TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Traction in Second Gear

Is it just me? I can 3/4 throttle in second gear and the back end breaks loose and starts to shift left or right. I am at the recommended 35 PSI on the stock G2s. It was 55 degrees here today. Similar experiences shared by you guys? Is it the 550hp or the tires with almost zero grip at 55 degrees?

I have a 2011 also and tonight it was 39 on the way home. 1-2 and 3 gear I could blow the tires off. Its going to sleep for the winter next weekend.

The stock Goodyears on your 2011 are designated "summer tires only." Once temps drop below 50 degrees they lose much if not all of their tractability. NO AMOUNT OF WARMING THEM UP will change the rubber composition in those tires and they remain hard which results in poor traction and unsafe conditions for you. I took off my non-SVTPP stock Goodyears and replaced them with Continental Extreme Contact DSW's, which are designated all season tires. (See my post). They are a vast improvement and now I have even better traction than I had with the stock Goodyears in warm weather. I recommend their purchase if you plan to drive the car during winter days that are absent from snow and slush.

Unfortunately without going to an all season or winter tire the GT500 turns into a very different car below 50 degrees. It's easy for the care to get away from you if your not careful in lower temps. I couldn't see going to all seasons year round for me but some do and have had good luck with them so far. I might consider a 2nd set of all seasons for the colder months and swap them.

TicketMeBlue500 good looking ride by the way.

Unfortunately without going to an all season or winter tire the GT500 turns into a very different car below 50 degrees. It's easy for the care to get away from you if your not careful in lower temps. I couldn't see going to all seasons year round for me but some do and have had good luck with them so far. I might consider a 2nd set of all seasons for the colder months and swap them.

TicketMeBlue500 good looking ride by the way.

Thanks!

+1... and the 5.4L loves the cool coastal air!

It sure does. Today I pulled 4th gear hard at 6000rpm and the rear tires totally let go!!! It was awesome!! Sea level and cool air rocks!!

Is it just me? I can 3/4 throttle in second gear and the back end breaks loose and starts to shift left or right. I am at the recommended 35 PSI on the stock G2s. It was 55 degrees here today. Similar experiences shared by you guys? Is it the 550hp or the tires with almost zero grip at 55 degrees?

The SC likes low temps and the tires like high temps. The higher temps are easier to deal with IMO if you add the "right stuff," ala the HD HE and HD Rad. Just my 2 cents.

Archived