline Specialties (or "Services") in Castorville CA, if I remember right.

Phill

One thing that I neglected to mention in my original post/write-up and I cant beleive I left this out!! My fingers were not moving in sync with my brain at the time of the posting!!

Anyway when we were driving the car that day at over 100mph we heard a loud bang come from under the car, it sounded as if a rock or something got kicked up onto the underside of the car. I immediately put the car in nuetral and brought the car to a stop. We got out and looked all around the car and took a quick look underneath the car, from the rear. We did not see any damage or anything unusual anywhere. So we got back in and got back up to speed again. Then about a mile later I made a u-turn and gunned the car hard back up to 100mph, no problems no vibrations, nothing.

The first time we noticed the vibration was when we came to a stop at a red light in town, as I coasted down, in nuetral, we felt the vibration come up the driveshaft/center tunnel area. This continued almost each time I would come to a stop or slow down the car.

Based on all the driveshaft vibration related reading I have done, It could be that the loud bang we heard was a weight coming off the DS? Although the service tech that looked at the car this week, stated he does not see anything missing???

• 3 weeks later...

Good news the problem has been resolved!!

I went back to the first dealer today to get the axle leak TSB applied and fixed. Today the service tech went on a drive with me in the car and I was able to demonstrate and show him the vibration. He immediately noticed it and knew to look at the driveshaft. While I was talking to the tech he stated that during the previous visit he did not check the driveshaft as he was (incorrectly) informed by the service manage to check for a noise, not a vibration! Thus he never even looked at the driveshaft!

Anyway today he gets the car up on the lift and in just a matter of few minutes finds the problem! The service manager told me that they will have to replace the entire driveshaft; it has been ordered and will arrive in a couple of weeks. The service manager stated the tech told him that the driveshaft has lost a "bearing" and that is the cause of the vibration. This would explain the loud "bang" we heard under the car that day when the problem first started! I did not get a chance to speak with the service tech, but when I go back I will get the exact details on what he found.

Needless to say I am very relieved that the issue has been found and will very shortly get resolved. It should only take a week or two for the part to arrive.

ChrisSD:

You were right about the speed VS RPM issue. The last couple of times I drove the car I watched when the vibration was happening and regardless of gear it was happening exactly at 30mph. When I took the tech for the drive today I showed him and told him that.

Thanks for the tip!

The service manager stated the tech told him that the driveshaft has lost a "bearing" and that is the cause of the vibration.

There is a "carrier bearing" in the middle, between the front and rear section of the DS.

It sounds like it shed a (ball?) bearing, which *would* show up as a vibration. AND, give you the !BANG! you heard.

Phill

Archived