TEAM SHELBY FORUM

3rd gen hood scoop

I am getting my hood scoop replaced and the body shop said that there is some kind of rubber piece between the hood and the hood scoop. The new one that I got in the box does not have one. Ford says that it is not needed. Has anyone had a 3rd gen scoop installed with no spacer installed. No whistling or other problems?. Ford also says that if I put the old one on after I take care of the stripes it will bend the hood. Can anyone explain this to me?

There is no spacer, and there never was one that I've ever seen (I've had all three versions of the scoop) so I'm not sure what gave the body shop the idea that there was. Are you the first owner? Maybe the previous owner tried a self fix?

There is also no issue, that I have ever heard, or heard of, about any "whistling" etc. I'm also not sure what Ford means by bending the hood in relation to new stripes and an old scoop. Now the old scoops can flex and bend in the heat and that can pull on the hood and dig into the new stripes so perhaps that's what they meant?

All that said there are concerns about bending and dimpling the hood if the installer is not careful with the rivets and punches into the hood's inner layer. This causes the outer layer to be pulled down and you can visibly see it near and around the rivet.

Please review the Hood Scoop thread for hints, tips, techniques, etc., and pick those items you want to print to give your installer.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31128-the-hood-scoop-thread/

I think the spacer he is refering to is the foam/plastic pillow that was included with one of the many versions. I actually received this versions but chose not to install it at the time because I heard there were problems (sink marks in the scoop) so I waited until the final (resin) version came out before having mine replaced. I have a brand new replacement scoop in a box that has the "pillow" that I keep meaning to send off to have Carrol sign.

I think the spacer he is refering to is the foam/plastic pillow that was included with one of the many versions. I actually received this versions but chose not to install it at the time because I heard there were problems (sink marks in the scoop) so I waited until the final (resin) version came out before having mine replaced. I have a brand new replacement scoop in a box that has the "pillow" that I keep meaning to send off to have Carrol sign.

Oh ok...got it! Yea, I was thinking a gasket of some kind acting as a spacer.

The pillow was actually the 2nd generation scoop! It had the foam insert meant to give the scoop support and prevent them from getting that dip in the middle. Good call Don!

So yes, that pillow is no longer needed.

Thanks again Don for the walk around memory lane! BTW I've always wanted to send it in, I mean if I had one of course, but I've always been afraid it would get confiscated...if in fact I had one. :dance:

Thanks for the pillow talk. I bought the 08 new and I guess it had the 2nd gen on it. I hope I never have to talk about the stripes or hood scoop again.

Thanks for the pillow talk. I bought the 08 new and I guess it had the 2nd gen on it. I hope I never have to talk about the stripes or hood scoop again.

I can tell you that in the almost two years I've had My Gen 3 scoop, even in 100 degree weather, its held up just fine!

Keeping my fingers crossed for us all!

Jeff, was the last scoop used by Shelby for the repair made from fiberglass. At least that is what I recall.

I've seen people say that but I didn't have time to really look myself before my final scoop went on.

While I never saw any official word on materials maybe someone else did and can point us to the message. I've seen some posts where the scoop is unpainted underneath and it looks that way. But be good to know for sure!

Meanwhile, for me, what ever it's made of, has held up fine thus far!

I am getting my hood scoop replaced and the body shop said that there is some kind of rubber piece between the hood and the hood scoop. The new one that I got in the box does not have one. Ford says that it is not needed. Has anyone had a 3rd gen scoop installed with no spacer installed. No whistling or other problems?. Ford also says that if I put the old one on after I take care of the stripes it will bend the hood. Can anyone explain this to me?

The rubber piece your shop mentioned is actually black medium density foam. It was used in an attempt to keep the soft plastic 1st generation SGT hood scoop from collapsing as they got really soft when left in the sun. A photo of the piece you are talking about is shown below. The 1st and 2nd generation scoops expanded and contracted with temperature changes and destroyed the vinyl stripes that were sandwiched between the scoop and the hood.

The 3rd generation SGT hood scoop is a rough copy of the Heath scoop. It is made of standard fiberglass and does not use (or need) a foam spacer to support it though it does use an internal molded in brace. The 3rd generation scoop is normally attached with pop rivits but many owners have attached theirs with the Rivit-Nuts used with the Heath scoop.

The Heath scoop is stronger, displays a higher level of finish, requires no internal ribs or bracing of any kind, and can withstand higher temperatures because it is laid up by hand using aviation grade vinyl ester resin glass mat cloth. This makes it especially well suited to open scoop applications.

I hope this helps.

Chip

post-12804-078133400 1289333591_thumb.jpg

post-12804-028031600 1289333601_thumb.jpg

post-12804-068166200 1289333609_thumb.jpg

post-12804-006583800 1289333618_thumb.jpg

The rubber piece your shop mentioned is actually black medium density foam. It was used in an attempt to keep the soft plastic 1st generation SGT hood scoop from collapsing as they got really soft when left in the sun. A photo of the piece you are talking about is shown below. The 1st and 2nd generation scoops expanded and contracted with temperature changes and destroyed the vinyl stripes that were sandwiched between the scoop and the hood.

The 3rd generation SGT hood scoop is a rough copy of the Heath scoop. It is made of standard fiberglass and does not use (or need) a foam spacer to support it though it does use an internal molded in brace. The 3rd generation scoop is normally attached with pop rivits but many owners have attached theirs with the Rivit-Nuts used with the Heath scoop.

The Heath scoop is stronger, displays a higher level of finish, requires no internal ribs or bracing of any kind, and can withstand higher temperatures because it is laid up by hand using aviation grade vinyl ester resin glass mat cloth. This makes it especially well suited to open scoop applications.

I hope this helps.

Chip

Good background info!

Thanks Chip!

Archived