TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question about vin tag on '87 GLHS

dragbaron

Hello fellow Shelby-Dodge enthusiasts! Just picked up '87 GLHS #254 Wednesday. Hauled it back home with Shelby Dakota #673, which I got earlier this year. I'm big into the Turbo-Dodge scene with two '91 Spirit R/Ts(red and white), two '85 GLH-Ts. #254 hadn't run in about 3 years, but I got it going tonight. Unfortunately the clutch seems to be out, and I'm missing the radiator/intercooler. While under the hood I was checking out the vin tag and noticed it has GLHS and a two digit number after it. Was wondering if that tells me when it was built, since I always thought the dash number had nothing to do with the order any of the Shelby vehicles were actually built.

Hello fellow Shelby-Dodge enthusiasts! Just picked up '87 GLHS #254 Wednesday. Hauled it back home with Shelby Dakota #673, which I got earlier this year. I'm big into the Turbo-Dodge scene with two '91 Spirit R/Ts(red and white), two '85 GLH-Ts. #254 hadn't run in about 3 years, but I got it going tonight. Unfortunately the clutch seems to be out, and I'm missing the radiator/intercooler. While under the hood I was checking out the vin tag and noticed it has GLHS and a two digit number after it. Was wondering if that tells me when it was built, since I always thought the dash number had nothing to do with the order any of the Shelby vehicles were actually built.

Congrats on your purchase! Any tag i have ever run across has had GLHS01 regardless of its serial number. If you have the door jam Shelby Autos Mod decal, it should tell you what month the car was modified at Shelby Automobiles. Steve likely has that info for you as well.

Robert

Dragbaron

Welcome to Team Shelby, glad you found us. Congrats on your newest Shelby.

Currently the closest you're going to get to a build date is the build month from the Shelby Automobiles door tag. Perhaps an actual build day might be known if and when any Dodge paperwork becomes available down the road.

The rad/int assembly is unique for the GLHS cars. You'll see people advertise Daytona rad/int assemblies fro the 'S' cars but they are not correct and will take some work to get them to fit. You'll need to find a rad/int assembly from a 1986-87 GLHS.

Steve

GLHS0136: That's exactly what it has stamped on it. So much for that!

Shelbymotorsports: I know I will have fun finding that rad/intercooler. The PO told me he had found another one and set it in the car, but it was obvious it was a 87-89 Daytona/Lebaron one. I wasn't looking for the build date, I was wondering the order in which the cars were built. On another site I'm on, someone is selling Shelby Lancer #800 and states it has a tag under the hood stating it's Evaluation unit #1. So if #800 is the first one done, what order were the other 799 done? That's what I was wondering, if Shelby kept track of the order in which they were modified. I know mine was built in 9/86 and modified in 10/86.

GLHS0136: That's exactly what it has stamped on it. So much for that!

Shelbymotorsports: I know I will have fun finding that rad/intercooler. The PO told me he had found another one and set it in the car, but it was obvious it was a 87-89 Daytona/Lebaron one. I wasn't looking for the build date, I was wondering the order in which the cars were built. On another site I'm on, someone is selling Shelby Lancer #800 and states it has a tag under the hood stating it's Evaluation unit #1. So if #800 is the first one done, what order were the other 799 done? That's what I was wondering, if Shelby kept track of the order in which they were modified. I know mine was built in 9/86 and modified in 10/86.

The build month from the door jamb decal is as close as you're going to get to what order your car was completed. As your Lancer example shows the dash plaque numbers do not denote the build sequence.

Steve

The build month from the door jamb decal is as close as you're going to get to what order your car was completed. As your Lancer example shows the dash plaque numbers do not denote the build sequence.

Steve

So when these cars were modified, someone went over and grabbed dash plaque #187 and installed it. Then maybe on the next car, he went and grabbed dash plaque #645? That's kinda how I guessed it went anyways.

Archived