TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Texas Shelby Get Together this Spring

sportscars

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

A fall cruise would be most excellent, considering the usual October wx....'vert time for those who have them.

Native Texans, are there cruising areas in east Texas, the Big Bend area, west Texas?

THANK YOU WARREN AND SEAN, AS ALWAYS A GREAT CRUISE. THE BEST PART WAS JUST GETTING TO SEE OLD FRIENDS AND RUN WITH THEM THROUGH THE HILLS. ALREADY LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT YEAR. SURE MISSED YOU SHERRI, MAYBE SEE YOU IN GRANDBURY. JOHN AND JUANITA

Hoping to be there J & J :-)

Native Texans, are there cruising areas in east Texas, the Big Bend area, west Texas?

I don't know of what is around the east Texas area, but there are some great roads in west Texas around the Big Bend area. Vorpl (David) is THE go-to guy for all things out that way. He actually lives and works in the park and has been out there for 20+ years. Drop him a line. Great guy and very friendly. Plus he loves to have another Shelby in the park from time to time.

I'm sure the east Texas crew will chime in about what is out there way!

I don't know of what is around the east Texas area, but there are some great roads in west Texas around the Big Bend area. Vorpl (David) is THE go-to guy for all things out that way. He actually lives and works in the park and has been out there for 20+ years. Drop him a line. Great guy and very friendly. Plus he loves to have another Shelby in the park from time to time.

I'm sure the east Texas crew will chime in about what is out there way!

Thanks for info

I really like Big Bend NP, but there are dozens of great places out in that area along with the park. I try to get out to the Ft Davis and Alpine area at least a couple times a year and there are some incredible drives in that area, not the least of which is the road that goes up through the Davis Mts, past McDonald Observatory. The Stable Performance Cars is also in Alpine, or they used to be - for some reason their website is down. About the only downside to that area in terms of a cruise is the distance from the major cities - the park is about 9 hours from Austin, and Alpine is six hours away. Quite a bit farther from Houston or Dallas, for example. But well worth the trip.....if you live in Texas and you haven't been to the Davis Mts/Big Bend area, you have really been missing out on something spectacular.

There was a big Team Shelby cruise in that area last year, wasn't there? And is it planned for 2011 as well?

Dave Durant owns The Stable. He is a great guy and a true Shelby lover. Has many late model Shelby's in his shop and all are very nice! If your ever in the area, a stop in is a MUST!

I think a few guys may get together out there every once in a while :bag:

I really like Big Bend NP, but there are dozens of great places out in that area along with the park. I try to get out to the Ft Davis and Alpine area at least a couple times a year and there are some incredible drives in that area, not the least of which is the road that goes up through the Davis Mts, past McDonald Observatory. The Stable Performance Cars is also in Alpine, or they used to be - for some reason their website is down. About the only downside to that area in terms of a cruise is the distance from the major cities - the park is about 9 hours from Austin, and Alpine is six hours away. Quite a bit farther from Houston or Dallas, for example. But well worth the trip.....if you live in Texas and you haven't been to the Davis Mts/Big Bend area, you have really been missing out on something spectacular.

There was a big Team Shelby cruise in that area last year, wasn't there? And is it planned for 2011 as well?

Hey Bushmaster,

You are quite correct on all accounts. I live in Terlingua, TX and have a Terlingua Mustang.

It is a great area to drive, incredible views, great roads such as drives along the Rio Grande to Presidio outside Terlingua, The Davis Mountains and up towards Balmorhea, the whole area around Alpine etc.

Yep, as Sean stated Dave Durant and the Stable are in still in Alpine. He is a must stop and has a great collection of some really unique cars.

I am pretty much here year round, unless gone for vacation or occaisonal business. You are most welcome to give me a shout if you are coming out to cruise. Perhaps, I can join. Also, my spouse and I really like to host friends at our Terlingua with a view house for BBQ! All Team Shelby folks are welcome - just not all on the same day LOL - do not think you all will fit and my BBQ is not that big!

Seriously, feel free to drop me a note.

vorpl8@yahoo.com

Oh and yes we are continuing the Terlingua event tradition in 2011.

David aka Vorpal

Archived