TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hertz owners alert

Since I bought my car in late 07, I was bothered by an exhaust smell mainly when hard accelerating. After many attemps to pin it down I finally resorted to having a trusted body shop get into it. There had been some repairs somewhere in the Hertz rental that were done ( These do not show up on Carfax) That were very poorly done. In my case there had been minor rear end damage and the panels plugs etc. were not sealed or plug properly. I inspected the car well.....I thought, but cosmetics were good. It appears that any damage was fixed as quickly and cheaply as possible to get cars back on line. While this is probably OK in the business, these cars are most likely going to live a long time down the road as collectors . If you suspect any issues you may want to take a good look now before too much time goes by.:banghead:

Since I bought my car in late 07, I was bothered by an exhaust smell mainly when hard accelerating. After many attemps to pin it down I finally resorted to having a trusted body shop get into it. There had been some repairs somewhere in the Hertz rental that were done ( These do not show up on Carfax) That were very poorly done. In my case there had been minor rear end damage and the panels plugs etc. were not sealed or plug properly. I inspected the car well.....I thought, but cosmetics were good. It appears that any damage was fixed as quickly and cheaply as possible to get cars back on line. While this is probably OK in the business, these cars are most likely going to live a long time down the road as collectors . If you suspect any issues you may want to take a good look now before too much time goes by.:banghead:

Hertz is "self insured" so the accident damage will not usually show on Car-Fax type reports. Once a retail buyer gets the car then accident damage will appear on reports, so long as the owner makes an insurance claim. When Hertz sold the GT-Hs, all went through dealer wholesale auctions. Any damage repair is usually declared by Hertz based on auction rules and state laws. The buying dealer will almost always know if there was damage repair. Whether or not the dealer declares this damage is largely up to them. If you buy a GT-H that was really mis-represented due to heavy accident damage repair, you can contact the Hertz's Law Department in Park Ridge, NJ and request (in writing) a copy of the complete Hertz maintenance file. The file will have at least four photos of the accident damage, a complete repair appraisal, and documents regarding the

sale of the car. A word of caution, particularly with the GT-H convertibles. These cars were kept longer in the Hertz fleet than the coupes, were rented to just about anyone, and were "refurbished" by Hertz to increase their rental life, thus the higher mileage you see on many convertibles. Less then perfect and "hurried" repairs are much more common on the convertibles. Lastly, don't be too alarmed if you find a GT-H that was sold as "salvage" by Hertz but now has a clean title. Hertz usually repairs the cars, but in some cases the repairs are deemed too extensive and / or would down the car too long so they just sell them in their wrecked state, thus Hertz selling as "salvage" but the car is very repairable, and not requiring a branded "salvage state title". Hope this information helps, Larry SAI Registrar, Hertz GT-H

I found the aiport where mine was rented. I sweet talked the local airport rental to send me the complete documentation on the car (80 pages!). Now I know everything down to the Shelby letters on the trunk being stolen and replaced. Like I said, I had to talk my way through customer service at that airport to a manager willing to do it for me. Took some doing but they understood these are special cars and we want the documeted heritage. Casey

Archived