TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Should I go with coil over’s?

54LPony

When I bought my 2010 Gt500 the guy that had it before me had installed Eibach Pro-kit springs and sway bars but, used the stock struts and shocks. I like the sway bars but the springs make the front lower then I like it, so I’m thinking of changing them to coil over’s. Are there anyone using coil over’s, if so do you like them and what brand did you go with? I mostly drive it on the street, but I like to have some track use next year.

I’m thinking of going with Steeda’s coil over’s since I have Steeda’s camber plates sitting in a box. Has anyone used these?

• 2 months later...

What Steeda kit part number?

Well, since I already had Steeda's upper strut mount I bought P/N: 555-8128. If you don't have the upper strut mounts you would need to buy P/N: 555-8127.

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-coilover-suspension-system-for-2005-and-up-ford-mustang.html

Edited by 54LPony

Well I did in fact go with Steeda’s coil overs. I will be installing them when the weather gets a little wormer, and getting it realigned in the spring.

IMG_20110109_225003.jpg

Be carefull using a rear coil-over suspension system. Your shock mounts are not designed to support the weight of the vehicle like the spring perches are.

I learned that the hard way when my upper shock mouting points (in the trunk floor area) ripped out of my 'ole '55 Chevy.

The fronts are fine as you have struts and the mounts are already the spring perches and designed to support the vehicle weight.

Phill

Be carefull using a rear coil-over suspension system. Your shock mounts are not designed to support the weight of the vehicle like the spring perches are.

I learned that the hard way when my upper shock mouting points (in the trunk floor area) ripped out of my 'ole '55 Chevy.

The fronts are fine as you have struts and the mounts are already the spring perches and designed to support the vehicle weight.

Phill

Steeda's rear suspension, in this kit, is not actually coil overs. There is ride height adjuster that mounts on the spring perch and the spring mounts to that. The rear shock is a Tokico D-spec and mounts by itself in the stock location.

Steeda's rear suspension, in this kit, is not actually coil overs. There is ride height adjuster that mounts on the spring perch and the spring mounts to that. The rear shock is a Tokico D-spec and mounts by itself in the stock location.

Ohhhhhh, I did not know that. I thought the collars in the pic mounted to the shock body and the top of the spring sat against the body.

Hmm, I may have to check a little more on that kit 'cause I'm gettin' REALLLLL frickin' tired of waiting for my FRPP FR3 Handling Pack to arrive!

Thanks,

Phill

The front is actually modified D-specs with the ride height adjuster welded to the bottom. It looks really nice. You then order the right weight springs for your car. I called them up directly. They recommended 250lb in the front and 225lb in the back. Just give them a call, they are really helpful.

It seems like a real good kit. I won’t be able to know for sure until spring, when it worms up, and after I get it re-aligned.

IMG_20110113_171234.jpg

IMG_20110113_171248.jpg

Thanks for the great pic's! My car will return tomorrow after having your same set-up installed. I also have the front and rear swaybar package being put in. My car is a 2008 and i am going with 275lb springs in the front and 200's in the rear. The guy installing my stuff is a race car fabricator, and really has a rep for knowing his suspension's so i think i will have one heck of a handling GT-500. He is also installing Steeda's bumpsteer and X-5 balljoint kit. I wanted an aggressive street suspension, but will the ability to dial it in easily for track usage.

Thanks for the great pic's! My car will return tomorrow after having your same set-up installed. I also have the front and rear swaybar package being put in. My car is a 2008 and i am going with 275lb springs in the front and 200's in the rear. The guy installing my stuff is a race car fabricator, and really has a rep for knowing his suspension's so i think i will have one heck of a handling GT-500. He is also installing Steeda's bumpsteer and X-5 balljoint kit. I wanted an aggressive street suspension, but will the ability to dial it in easily for track usage.

Cool, let me know how you like it.

• 5 months later...

When I bought my 2010 Gt500 the guy that had it before me had installed Eibach Pro-kit springs and sway bars but, used the stock struts and shocks. I like the sway bars but the springs make the front lower then I like it, so I’m thinking of changing them to coil over’s. Are there anyone using coil over’s, if so do you like them and what brand did you go with? I mostly drive it on the street, but I like to have some track use next year.

I’m thinking of going with Steeda’s coil over’s since I have Steeda’s camber plates sitting in a box. Has anyone used these?

I recommend getting the coilovers from Ground Control. I have their stuff on my Griggs suspension and it works great. You can also get the front strut with a wider bracket to accomodate a 10.5" wheel. See my post about this topic in this forum.