TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Keeping my new GT500 looking new

cknight

Now that it here, I would like a little advise from the forum members. I have not had what I would call a really nice car since I was 17 and purchased a new Z28. It been a long time since I really tried to take real good care of a car. The first thing I need to do is get a cover and the proper cleaning supplies. I know nothing about car covers and other than going down to the local PepBoys and purchasing an off the shelf cover. I have no idea what is good, better or best. When it comes to cleaning, I usually take my car the to car wash and I wash my truck with a washing brush and use Joy. As you can see, I need help. How about some direction.

Now that it here, I would like a little advise from the forum members. I have not had what I would call a really nice car since I was 17 and purchased a new Z28. It been a long time since I really tried to take real good care of a car. The first thing I need to do is get a cover and the proper cleaning supplies. I know nothing about car covers and other than going down to the local PepBoys and purchasing an off the shelf cover. I have no idea what is good, better or best. When it comes to cleaning, I usually take my car the to car wash and I wash my truck with a washing brush and use Joy. As you can see, I need help. How about some direction.

www.zaino.com :banana piano:

I MUST CHIME AND SAY THAT MY CAR IS GETTING "CRAPPED" ON BY FRESH CONCRETE POWDER/WATER MIX. THIS IS DUE TO CRACKS IN THE UPPER LEVEL OF MY PARKING GARAGE. SINCE ALL CONCRETE CRACKS, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH... I NEED TO FIND THE BEST CAR COVER YOU GUYS KNOW OF OR HAVE. ANY INFO WOULD BR GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS,

TD

Gentlemen,

Make your lives easy. Just call or go on line to California Car Cover Company. Top shelf covers for your cars. Pay the price and get the best. Perfect fit and excellent fabrics. And for goodness sake, please don't buy the generic, off the shelf cover from Pep Boys if you really care about keeping everything neat and tidy.

No, I don't work for CCC, I just have first hand experience with their products and I have been very satisifed with everything that I have purchased from them.

Hope this helps.

Gentlemen,

Make your lives easy. Just call or go on line to California Car Cover Company. Top shelf covers for your cars. Pay the price and get the best. Perfect fit and excellent fabrics. And for goodness sake, please don't buy the generic, off the shelf cover from Pep Boys if you really care about keeping everything neat and tidy.

No, I don't work for CCC, I just have first hand experience with their products and I have been very satisifed with everything that I have purchased from them.

Hope this helps.

I've heard good things about CCC covers as well. I'll probably get one of theirs when I get my Shelby.

I like Zaino...I never used it before this car, but it's pretty amazing stuff. I don't have a very high opinion of some of the other popular waxes and polishes except for some 3M products.

I have a California Car Cover...I believe it's made by Covercraft (as is the FoMoCo cover if I recall correctly). It fits well, seems to be well made, etc. I opted for the Noah fabric, but if I had it to do over I think I'd go with something a little more pliable. Hugger covers are popular around here and I might give their indoor cover a go.

Another nice thing to have to keep you car looking good is wax-impregnated duster. It works well on the interior and it is also nice to run over the exterior before putting the cover on to avoid scratches.

Don't use a washing brush or Joy. Get a good microfiber wash mitt and the Mr. Clean Spot Free Car Wash Kit. You won't need a bucket and won't have to dry (less chance of swirls in the clear coat). I have used this on my 2002 SVT Focus since the kit came out and it works great and saves time. I try to wash my car every week, wax with Mequires NXT every other month and it still looks like it did the day it came off the dealer's showroom floor.

Don't use a washing brush or Joy. Get a good microfiber wash mitt and the Mr. Clean Spot Free Car Wash Kit. You won't need a bucket and won't have to dry (less chance of swirls in the clear coat). I have used this on my 2002 SVT Focus since the kit came out and it works great and saves time. I try to wash my car every week, wax with Mequires NXT every other month and it still looks like it did the day it came off the dealer's showroom floor.

I can't say enough for the Mr Clean kit I bought at Home Depot. Least expensive there where I have seen it in my area. Car will look spotless after washing with it. It costs a few dollars per wash, but will save a lot of time drying it off.

I also regard the Mr. Clean system to be a very good product, however I just beacame so frustrated with having to replace the mineral filters so frequently, I went ahead and installed one of these at the end of my water tap instead:

http://www.spotfreeh2o.com

What a terrific soft water system for the price. The kits are all self contained, and the hook up is so, so, simple. Once you try this, you'll never look at the Mr. Clean system again (except for their soap). Much more efficent system for us Obsessive Compulsive Disorder types when it come to the cleanliness of our cars.

It also delivers higher water pressure that the Mr. Clean system does.

I also regard the Mr. Clean system to be a very good product, however I just beacame so frustrated with having to replace the mineral filters so frequently, I went ahead and installed one of these at the end of my water tap instead:

http://www.spotfreeh2o.com

What a terrific soft water system for the price. The kits are all self contained, and the hook up is so, so, simple. Once you try this, you'll never look at the Mr. Clean system again (except for their soap). Much more efficent system for us Obsessive Compulsive Disorder types when it come to the cleanliness of our cars.

It also delivers higher water pressure that the Mr. Clean system does.

I guess I'm lucky. When we built our house, I had the plumber run a dedicated "softened" line to the garage, and I have a spigot out there for washing cars. Hook up the hose and go. It may be less expensive for some of you to look at having such a line run. Do it once...and you are set for the rest of your time in the house. Anyone good with soldering copper could probably do it yourself...or use the new "push and go" fittings to install rather than solder.

Of course this assumes you already have a water softener in your house.

Dave

The other guys can help u with the car cover,im still waiting on my shelby to arrive<ordered Dec.4> but throw away the joy and never use any dish washing soap as it removes the wax that u had such a great time putting on your keeper. Also get yourself a good wash mit and that should handle the washing chores. I KNOW ONE THING IM GETTING VERY ANGIOUS FOR MY RIDE !!! I ALSO DONT HAVE A VIN YET !!!!!!

Is this what you guys are talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Clean-AutoDry-ProSer...=UTF8&s=hpc

Yup. That's the Mr. Clean system.

ckknight,

I've just ordered a cover from Hugger Covers in Canada. They will make a cover to match your car's colors. Mine will be red with 2 white stripes and custom fitted for the GT500. It also comes with a matching bag (color & stripes). It is rather pricey though: $450 USD delivered. Their address:

http://www.huggercovers.com/

The owners name is Marsha, she is great, give her a call and tell her Stuart told you to call. I'll let you know what it's like when it comes in. Regards.

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...

We have ordered our shelby car cover from ford.com. and we're waiting to pick it up when the new 2008 f350 comes in. Decided we needed the proper truck to pull the car trailer with the shelby in it. LOL

I like the Mr. Clean system also. A very soft lambswool mitt helps, use NO DISHWASING SOAP, rinse mitt after a couple of swipes(this will keep the dirt from scratching especially with black) and I like the soft white cotton from lowes they have no rough edges at all,and I searched every auto store until I found the softest chamios I could find, deciding on meguiars.

Being picky is the best answer, I even get testy if someone even breathes to close to ours. :stop::stop:

venom_07

ckknight,

I've just ordered a cover from Hugger Covers in Canada. They will make a cover to match your car's colors. Mine will be red with 2 white stripes and custom fitted for the GT500. It also comes with a matching bag (color & stripes). It is rather pricey though: $450 USD delivered. Their address:

http://www.huggercovers.com/

The owners name is Marsha, she is great, give her a call and tell her Stuart told you to call. I'll let you know what it's like when it comes in. Regards.

Stuart

Got my cover there also ,great car people & the cover fits perfect.

Anyone got any advise on cleaning the cloth convertible top? What can I use/what should I avoid? This is my first vert and I don't want to damage it.

Thanks,

Pig

Archived