TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MSRP around Chicago area?

venom

Well I've waited it out till now. It'll be 3 years since I sold my '03 Cobra. I've never went longer than a month without a Mustang in my garage and I've made it 3 whole years!

Anyway, my patience is just about up. I'm not sure I can go through another season without a hot rod. That said. Does anyone know of any GT500's that can be had for MSRP around Chicago? I'd be willing to drive to a neighboring state as well (WI, IN, MO).

If the "Stealers" don't come off the ADMs, I'm going to be seriously looking at..Dare I say it...A Chebbie (yup, a vette) or maybe a DAJ (used Viper). I am a true Blue Oval type of guy but the hype of this car is insane and could have been avoided if they just took 6 letters of the trunk. But I digress...

Not that I can't afford to pay an insane ADM, I just won't. I value the money I earn and I have to justify the money I'm spending for any car. And I can't deal with over 45K for this coupe

If you have to have a "Hot Rod" now, I would look for something other that a GT500. They are out there but dealers are sitting on them wanting the higher ADM. It looks like most of the MSRP and small ADM's went to the GT qualified dealers that were not used to getting ADM's. They all got one car and they are most likley gone. If you want to stay with FORD and stay under 45K, the Roush cars might be your best option.

Well I've waited it out till now. It'll be 3 years since I sold my '03 Cobra. I've never went longer than a month without a Mustang in my garage and I've made it 3 whole years!

Anyway, my patience is just about up. I'm not sure I can go through another season without a hot rod. That said. Does anyone know of any GT500's that can be had for MSRP around Chicago? I'd be willing to drive to a neighboring state as well (WI, IN, MO).

If the "Stealers" don't come off the ADMs, I'm going to be seriously looking at..Dare I say it...A Chebbie (yup, a vette) or maybe a DAJ (used Viper). I am a true Blue Oval type of guy but the hype of this car is insane and could have been avoided if they just took 6 letters of the trunk. But I digress...

Not that I can't afford to pay an insane ADM, I just won't. I value the money I earn and I have to justify the money I'm spending for any car. And I can't deal with over 45K for this coupe

If it helps you make a decision, and this is something that you may already be aware of, but a friend just purchased a loaded 07' Z06 at M.S.R.P., and the deal still ended up being $85,000.00 OTD.

I was floored. Chevy or not, it can't be denied that the Z06 is a formidible car, but WTF is GM thinking on the price point for that car? All Corvettes went up about $7,500.00 from 2006 pricing, why? Is GM trying to fix their financial problems off the back of one car in their line up?

$85,000.00 before an ADM?? It's a great car, but not for $85,000.00!! I wonder what the dealers are getting for their ADM's if the "base" price is so friggin high.

And you may already know this too, but as nice as Vipor's are, be aware that they have a bone marrow jarring, knock the fillings out of your teeth, truck like ride that you just can't fix.

I'm afraid you're going to have a tough time finding one for MSRP anytime soon. Not that it hasn't been done, but a bunch of people on this forum have searched high and low for such a deal, and I don't think they're out there anymore. Especially when you consider that there are several dealerships out there that have been willing to pay over MSRP for them. I was thinking used Viper also if I couldn't find a deal I could live with. One thing to keep in mind if you'd settle for a used Viper - their is bound to be some very nice used GT500's on the market in the not too distant future.

Thanks guys.

Exactly what I was afraid of regarding ADMs etc.

I too have read that the Vipers ride very rough. I would only be looking at the C6 (non Z06) since that's in my price range (justification range!!!) although I'd really have a hard time owning "Bow Tie". I'm paying for my next sports car with cash and frankly, I just can't justify plunking down more than say 50K on a car that's only going to see Warm Sunny-Day drives! I guess if I win the lottery, my outlook would definitley change but for now it's reality

Thanks guys.

Exactly what I was afraid of regarding ADMs etc.

I too have read that the Vipers ride very rough. I would only be looking at the C6 (non Z06) since that's in my price range (justification range!!!) although I'd really have a hard time owning "Bow Tie". I'm paying for my next sports car with cash and frankly, I just can't justify plunking down more than say 50K on a car that's only going to see Warm Sunny-Day drives! I guess if I win the lottery, my outlook would definitley change but for now it's reality

Hey Venom, you might find a GT500 for around 50k(maybe a little more) because that already includes some ADM. THey MSRP in low 40s (if I am correct). Try ebay. Plus, you never now, the hype might die down a bit once the 2008s are released. A C6 will still run you up in similar numbers, I know this because a cousin of mine just bought one. The car was pretty much at clearance because they had the new models coming out. He also bought it in Northern Ca biggest Vette store. OTD he hit low 50s. I know it hurts to pay ADM but really, ask anybody here (except me bc I dont have one yet :banghead: ) but the car is worth it. Vettes are just everywhere and blend in too much, not uniqueness to them. Vipers....more rare but still...the news one lost their touch. Old vipers are bad though. I would go GT500, Viper, Corvette. Good luck to you man and wish me the same for when I am ready to buy.

ya gotta think of resale? the amt of adm you would have to pay would end up being cheaper in the long run compared to what you will lose on the others. You say you are a True Blue Oval type guy but then say you are going to buy a dodge or chev? A true blue oval guy would rather push a ford than drive either of them

ya gotta think of resale? the amt of adm you would have to pay would end up being cheaper in the long run compared to what you will lose on the others. You say you are a True Blue Oval type guy but then say you are going to buy a dodge or chev? A true blue oval guy would rather push a ford than drive either of them

+1 TTB! IF a GT500 is too much go for a S-GT, GT, Roush, Saleen, etc etc etc....there are a lot of options out there for a Mustang...not factory but they are still Stangs and Blue Ovals. Think about it man. Good luck to you

If it helps you make a decision, and this is something that you may already be aware of, but a friend just purchased a loaded 07' Z06 at M.S.R.P., and the deal still ended up being $85,000.00 OTD.

I was floored. Chevy or not, it can't be denied that the Z06 is a formidible car, but WTF is GM thinking on the price point for that car? All Corvettes went up about $7,500.00 from 2006 pricing, why? Is GM trying to fix their financial problems off the back of one car in their line up?

$85,000.00 before an ADM?? It's a great car, but not for $85,000.00!! I wonder what the dealers are getting for their ADM's if the "base" price is so friggin high.

And you may already know this too, but as nice as Vipor's are, be aware that they have a bone marrow jarring, knock the fillings out of your teeth, truck like ride that you just can't fix.

I'm not wanting this to come across negative, but if everyone would look at the price for performance on more of a global basis, you really get a different perspective. Take a look at what it takes to get into a foreign sports car that delivers anywhere in the neighborhood of 500 horsepower. When you truly take into account what it costs to acquire a foreign this calibar, the current price of the GT500 in the $45,000 neighborhoorhood does not seem out of line.

Just my humble poor ass opinion.

HSURB

I'm not wanting this to come across negative, but if everyone would look at the price for performance on more of a global basis, you really get a different perspective. Take a look at what it takes to get into a foreign sports car that delivers anywhere in the neighborhood of 500 horsepower. When you truly take into account what it costs to acquire a foreign this calibar, the current price of the GT500 in the $45,000 neighborhoorhood does not seem out of line.

Just my humble poor ass opinion.

HSURB

You're right. It really can't be denied, your observation is spot on. Comparing 500 apples to 505 apples, five extra apples does not warrant an additional $40,000.00 + dollars. Not to me anyway.

+1 TTB! IF a GT500 is too much go for a S-GT, GT, Roush, Saleen, etc etc etc....there are a lot of options out there for a Mustang...not factory but they are still Stangs and Blue Ovals. Think about it man. Good luck to you

I love some of the saleens. They are very rare also.You wont see on on every corner.

I look at the purchase a little different. Do i feel robbed about paying a HIGH or higher ADM then some of this board.....................Absolutley. Specially since i have and still do own a used car dealership for 12 years. Do I feel that the shelby is worth the $61k i paid for it?? ...................Absolutley. I think Ford should have charged at least $50k for the car personally for the performance you get. The only two cars that can be compared to it are the viper or Zo6. Both are in the 80-90k range.I agree that they really cannot be completley compared but you get the point.Take it from someone who owned a c6. I bought a top of the line one 2 years ago. They are not all that they are cracked up to be.Nobody notices you anymore. Its "just another vette" going down the road. And actually I lost control of mine on a corner doing 75Mph when i have gone around the same corner at 68-70 in my svt Lightning!! I sold it after having it a couple of months.The best part of the car was the navigation LOL imo.MANY people realize what you are driving when you go by in a shelby. The looks on their faces and the comments are worth the price of admission alone. nevermind the awesome performance.So instead of looking at the adm perspective, look at it like this. The car is worth the $60k no matter what the window sticker says.Good luck with your choice.

I just went through what you are about to undertake, I live in Northwest Indiana,and everbody around here was at 20K or higher, and allocation was already gone. I ended up going out to Bettendorf,IA,and payed 10K over,keep in my mind I also got the color I wanted.Right now these guys know to wait till spring fever hits, and the cars will start flying out the showroom at higher ADM's.Ceck AutoTrader for inventory,and Good Luck.

Thanks for the input guys!!

Just to reiterate. I love FORDS and can not stand Chebbies. Problem about settling for the other stangs including the Saleen is that while they do look nice, I've definitely set my sites on the HP/performance of the 500.

I guess after talking this through, I should probably wait around one more season and see if any leftover 07's new 08's can be had closer to MSRP.

Patience is a virtue right? Geez, I used to think I had tons of patience. Maybe I do, maybe I don't. I did wait 3 years so far though. Maybe I shouldn't throw in the towel so close to the end! :)

Just to reiterate. I love FORDS and can not stand Chebbies. Problem about settling for the other stangs including the Saleen is that while they do look nice, I've definitely set my sites on the HP/performance of the 500.

I guess after talking this through, I should probably wait around one more season and see if any leftover 07's new 08's can be had closer to MSRP.

Patience is a virtue right? Geez, I used to think I had tons of patience. Maybe I do, maybe I don't. I did wait 3 years so far though. Maybe I shouldn't throw in the towel so close to the end! :)

3 years!!! whats a few more months!? Good luck man...its worth the wait. Just think about the smile on your face when you see it for the first time on your driveway

I live in the Chicago area, and I had to go 225 miles to find my 5K over deal, and that was 8 months ago. I took delivery Jan. 13th after order the car April 24th, 2006. You might find a 2008 at MSRP, but a 2007 now at MSRP will be a tough find. Best of Luck.

:hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2: Ya gotta be kiddin, sorry. If there were any available at MSRP, they would be snagged up in an instant.

I'ld buy a base Saleen or a Roush Stage 3 before settling for a base vette. They're nice cars but I love mustangs!

Start working the small town shops for a 2008 deal now; you can hang on that much longer can't you?

I could hang on if I could find a small town dealer that will work with me. Most of the "Stealers" laugh when you mention MSRP

I'm just tired of calling around!

These cars might come down in LATE and i mean LATE production but when dealers are still selling them every day for $20k over I think you are dreaming if you think you are going to get one at msrp or even close. They are not going to drop 20k in value within the next year. Theres way too much demand for these cars.Summer is just around the bend.There have been plenty of people waiting for the shelby and most if not all 07s which are ordered are already presold.Most dealers have long list for the 08 even. There are even more people still finding out about them too.good luck. You might find yourself buying one with an adm or not buying one at all

...small town dealer near me is getting two more 07s (one is from a dealer that closed); asking 20K over, bet he ends up with at least 15K. The only way to get a mrsp deal is to find a dealer who won't charge more on basic principle. With all the troubles of ford and their dealers, it may become harder to find those individuals.

I could hang on if I could find a small town dealer that will work with me. Most of the "Stealers" laugh when you mention MSRP

I'm just tired of calling around!

V,

May I suggest that you do whatever you can and actually go to a "stealer" rather than canvassing them by phone? I just suspect that you might get farther with pricing if you're in their face. By calling, for all they know you could just be another tire kicker who's really not serious to make a purchase. I just think that people have a tendancy to blow people off quicker when the're on the phone.

Just MO

You're right. It really can't be denied, your observation is spot on. Comparing 500 apples to 505 apples, five extra apples does not warrant an additional $40,000.00 + dollars. Not to me anyway.

You do realize there is more to a car than HP. The z06 weighs 3100 pounds, the GT500 weighs 4000. Enough said.

You do realize there is more to a car than HP. The z06 weighs 3100 pounds, the GT500 weighs 4000. Enough said.

more, true. The Z06 looks basically like every other vette out there.... :boring: Even with the ADM you have a price difference of about $25k - that buys more than enough HP to make up for the weight penalty.

I have a Mustang GT on the drawing board for a customer that has the Ford Racing suspension, wheels/tires, supercharger (intercooled), injectors, fuel pump upgrade, boost gauge, full exhaust with long tubes, WMS intake, upper control arm, Baer brakes, Hurst shifter, 3.73 gear, and custom tuned on the dyno to about 530 HP (SCT) for under $46k.

These cars might come down in LATE and i mean LATE production but when dealers are still selling them every day for $20k over I think you are dreaming if you think you are going to get one at msrp or even close. They are not going to drop 20k in value within the next year. Theres way too much demand for these cars.Summer is just around the bend.There have been plenty of people waiting for the shelby and most if not all 07s which are ordered are already presold.Most dealers have long list for the 08 even. There are even more people still finding out about them too.good luck. You might find yourself buying one with an adm or not buying one at all

Not naming any names, but I wish the ADM bashers that predicted MSRP or lower by the beginning of the year 2007 would chime in now. What did they call us owners???? Idiots . . . if I recall correctly.

HSURB

Not naming any names, but I wish the ADM bashers that predicted MSRP or lower by the beginning of the year 2007 would chime in now. What did they call us owners???? Idiots . . . if I recall correctly.

HSURB

I remember all that KaKa too. :hysterical:

Oh well.

I just want to say that even because I was fortunate to find mine for MSRP, I understand that many out there paid over for theirs. It boils down to desire and opportunity. If your desire outweighs the oportunities available, then there is nothing wrong with paying over sticker for the car. As I have come to understand it, the opportunity to purchase this car for sticker is pretty rare.

I dont think anyone is crazy if they gave over. If it's the car you wanted, then so be it. Enjoy it, drive it, and don't look back.

Since I deal with dealers in my business, if I find somone willing to take MSRP, I will post here immediately.

CB

HSURB

Aint that the truth. I for one dont believe they will ever be at msrp. I dont think they will be at 15-20k over either but rather right in the middle. And thats only if they stop them in 08. If they make them in 09, you will be able to get one at msrp all day long. When the public has the new challenger ,new camaro, the "ol shelby" wont be as desirable with other choices around because it wont be the "new" car anymore.

Archived