TEAM SHELBY FORUM

For $50K, I get an idiot light for oil pressure?

KEYSTONE

I'm throwing the BS flag on Ford for putting a bogus oil pressure gauge in my 2011 GT500. The gauge always reads at the 3/4 mark, regardless of engine temperature or RPM.

I've owned enough hi-po cars to know that idle pressure hot is about half of idle pressure cold. Additionally, the typical hi-po motor (at operating temp) will idle at about 30 psi and will top out at 60-70 psi at 6500 rpm

I also tested the gauge on my 2011 by letting the clutch out and purposely neglecting to apply the throttle (to bog down the motor) to lower the RPM's, but the oil pressure gauge remains unwavering at the 3/4 mark. What a farce.

Can someone please confirm for me that the oil pressure sending unit on the GT500 is a binary (on/off) switch instead of a legitimate infinitely-variable rheostat?

I'm throwing the BS flag on Ford for putting a bogus oil pressure gauge in my 2011 GT500. The gauge always reads at the 3/4 mark, regardless of engine temperature or RPM.

I've owned enough hi-po cars to know that idle pressure hot is about half of idle pressure cold. Additionally, the typical hi-po motor (at operating temp) will idle at about 30 psi and will top out at 60-70 psi at 6500 rpm

I also tested the gauge on my 2011 by letting the clutch out and purposely neglecting to apply the throttle (to bog down the motor) to lower the RPM's, but the oil pressure gauge remains unwavering at the 3/4 mark. What a farce.

Can someone please confirm for me that the oil pressure sending unit on the GT500 is a binary (on/off) switch instead of a legitimate infinitely-variable rheostat?

It's an idiot gauge, plain and simple.

Same with the temperature gauge.

Dumbed down gauges = less calls/warranty claims to the dealer by the non-clued in public.

Years ago on my Jaguar XJR (Supercharged I6), the car came with a real oil pressure gauge. It would accurately depict oil pressure as anyone would expect. Problem is the oil pressure gauge fluctuated (just as it should due to operating temp, etc just as you mentioned)

Too many owners of this car freaked out and complained so Jaguar's warranty replacement was an idiot gauge (like the GT500's come with). Unfortunately my original, real oil pressure gauge died on my XJR and the warranty replacement was the dumbed down version.

If we didn't live in a paranoid, worrisome, uneducated, LITIGIOUS world, the manufacturers may have kept real gauges in our automobiles.

If you want real gauges that work, buy a Dodge Viper. All of them work as they should (I used to own a 2005)

Ford wouldn't do that to us would they? Can some electrician verify this? That is just wrong!!!! denohew

There is no need for an electrician to verify it. Ford has been putting these crap gauges in their cars for years. My 2004 Cobra was the same way. Idiot gauge for oil pressure and engine temp just like the GT500.

http://www.rowand.net/shop/Tech/FordOilPressureGaugeFix.htm

Way more info here: :happy feet:

http://tinyurl.com/33hcnsf

I'll have to look at my gauges closer next time I drive it. I know the temp gauge moves with change of engine temp, don't know about the oil though. Kinda odd to have a gauge with an "oil pressure switch" instead of an "oil presure sending unit". If this is the case, you think it would work if ithe pressure switch is swapped for a sending unit?

Gauges have been fancy idiot "lights" for a few years now. This is no surprise, really, but it is a shame. You can thank your local soccer moms and lawyers.

I can tell you that the temp guage is 100% working and accurate.

When my thermostat locked up on me my temp guage climbed and once it reached a certain point my entire console "Red-lighted".

I also noticed that since I had my oil changed and overfilled by half a quart my oil guage is no reading a little under "3/4" where it was reading a little over "1/2" before the oil change so it is doing *something*. What that means I couldn't tell you.

I'm not a big fan of running a bunch of aftermarket gauges... this is troubling to know that the factory ones may not be supplying good info!

Is there maybe a delayed reaction that would explain seeing a change, but not a normal up and down with rpm change? something in the computer that holds the "normal" value unless the reading changes for more than a certain amount of time maybe?

I can tell you that the temp guage is 100% working and accurate.

When my thermostat locked up on me my temp guage climbed and once it reached a certain point my entire console "Red-lighted".

I also noticed that since I had my oil changed and overfilled by half a quart my oil guage is no reading a little under "3/4" where it was reading a little over "1/2" before the oil change so it is doing *something*. What that means I couldn't tell you.

The temp gauge is not accurate. It deflects on EXTREME COLD ( startup ) and EXTREME HEAT ( your situation )

From 170 - 220 F, it will not BUDGE. That, to me, isn't "accurate".

The temp gauge is not accurate. It deflects on EXTREME COLD ( startup ) and EXTREME HEAT ( your situation )

I seem to recall a picture of the new Boss interior, that showed a real gauge cluster mounted on the dash. Can someone post that? I may have to retrofit my GT500 with that package once the Boss comes out.

Ah, here is the pic, I found it for myself. Does anyone know if this gauge pod is available already from Ford Racing or is this going to be new on the 2010 Boss L. Seca?

post-29023-065708700 1288375886_thumb.jpg

I don't know about the gauges but that black shifter ball would be awesome in my black/black GT500...

Ah, here is the pic, I found it for myself. Does anyone know if this gauge pod is available already from Ford Racing or is this going to be new on the 2010 Boss L. Seca?

post-29023-065708700 1288375886_thumb.jpg

That pod is only on the Boss LS. Will FR offer it through their catalog later? Beats me, but my instincts tell me no. But there are many, many, aftermarket gage pods and quality gages other than the LS pod that you can install on your car instead.

I don't know about the gauges but that black shifter ball would be awesome in my black/black GT500...

MGW sells black shifter balls etc that can be added. I'm surprised someone would not know the oil pressure is an idiot indication. I'm sure you could get a dash triple pod from SOS and install gages in it like I did my 2008 Shelby GT where I have boost, fuel and oil gages. For about $800 that would get you a POD, gages, sending units etc and then you have to install it. SPP makes a oil sending relocation manifold and should fit a GT500 just like it did my 4.6L making the oil pressure easy to tap in to. They also had some sort of fuel item but forget what it's called. Should be on the SPP website unless they stopped making it.

Exactly!

Although I wasn't aware of this "Idiot Gauge" situation until today, I did take notice of the needle not moving after warm-up this past summer when my wife and I drove from OH to CA taking the southern route out and the northern route back. With temperatures ranging from the 70s in the east and up to 106 in Nevada, the temp gauge always held steady just to the left of center. Didn't matter whether we were in traffic with the A/C on or at speed with no A/C or cruising with the top down in the cool evenings. I pointed it out to my wife time after time but had no idea of the true nature of the gauge. I just thought that the bottle of Royal Purple Ice I had added beforehand was really working well...

Dont feel bad, for 70K the 2011 M3 that replaced my GT500 doesnt have ANY gauges except for oil temp. No way to see water temp, voltage, oil pressure at all, I'm sure some of it is accessible via OBD but my scanners wont show it.

But yea, Ford hasnt had a real oil pressure gauge, except in some trucks, since the late 70s. ♦

Exactly!

Although I wasn't aware of this "Idiot Gauge" situation until today, I did take notice of the needle not moving after warm-up this past summer when my wife and I drove from OH to CA taking the southern route out and the northern route back. With temperatures ranging from the 70s in the east and up to 106 in Nevada, the temp gauge always held steady just to the left of center. Didn't matter whether we were in traffic with the A/C on or at speed with no A/C or cruising with the top down in the cool evenings. I pointed it out to my wife time after time but had no idea of the true nature of the gauge. I just thought that the bottle of Royal Purple Ice I had added beforehand was really working well...

+1

However, my Cadillac Escalade has real working guages with numbers!

1. Fuel

2. Volt

3. Water temp

4. Oil pressure

5. Transmission temp

While researching my options for a big-boy, genuine oil pressure gauge (as opposed to the potty-training version Ford provides), I came across the Boss gauge cluster I referenced above. Looking at that, I see it has a Ford Racing (made by Autometer) DPIC in it.

Has anyone had experience with the DPIC and how accurate is it? I have an old Vericom accelerometer (the kind you suction-cup to the windshield) but it would be nice to have a permanently-installed one.

Further research brought up the option of recreating the "Driver Information Center" that I liked on my C5 Corvette, which let you cycle through a host of parameters like oil press, oil temp, coolant temp, etc. Can anyone recommend the best system to display the OBD info already being gathered?

I've seen the Trinity from Diablo Sport and the AeroForce Interceptor. Anybody have experience with these or others?

Well, I may be the idiot for whom Ford made the oil-pressure idiot-gauge, but If I were driving and my oil-pressure gauge/light went anywhere at all south, I'd turn the engine off and call AAA for a tow to the dealership. I wouldn't think, "Well, it's 3/4-normal, so I guess I'll chance it."

That said, on principle I don't like being fooled by a "gauge" that's really an idiot-light in disguise. Just give me the lightbulb.

I agree it's not the most accurate but since I put in the 170 thermostat my gauge definitely reads lower in everyday driving.

Well, I may be the idiot for whom Ford made the oil-pressure idiot-gauge, but If I were driving and my oil-pressure gauge/light went anywhere at all south, I'd turn the engine off and call AAA for a tow to the dealership. I wouldn't think, "Well, it's 3/4-normal, so I guess I'll chance it."

That said, on principle I don't like being fooled by a "gauge" that's really an idiot-light in disguise. Just give me the lightbulb.

You'd be lucky to know if there was any problem, because the factory gauge won't go south until it's too late for you to do anything about it. I'd like to make the call if it goes 3/4 normal. As it is, I don't get the chance to decide, because the gauge will ALWAYS read 3/4 right up until it's too late....

You are never going to get a really accurate stock oil pressure gauge from the factory. I sometimes feel that the MFG. do not realize that with a forced induction car, oil pressure is of pretty high priority, more so than with a naturally aspirated motor. I had a 2005 Civic Si Hatch that I built for road course which I used an M62 Gen IV roots blower. The first gauge that went in was a good electric oil pressure (Defi Racer Series).

Archived