TEAM SHELBY FORUM

ALL-SEASON TIRES FOR 2011 GT500

03reptile

Well, here in Md. the weather is cooling and my non-SVTPP, 2011 Shelby's stock Goodyears are getting hard as Chinese mathamatics. As most of you know, finding All-Season tires for these beasts is a real challange. I like to drive the car through the winter when the roads are clear and dry, so the Goodyears have to go. After much research with Tire Rack techs. and Ford Performance's input, I've settled on this option: Continental Extreme Contact DWS's. They have awesome reviews and a high wear factor. Continental makes a 285/35ZR19 for the rears, so no problem there. Unfortunately,there is no matching DWS for the fronts. So..... after studying width, height, & circumference stats we decided that a 245/40ZR19 DWS would be the best and closest choice for the fronts which are currently 255/40ZR19's in stock form. That is only a difference of about one third of an inch sacrafice in tread width, matching height, and I can certainly live with that in the front. They should arrive on Wednesday and I hope to have them on by Thursday. I'll let everyone know what I think once they're on and I can get some seat time with them. Our weather is mid-fifties this week, so I should get an idea of how they are going to hook up and feel. Wish me luck!! Now I have to fgure out what to do with the Goodyears with 2.6 K on them. Maybe e-bay.

03reptile

View Public Profile

Send a private message to 03reptile

Find all posts by 03reptile

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever consider putting the 285's all the way around?

Yes, I thought of that, but technicians from both TireRack and Ford Motorsport counceled me against it, indicating that they were too wide for the front and would negativly affect the steering and handling characteristics of the car. So, I went with their suggestion; especially since SVT designed the suspension system for the 2011 so one would think they should know whats best for the car.

well guys

Good luck on tires

It has been my experience the cooler it get the more HP these cars make and the less the tires grip regardless of brand or type. to drive below 50 F well your braver than me.

careful you don't want to have a tree hugging experience :hysterical:

Well, here in Md. the weather is cooling and my non-SVTPP, 2011 Shelby's stock Goodyears are getting hard as Chinese mathamatics. As most of you know, finding All-Season tires for these beasts is a real challange. I like to drive the car through the winter when the roads are clear and dry, so the Goodyears have to go. After much research with Tire Rack techs. and Ford Performance's input, I've settled on this option: Continental Extreme Contact DWS's. They have awesome reviews and a high wear factor. Continental makes a 285/35ZR19 for the rears, so no problem there. Unfortunately,there is no matching DWS for the fronts. So..... after studying width, height, & circumference stats we decided that a 245/40ZR19 DWS would be the best and closest choice for the fronts which are currently 255/40ZR19's in stock form. That is only a difference of about one third of an inch sacrafice in tread width, matching height, and I can certainly live with that in the front. They should arrive on Wednesday and I hope to have them on by Thursday. I'll let everyone know what I think once they're on and I can get some seat time with them. Our weather is mid-fifties this week, so I should get an idea of how they are going to hook up and feel. Wish me luck!! Now I have to fgure out what to do with the Goodyears with 2.6 K on them. Maybe e-bay.

03reptile

View Public Profile

sent you a pm

03reptile

View Public Profile

i live in NYC, and got my 2010 august of last year and drove it through winter when the roads were clear and dry, never had an issue with the stock tires, didn't observe a noticable difference, the only thing i did was increase tire pressure(obviosly).

I need some winter tires too. Please keep me updated

http://www.goodyeartires.com/tire/eaglef1-allseason/

I have these on my Porsche, and LOVE them! They are sticky in the dry and heavy rain, and very good in light snow.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11899&group=1.01&name=Nokian+WRG2

These are SERIOUS snow and rain tires! I had these on my Porsche while in Montana and it was basically a 165 mph snowmobile! I traveled through Utah in a whiteout snowstorm, at 55 mph, pushing snow with the front bumper.

i live in NYC, and got my 2010 august of last year and drove it through winter when the roads were clear and dry, never had an issue with the stock tires, didn't observe a noticable difference, the only thing i did was increase tire pressure(obviosly).

I agree, you can drive the stock tires during winter months; however, these tires are designated "summer tires" not designed for tempratures below 40 degrees. Check the caution sticker on your B pillar drivers side door. They definitely deteriorate in their traction ability. They will break lose much more quickly in cool temps rather than remaining hooked up as in 75+ temps. With the power on hand & the temtation to utilize it at times, even judiciously, I chose to err on the side of caution. Trust me, there is a definite difference between the traction characteristics of the summer and all season tires in colder tempratures.To each his own, but I want all the advantages I can muster when I drive this bull, especially in cold weather.

Not sure on the price of another set of rims, but I think I'd just run another set of rims/tires for winter driving and keep the original rims/tires as my "summer" set.

Yeh, that was my original plan, until I saw the price of a 2011 19" stock rim for the Shelby; about $1000.00 per rim. Ford Racing has the 2010 18" stock wheels for $189.00 per wheel, but I didn't want to drop down to an 18" rim. Nothing in the aftermarket field rang my bell, so just decided to replace the Goodyears and run the Continental A/S's year round. Putting them on this Friday, so we'll see how they do. They sure have an agressive and interesting tread pattern! If I go by the reviews in TireRack, they should be a big improvement for both winter and summer driving conditions.

Yeh, that was my original plan, until I saw the price of a 2011 19" stock rim for the Shelby; about $1000.00 per rim. Ford Racing has the 2010 18" stock wheels for $189.00 per wheel, but I didn't want to drop down to an 18" rim. Nothing in the aftermarket field rang my bell, so just decided to replace the Goodyears and run the Continental A/S's year round. Putting them on this Friday, so we'll see how they do. They sure have an agressive and interesting tread pattern! If I go by the reviews in TireRack, they should be a big improvement for both winter and summer driving conditions.

Ouch, guess I better be more careful of curb rash, didn't realize the price on the rims. Check e-Bay for some take-offs or salvage yards for something similar.

Glad I live where I do and only have to suffer through very few sub-40 degree days annually. Good luck and report back on the ride and etc of your new tires once you put some miles on them.

With my '10 last winter, I drove it at least once/week when the temps crept above 38-40, used my other vehicle for a DD.

At 45-50, I've already seen that the '11 more easily breaks the tires loose - will follow the same routine, but be careful of my driving until spring hits.

Edited because I did some goofy formatting thing...

Ouch, guess I better be more careful of curb rash, didn't realize the price on the rims. Check e-Bay for some take-offs or salvage yards for something similar.

Glad I live where I do and only have to suffer through very few sub-40 degree days annually. Good luck and report back on the ride and etc of your new tires once you put some miles on them.

Nice area you're from. Was in Spartanburg two weeks ago for the Euro-Fest car show at the BMW factory. My German friend has a pristine/original 1938 BMW 328 that we trailered down for the show. Stayed locally and had a good time drinking and eating too much. Weather was cool but beautiful. Wife and I enjoyed the backroad winery tour they had while driving her 535Is. Pretty scenery! Got to see some beautiful European cars at the show and got a first place for the BMW 328 from the Spartanburg city govt.

Tires go on this morning. You haven't lived until you try to stuff all four tires (can you say wide Mr. Rogers?) into a Shelby. Weather in 40's and rainy, so should be a good test for them heading home. Anyone who lives near me, Gaithersburg, Md. (don't want to have the hassle of shipping) interested in a set of original Goodyear super tires with 2,600 easy miles and no burn-outs? I'll post later today and report on my opinion of their tractability.

When I bought my 2010 it was Presidents Day weekend 2010. I drove from Baltimore, MD to Staten Island, NY (200 miles) and it had snowed for 2 days prior. I also drove my 2006 GT from SI, NY to BAL, MD to trade it in. No issues, just left the trac. and adv. on and drove easy. Also got 23 mpg on the way home and haven't seen that number since that day.

By the time I got the tires mounted and balanced the temp was above 50 and no rain, so pretty much spoiled my test. Will have to wait for temps to get below 40 to see how they hook up when its good and cold. They are very smooth and quiet. The ride feels similar to the stock Goodyears. Will keep you all posted as I begin driving in colder weather. They didn't take much weight when balancing and thats a sign of a well manufactured and constructed tire, so we'll see.

Took the car out this morning and it was pretty nippy, around 40 dgrees. The Continentals hook up very nicely; especially in second gear. No more fish tailing as was the habit of the Goodyears. They are much better than the stock tires as far as adhesion and I can now enjoy the power squirts without fear of taking part in an off road excursion. There is a definite difference in the adhesion capabilities in cold weather as compared to the summer tires that came with the car. Would definitely recommend this tire to those who like to venture out during the winter time and enjoy their cars. A 540 tire wear factor isn't bad either, so they should last me for a while.

I've been running Continental ExtremeContact DWS's on my supercharged '07 Mustang GT for about 6 months now. Outstanding traction compared to the OEM tires, especially in wet/cold conditions. My car is a daily driver, including the winter months, so these tires are a must.

I've been running Continental ExtremeContact DWS's on my supercharged '07 Mustang GT for about 6 months now. Outstanding traction compared to the OEM tires, especially in wet/cold conditions. My car is a daily driver, including the winter months, so these tires are a must.

Glad to hear you're happy with the tires, especially in cold weather. thanks for your input!!

• 1 month later...

I drove mine all winter with the stock tires as BigZ did. No issues at all. Just drive according to the temperature and conditions and not like an idiot and you'll have no problems.

Obviously, if there's snow or ice on the roads...that's a completely different story.

A big +1.... know your limit and play within it!

My '11 GT-500 is my daily driver and I'm already planning ahead for a replacement set of tires. I went on Tirerack.com and found 12 tires choices in our sizes. The Continental ExtremeContact DW's looked to be the best all round choice in the areas I was concerned with for wet weather, dry traction, and those sub-40 days . Plus the price and longevity were better too. The OE Goodyears just barely came out ahead in the corning but lower in nearly everything else.

My single biggest regret about my GT500 is the SVTPP tire limitations - both in terms of limitations to drivability and available alternatives. There's almost no way out - and the PCM's locked down tighter than a Vicar's daughter even IF you can find reasonably-close alternatives in size that perform well. I'd KILL for some good old non-SVTPP dilemmas to cope with.

I should've ordered the baseline GT500 and thrown in a 3.73 and FR3 on my own. (But even then, I'd probably be just as hosed trying to obtain an OE ratio change. But I digress.

I'm going to be reshoeing a new Taurus SHO with Continental ExtremeContact DWS before taking delivery. They're supposed to be the next best thing to the second coming, and I'm going to see how well they perform on the SHO before committing to whatever I need to do to create a GT500-compatible fit. Even so, the reviews are phenomenal - and I'd definitely steer you that way.

• 8 months later...

Fall is quickly approaching- I have a set of 2010 vert wheels in the garage (18x9.5). Ready to buy a set of 275/40R18 All seasons for this fall/winter. I'm down to the Michelin pilot sport a/s II or the Conti DWS..... what do you think?

I'm in EXACTLY the same situation - though I also intend to use my 18's as a set of touring tires, as my autumn driving is strictly limited to clear, dry days and none whatsoever in winter.

Both are superb. But were I interested in as much performance as I could wring from them, I'd lean toward Michelin. I'm a HUGE fan of the DWS, because it's silent, comfortable, and has amazing tread life. But - as good a performance tire as it may be, it seems to have a softer sidewall which MAY not make it quite as aggressive as the PS A/S II in all circumstances.

In either case, however, I really don't think you can go wrong. In fact, I've been thinking of using the DWS in 285/35-19's on a second set of performance tires that I want to quicken-up the SVTPP a bit.

Archived