TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Texas Shelby Get Together this Spring

sportscars

I may get hammered for this....but I am gonna ask anyway. What is the weather forecast for this weekend? I do not drive mine in the rain, so I have waited til this last week to decide if I am going. If weather is clear I will come in Fri nite. I know I will probably have to stay outside of Kerrville then drive in Sat morning but thats OK with me. Oh and what is the address of the meet point so I can GPS it. Coming in from Houston area so will be a good drive to get to Kerrville. Here is to good weather!!!! :beerchug:

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may get hammered for this....but I am gonna ask anyway. What is the weather forecast for this weekend? I do not drive mine in the rain, so I have waited til this last week to decide if I am going. If weather is clear I will come in Fri nite. I know I will probably have to stay outside of Kerrville then drive in Sat morning but thats OK with me. Oh and what is the address of the meet point so I can GPS it. Coming in from Houston area so will be a good drive to get to Kerrville. Here is to good weather!!!! :beerchug:

Good question. Most of us don't drive our toys in the rain either. I saw the local the forecast today and didn't see any chance of rain for all next week.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. :yup:

They have a hard enough time getting tomorrows forecast correct, much less one thats 5 or 7 days away. We will play it by ear and check the forcast regularly.

Had to settle for La Quinta in San Marcos. On the north side, at least.....only 16 miles from Buda. Next year must make reservations earlier than 5 days prior, I imagine!

Looks like route to Kerrville from FTW friday goes through Comanche, San Saba,Llano, to K-ville and the Hampton Inn.

Does almost everybody take one of those little multi channel radios like at Best Buy? Wat is the usual freq?

This is it, first cruise and looking forward to it!

Find someone to drive your other car and then switch up at lunch. Wonder who would be willing to do that for you.:idea: Let me think on that one. :hysterical2:

My 18 year old son had a similar idea....except he was the driver in his scenario!

Bring the KR. I've never seen a red one. There will be at least 3 KRs (that I know of) there. Wouldn't it be cool if all 4 colors represented. B)

I might...I love top down driving in the hill country but it would be cool to get some pics with other KR's!

OK just for clarification...what is going on Friday night...tailgating? I don't have a room yet and am only 90 miles from Kerville...so joining Sat Morning is not tough, however I don't want to miss out on too much (if anything) Friday night. Are folks staying over Sat night too or just cutting out after the cruise?

I am also interested in picking up a radio so any suggestions are welcomed.

Where can you buy a radio? Brand? Price? etc.

i have an extra radio if anyone wants to use it. i bought mine last year at best buy, they come in a pair, very in expensive. used them last year at tje get tpgetjer amd tjeu work fine as long as warren tunes it in to right freq. thanks warren

Some of us are staying Friday night in Kerrville, some are staying Saturday night in Buda, and a few will stay over both nights. I expect Saturday night will be a bigger gathering at the hotel bar. A few of us will have extra radios Abner, just hit me up on Saturday morning, but if you have one, try to bring it, I usually run out. If you want to buy one anyway, we typically use 30 mile+ range motorolas or midlands- any will do and you can find them fairly seasonably at Walmart or Costco has a pair right now I saw last week. FYI- 30 miles advertised translates to about 1 mile or so on roads.

Here is our flyer for Saturday-

Also, if you have Microsoft Streets and Trips , i can email it to you, otherwise I will have hard copies to pass out at the meeting point and I will post a picture jpeg of the map tonight after I get it scanned.

San Antonio Shelby Club 2011.doc

San Antonio Shelby Club 2011.doc

SEAN, DONT IF I DID AN RSVP OR NOT BUT I AM DEFINETLY COMING. I HAVE MY RESERVATIONS IN KERRVILLE AND IN BUDA, WILL BE GOOD TO SEE YOU AND WARREN AGAIN AND OF COURSE EVERYONE WHO WAS AT NR 2 GET TOGETHER LAST YEAR. JOHN AND JUANITA

I was just told I have to work 2p-2a on Saturday to cover for some sluggo.......CRAP. I've only been looking forward to this for a year. Yall have fun. :rant2:

I was just told I have to work 2p-2a on Saturday to cover for some sluggo.......CRAP. I've only been looking forward to this for a year. Yall have fun. :rant2:

That Sucks....I see your car all over town and was hoping to meet you. Maybe you can sneak out....will they notice? :hysterical:

Sorry Dwain ! That sux !!

I used Microsoft Streets and Trips 2010, so if you have the program, email me for the actual file. If not, these will have to do, and I have to split the documents into two posts so it will fit.

page 1 of 4

TSHCC20110001.jpg

page 2 of 4

TSHCC20110002.jpg

page 3 of 4

TSHCC20110003.jpg

TSHCC20110001.jpg

TSHCC20110002.jpg

TSHCC20110003.jpg

I'm a little confused - does the cruise really leave Kerrville and go to Camp Wood (about two hours west) before heading east to I-10 between Comfort and Boerne? That doesn't sound right, though the drive to Camp Wood is a really nice one.

Since I practically lived in Kerrville for a number of years (worked there for months at a time in the early '80s), let me make a recommendation. If you get out there early enough on Friday, with a couple or three hours of daylight left, take a drive out west on Junction Highway (SH27) to Ingram and then take SH39 from there to Hunt - it's a great drive along the Guadalupe River and it's just beautiful. When you get to Hunt, turn right on FM1340 and follow it up the North Fork of the Guadalupe. IMO, that is one of the prettiest drives in the state, and when you get a couple miles up, you'll get to see the mini-Stonehenge and Tiki Gods. Here's a link about the Stonehenge, and it's a great photo opportunity, too.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/7819

There used to be a BBQ in Hunt that was pretty good, but I'm not sure if it's still there. It was right at the FM1340 turnoff. If you're in Kerrville and looking for food, it's hard to beat Mamacita's on Junction Highway.

Another great thing to see in Kerrville is the Cowboy Artists of America Museum - I'm not an art museum kind of guy by any stretch, but I just love that place.

Last I heard, the weather should be darn near perfect this weekend.

page 4 of 4

TSHCC20110004.jpg

Weather looks great, looks like we have a great crowd, and Im really looking forward to it. Some of the roads in the morning portion are from last year, some of the afternoon are from the year before. I have driven them dozens of times, and most of them never get old for me.

Now, if we were a 4-wheelin' group, this route would be totally different, but I take extreme care to keep our Shelbys from getting damaged from driving the "wrong" roads.

TSHCC20110004.jpg

I'm a little confused - does the cruise really leave Kerrville and go to Camp Wood (about two hours west) before heading east to I-10 between Comfort and Boerne? That doesn't sound right, though the drive to Camp Wood is a really nice one.

Since I practically lived in Kerrville for a number of years (worked there for months at a time in the early '80s), let me make a recommendation. If you get out there early enough on Friday, with a couple or three hours of daylight left, take a drive out west on Junction Highway (SH27) to Ingram and then take SH39 from there to Hunt - it's a great drive along the Guadalupe River and it's just beautiful. When you get to Hunt, turn right on FM1340 and follow it up the North Fork of the Guadalupe. IMO, that is one of the prettiest drives in the state, and when you get a couple miles up, you'll get to see the mini-Stonehenge and Tiki Gods. Here's a link about the Stonehenge, and it's a great photo opportunity, too.

Well, there is no better way to get to 335 or 337 without leaving from a place like Kerrville. It didnt make sense to have people meet up in Camp Wood or Rock Springs at 8:30AM. They would already be driving an hour and a half to start with even if they stayed in Kerrville, plus, our route already takes us on 1340 by Stonehenge. That is a planned stop if you look at the map.

Trust me, my family has lived in this county for over 150 years, and we will even pass by my original family ranch after we pass through Medina. Faris Ranch Road. I will point it out over the two way radios as we drive by. I also am in the road construction business, and while 39 would have been a nice alternative we have road construction in 3 different locations, and a job that starts up any day putting in gaurdrail and redoing a river crossing about 11 miles from 1340. I didnt want to subject our cars to that, but that said, I always appreciate any ideas for future cruises. I have driven the route twice in the last couple weeks, so there should be no surprises.

I wondered how you were able to post all that up so quickly! :hysterical: I was thinking, damn this guy can type quick!:hysterical:

Yup, my response should answer your questions.

There are several roads that are really fun and good for scenery, but this is the best for a one shot, try to get as much in as you can drive.

I wondered how you were able to post all that up so quickly! :hysterical: I was thinking, damn this guy can type quick!:hysterical:

Yup, my response should answer your questions.

There are several roads that are really fun and good for scenery, but this is the best for a one shot, try to get as much in as you can drive.

OK, now it's making sense. Without knowing the route, I couldn't figure out how you were going to get from Kerrville to Buda without having most of the day to kill. Youv'e definitely chosen a great driving route. I worked out there with the LCRA for about 8 years in the '80s and fell in love with that area. Aside from the Davis Mts area it's probably my favorite place in Texas.

For folks heading out to Kerrville from Austin on Friday, if you want a really super drive, take 290 west to the Henly cutoff (FM165) and take it south to Blanco. You'll get to see one of the best vistas in this part of the state. When 165 dead ends at 281 in Blanco, take a left and go a mile or so south to 473, then turn right (west) and take it through Kendalia, Sisterdale, and then into Comfort and Center Point, and then right into Kerrville. Great little scenic drive and much better than dealing with the endless traffic jam in Fredericksburg.

Bushmaster, I take it your not coming then??? With Dwain not being able to make it that just leaves Louis from Houston with a GO SGT.

I'm not sure yet - may not make up my mind until Saturday morning. I haven't been able to round up a copilot and it'll be a long day with just the three of us - me, myself and I.

For folks heading out to Kerrville from Austin on Friday, if you want a really super drive, take 290 west to the Henly cutoff (FM165) and take it south to Blanco. You'll get to see one of the best vistas in this part of the state. When 165 dead ends at 281 in Blanco, take a left and go a mile or so south to 473, then turn right (west) and take it through Kendalia, Sisterdale, and then into Comfort and Center Point, and then right into Kerrville. Great little scenic drive and much better than dealing with the endless traffic jam in Fredericksburg.

Good suggestion !

Good suggestion !

Another neat thing, if you have time - as you're rolling into Blanco on 165, you can see the Blanco River on your left. There are a couple of places where it's really shallow, like six inches or less normally, and if you feel like getting out and exploring, you can find dinosaur tracks in the riverbed. Big dinosaur tracks - they're really cool.

Also, if you take 473 out from 281 to Comfort, keep an eye out for exotic game. There are lots of exotic game ranches along that drive - and there really are all through the Hill Country - and you never know what you'll see roaming around behind those tall fences.

We are driving 473 on the cruise Saturday, but if you want to drive it twice, then yeah. I would suggest going west out of blanco on 1623, then left on 1888. That will give you several miles along the blanco river, and then you can check out the old train tunnel which is now a bat cave near bankersmith. At the top of the old tunnel is a hamburger joint that was named a top 10 by Texas Monthly. Any route out of that area is pretty, but comfort is the best choice there.

Just how bad is traffic in Fredricksburg on Fri afternoon? Worthwhile to end up west out on I10 somewhere then come into Kerrville on I10 from that direction....coming down from DFW area, I mean?

Archived