TEAM SHELBY FORUM

07-09 differences from 10-11

nsted3

Hey I am a new member, non cobra owner. I currently own a 700hp Acura RSX Type-S that has turned into a daily driven race car. I am looking for something more steetable but still fun and sporty. My father once owned a 98' SVT Cobra and I always loved that car and have decided to purchase a 07-09 GT500. I chose that year because of cost. I have a few questions though since I am not so familiar with the car....

What are the main differences between the 07-09 and 10-11 models? I want to know what I would be missing out on by purchasing a used older model. Maybe some of the parts that I like on the 10-11 GT500's can be purchased and put on the older models?

What issues are these cars having? I heard about the wheel hop and that does not bother me but this clutch/flywheel issue does. Any other issues or can anyone shed any light on the clutch/flywheel issue? I have heard many different stories and variations as far as a solution is concerned.

Lastly I am curious about that navigation setup that is available. Does this setup play DVD's and do all years of the GT500 have that "Good afternoon Shelby owner" message and logo when it is turned on or is it only on the new models? I saw a picture of the screen showing that message but I couldn't find out if that was only on the new models or all models. Also can you have the navigation setup and still retain the Shaker 1000 option?

Thanks for the help guys.

I believe the main differences are suspension, aluminum block, more aggressive tuning,exhaust and organic clutch vs the ceramic. You can confirm this by searching for any of the Car and Driver or other reviews. Look at grabbers thread on clutch TSBs for lots of info. It is a sticky in the 07-09 GT500 performance area I believe. I have an 07GT500 and love my car but I have to say the new ones are fantastic! They took a lot of what the aftermarket brought to the table in 07-09 and made it factory.

I believe the main differences are suspension, aluminum block, more aggressive tuning,exhaust and organic clutch vs the ceramic. You can confirm this by searching for any of the Car and Driver or other reviews. Look at grabbers thread on clutch TSBs for lots of info. It is a sticky in the 07-09 GT500 performance area I believe. I have an 07GT500 and love my car but I have to say the new ones are fantastic! They took a lot of what the aftermarket brought to the table in 07-09 and made it factory.

Thanks for the reply. Also thanks for the awesome exhaust comparison video on Youtube (I recognized your name). Yeah I love the new ones but unfortunately I can not afford one. I am really worried about this clutch thing and when I get my GT500 in the new 2 months I really want a new clutch put in so I don't have any issues, I hope I don't have a problem getting that completed. Did you get yours replaced for free? Can you shed any light on the navigation and Shaker 1000 system?

I found the 2010 GT500 reviews online but unforunately I cannot find the 07, 08, or 09 review.

Hey I am a new member, non cobra owner. I currently own a 700hp Acura RSX Type-S that has turned into a daily driven race car. I am looking for something more steetable but still fun and sporty. My father once owned a 98' SVT Cobra and I always loved that car and have decided to purchase a 07-09 GT500. I chose that year because of cost. I have a few questions though since I am not so familiar with the car....

What are the main differences between the 07-09 and 10-11 models? I want to know what I would be missing out on by purchasing a used older model. Maybe some of the parts that I like on the 10-11 GT500's can be purchased and put on the older models?

What issues are these cars having? I heard about the wheel hop and that does not bother me but this clutch/flywheel issue does. Any other issues or can anyone shed any light on the clutch/flywheel issue? I have heard many different stories and variations as far as a solution is concerned.

Lastly I am curious about that navigation setup that is available. Does this setup play DVD's and do all years of the GT500 have that "Good afternoon Shelby owner" message and logo when it is turned on or is it only on the new models? I saw a picture of the screen showing that message but I couldn't find out if that was only on the new models or all models. Also can you have the navigation setup and still retain the Shaker 1000 option?

Try to find one with a build date of Sept. 2008 and after as they have the new flywheel. I have an 09 with the old flywheel but haven't had any problems yet in the 2 years I've owned it. The newer ones have much more forgiving clutch that feels lighter than 07 to 09. My clutch is stiff and start offs were tricky in the beginning, but I kind of like it now that I'm used to it. As for the navigation only the 2010s and up say "Good Afternoon" and have the Shelby Snake Logo. Mine will display the "Ford Logo" but that's about it and it will not play DVD's. I don't think you can get the Shaker 1000 and Nav. but I could be wrong. Mine has the Shaker 500 plus Nav. and it is plenty loud for me.

I've owned both an 09 and an 11, so maybe I can help...

The biggest apparent differences to me are the interior and the suspension.

Interior: The 2010+ interior is much improved over the 07-09 interior. It's a night and day difference in quality. Plus, the newer cars have Sync, which gives you hands free bluetooth phone along with a really nice media interface. There isn't much that can be done with the 07-09 interior, it is what it is.

Suspension: Big difference here as well. With the stock suspension on my 09, the car would jump around horribly if you hit a bump in a fast turn. There was quite a bit of body roll in turns as well. The upshot is that the car is fast in a straight line, but not so much in the twisties. You can fix this with suspension mods, but you'll spend a few thousand to do it properly (I did). The stock suspension on my non-PP 11 is much improved over the 09. Less body roll, it doesn't jump around in turns when you hit a bump, and it handles much better in the twisties. Add the SVTPP option and you have a road course ready track car. Mine is a daily driver, so I have no desire or need to mod the suspension on it.

The 07-09 GT500 is an awesome car, but the 10-11 models (esp. the 11) are much improved. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies guys. As much as I love the look of the inside and outside of the 2010-2011 I just can't afford it. I'm looking at mostly an 2007-2008 because of cost, 2009's are even a little steep in cost for me. I think I am going to go with the Shaker 1000 system and then just buy an aftermarket HU with the navigation and DVD setup, that is what I did in my current vehicle. As far as the clutch being hard versus soft, I am used to hard. I have a stage 4 clutch on my rsx with a very tough pressure plate and my dad's old 98' cobra had a very stiff clutch and notchy shift gates due to the technology available back then most likely. The harder the clutch pedal is to depress the better it is in my book. I hate soft clutches that most economy cars have to offer.

So since I am looking at an older model, it looks like I will be getting an old flywheel and clutch. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the old and new flywheel? I heard people say not everyone has issues, but I would think everyone does. I bet not everyone gets to notice it because they don't daily drive their GT500. This will be my daily driver so I suspect I will run into the issue during rush hour in south Florida. Luckily I might still have an old connect at a local Ford dealership, maybe I can get lucky if the car I get still has a factory warrenty.

One key difference is the rear-end of the cars. The '10 and newer is a different style and less retro look with cut off corners. It seemed to be a fairly controversial item early on but maybe its growing on a wider crowd. The 07-09 look more traditional.....to each there own

The '05-'09 body style is what prompted me to grab my '09, just one year after buying an '08 Bullitt Still not regretting the choice, as I like the '07-'09 that much better than the current style. Hopefully we'll see something really cool in store for 2014, but at least I already have the two best examples of S197 body style.

Kind of wondering if before long, we'll be driving an SVT Cobra "E"...for Electric. Crank up the volts! :)

One key difference is the rear-end of the cars. The '10 and newer is a different style and less retro look with cut off corners. It seemed to be a fairly controversial item early on but maybe its growing on a wider crowd. The 07-09 look more traditional.....to each there own

"maybe its growing on a wider crowd" :headscratch:

There is no choice. It's what it is.

The '05-'09 body style is what prompted me to grab my '09, just one year after buying an '08 Bullitt Still not regretting the choice, as I like the '07-'09 that much better than the current style. Hopefully we'll see something really cool in store for 2014, but at least I already have the two best examples of S197 body style.

Kind of wondering if before long, we'll be driving an SVT Cobra "E"...for Electric. Crank up the volts! :)

Hey oldlugs....You are a guy after my heart! The main reason I bought my '07 500 was because of the retro-look, and special ordered it white/blue stripe as well for retro (early) GT350's. Thinking this would be "the color" down the road someday for the true enthusiast.

To take it one step further, you have a Bullitt? OMG, almost bought my dealers last '09 Highland Green car before I left the states. I wanted the two cars as bookends! Lol. The wife poopoo'ed it! Oh well, you gotta choose your battles. I WILL own a Bullitt someday. I'm praying there is some guy out there today preserving one for me. Hahahaha.

For now, I have the 500 for sale and am going to order a NEW GT350. :happy feet:

"maybe its growing on a wider crowd" :headscratch: There is no choice. It's what it is.

Lots of choices....2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, KR....etc..... :hysterical::headscratch::redcard:

:headscratch:

"Lots of Choices": For used vehicles.

"Maybe growing on a wider crowd"...there is no choice to the rear end style, the carved rear is now what you get. The fact that the cars are selling?

The rear end is what it is.

Not if you put an "SMS" rear kit on it.........

Steve Saleen fixed the "Bent Butt" fugly rear end........

Does look a little bit better.

SMS Mustang Pricing and Order Information

SMS 460 Mustang Coupe MSRP $64,990.00

SMS 460 Mustang Convertible MSRP $69,990.00

SMS 460X Mustang Coupe MSRP $85,961.00

:hysterical3: SMS 460X Mustang Convertible MSRP $90,961.00

I like the front end, motor/trans and interior on the 10-11, but I definetly like the rear end better on the 07-09, but thats just my preference.

What does everyone know about the SLP loudmouths? I like the sound but one day will probably end up with a high flow cat or most likely a delete since no tests are conducted in FL for emissions. Do you think it will be too loud? Will you still be able to hear the supercharger? Right now I am running and straight 3" exhaust with no cat but a resonator and a muffler on my turbocharged acura rsx. I am running open dump on the wastegate too so it's pretty damn loud. I wonder if the SLP setup would be louder....

Probably would because I am going from a resonator and a muffler to just a cat and open pipe or straight open piping.

Does look a little bit better.

SMS Mustang Pricing and Order Information

SMS 460 Mustang Coupe MSRP $64,990.00

SMS 460 Mustang Convertible MSRP $69,990.00

SMS 460X Mustang Coupe MSRP $85,961.00

:hysterical3: SMS 460X Mustang Convertible MSRP $90,961.00

So know you saying there is a choice...butt ugly and saleen options? I'm confused now :hysterical::hysterical:

I thought you liked my rear???? :slapfight: Maybe it's just the Alcoa's you like.

Some people like the SMS rear end, but not me. I think it look worse. Just my opinion...

The current "SALEEN MUSTANG" does not belong to Steve Saleen............

The "SMS" is his design..............You sure your looking at the "SMS"?????

They gave the rear a much more aggressive look...........

So know you saying there is a choice...butt ugly and saleen options? I'm confused now :hysterical::hysterical:

ARG :slapfight:

There are are lots of choices:

Mopar, GM, Rice, Walking... :hysterical:

2008vistablue

"maybe its growing on a wider crowd"

There is no choice when ordering a 2011. The rear is what it is.

DDT sugested the SMS option. My response was. :hysterical:

Cause of the $$ for what you get.

ARG :slapfight:

There are are lots of choices:

Mopar, GM, Rice, Walking... :hysterical:

2008vistablue

"maybe its growing on a wider crowd"

There is no choice when ordering a 2011. The rear is what it is.

DDT sugested the SMS option. My response was. :hysterical:

Cause of the $$ for what you get.

How much can an A$$ end body kit cost???????? :hysterical:

Just fix the "FUGLY BUTT" and save $$$$$$$$$................................. :salute:

:headscratch:

No fixing it.

Imagine:

Ford has a rear option.

Choose either the 2007-2009 rear

Or

2010 - 2011 Rear.

:lurk:

Now that would be a popular Factory Option................

But would it make our 2007-2009s less valuable?????????? :hysterical:

RE: loudmouths. I went for the SLP standards and not the Loudmouths as I found them too loud on my buddies GT (although his has headers as well) The sound is much richer than the stock mufflers but still not loud as you heard in the video. Just did a track day and folks were commenting how quiet my car was. The charger you dont really hear that much and I have put on a K&N CAI and that allows more sound to come into the cabin but its not like the guys with aftermarket SCs that whine all the time, Basically they seem to have really contained the sound of the SC for daily driver use. I actually found the car w/o any mufflers at all to sound excellent (during the install of the SLPs) There is a distinct drone at 2k revs with the SLP powerflows I have (as with my friends GT that has the loudmouths) its quite annoying and my buddy actually removed his loudmouths to put on another brand due to the drone.

Peter

RE: loudmouths. I went for the SLP standards and not the Loudmouths as I found them too loud on my buddies GT (although his has headers as well) The sound is much richer than the stock mufflers but still not loud as you heard in the video. Just did a track day and folks were commenting how quiet my car was. The charger you dont really hear that much and I have put on a K&N CAI and that allows more sound to come into the cabin but its not like the guys with aftermarket SCs that whine all the time, Basically they seem to have really contained the sound of the SC for daily driver use. I actually found the car w/o any mufflers at all to sound excellent (during the install of the SLPs) There is a distinct drone at 2k revs with the SLP powerflows I have (as with my friends GT that has the loudmouths) its quite annoying and my buddy actually removed his loudmouths to put on another brand due to the drone.

Peter

I thought Ford was only dampening the sound of the supercharger's on the 10-11 models? I could be wrong but I thought I read that....

Yeah I like the loudmouths but if I add a cat-less x-pipe it will be too loud. I think I am going to go with a cat-less x-pipe and a differen't exhaust. I haven't decided on which yet, maybe a full Basani setup?

Does someone mind telling me where all 10 speaker locations are in the car with the Shaker 1000 system? I know there are 2 on each of the doors and the 2 in the trunk which equals 6 speakers so where are the other 4?

Sides of rear seats (2), rear deck (2), front doors (total 4), and subs in trunk (2). Lots of speakers...

Sides of rear seats (2), rear deck (2), front doors (total 4), and subs in trunk (2). Lots of speakers...

Thanks for clearing that up. Right now I am looking for a black coupe with stripes. I dont want the red or white stripes though. Is it just me or is there 2 different silver stripes available? Seems like a light silver and then a dark gunmetal colored silver.

Archived