TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need help buying a SHELBY

SHELBY1962X

I'm in the market for a late model Shelby and know little about them. I've had a 68 1/2 KR, '67GT500 and a '70 GT500 a while back when they were reasonable in price. I knew those cars well and was never worried about buying one. My question about the new ones is what in the VIN# verifies it's actually legit?

I see a lot of GT500's for sale that are low mileage but never see a TERLINGUA for sale. I'm kind of interested in one of these. They may not have the HP but they look awesome and from what i've read the smaller motor makes them handlebetter. How hard are they to find and what kind of production numbers are there on these.

Any advice will be appreciated !

I too had a 68GT500 KR just before the market went mad. I now have a 2007 GT500. the difference in seat of the pants feel is incredible. Although my KR was quite strong the GT500 late model would make mincemeat out of it. Its like a freight train.

From what I have read and experienced, I don't feel the later model cars will ever have the provenance of the earlier cars (I may get shot here for saying that) the KR and some of the limited edition cars are quite interesting but to me would never incur the interest that the vintage stock does. I wouldn't shy away from owning one if the chance came though.

I do fully enjoy my 2007 and its much more user friendly on a daily basis than the 68.5 KR ever was.

I don't think you have the worry about fakes or rebodies like you do with the vintage stuff. First off not enough time has passed to make them rare enough and there is not enough money in them to fake the cars. They are still on the downward trend with depreciation so if you at least do a carfax and check its history you can be pretty darn sure its a shelby. It would be not financially smart to fake one and not worth the costs involved if you did.

Peter

I'm in the market for a late model Shelby and know little about them. I've had a 68 1/2 KR, '67GT500 and a '70 GT500 a while back when they were reasonable in price. I knew those cars well and was never worried about buying one. My question about the new ones is what in the VIN# verifies it's actually legit?

I see a lot of GT500's for sale that are low mileage but never see a TERLINGUA for sale. I'm kind of interested in one of these. They may not have the HP but they look awesome and from what i've read the smaller motor makes them handlebetter. How hard are they to find and what kind of production numbers are there on these.

Any advice will be appreciated !

You should check out the Terlinqua forum a bit further down in the list of forums. Lots of info there. You can also contact the Terlinqua registrars: David Elkowitz, Team Shelby Moniker: VorpalBunny, Email: vorpl8@yahoo.com and Rick Ryckman, Team Shelby Moniker: SPRSNK, Email: rick@ryckmanmotorsports.com.

To get a Terlinqua, you can buy a V6 and send it to SAI to be converted. Check out this link http://www.teamshelby.com/forumside/sales/Terlingua.pdf.

Archived