TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Corrosion Shelby Hood Pins (Hood/Plates)

What if anything is Shelby doing to fix this problem...........I am going to the dealer to check it out tomorrow.............MY 2008 is still under warranty

I can't speak to your question nor can I confirm or deny the cause of the problem. That said I can offer up for others that, as has been recommended many times here, if you have concerns about this switch your existing screws with aluminum ones. It's inexpensive and "may" help prevent or stop any further trouble.

A search for screws should yield the right info.

In my case, after three years of ownership I had no visible issues and to err on the side of caution I installed new screws. Why some are seeing this and some are not I can't say. It is important to note that Ford has TSB out for similar hood issues on the 06 cars without the drilling of any holes so there may be more to this than what our gut tells us.

I'm hoping for the best.

At least you're under warranty! Good luck!

I can't speak to your question nor can I confirm or deny the cause of the problem. That said I can offer up for others that, as has been recommended many times here, if you have concerns about this switch your existing screws with aluminum ones. It's inexpensive and "may" help prevent or stop any further trouble.

In my case, after three years of ownership I had no visible issues and to err on the side of caution I installed new screws. Why some are seeing this and some are not I can't say. It is important to note that Ford has TSB out for similar hood issues on the 06 cars without the drilling of any holes so there may be more to this than what our gut tells us.

I'm hoping for the best.

I have a set of the 2008 hood pins from Shelby, new in the box, for sale at a good price if anyone is interested. If so please PM.

I have not seen any issue yet either, however this is probably something I should take care of (i.e., by switching to aluminum screws)...unless I have aluminum already for some reason... :headscratch:

I have not seen any issue yet either, however this is probably something I should take care of (i.e., by switching to aluminum screws)...unless I have aluminum already for some reason... :headscratch:

dont count on it. i carry around a bag of aluminum aircraft grade screws just in case i run into another SGT owner. i've given out a bag already to a guy i ran into. got another one im going to give a bag to when i see him next. thegreat thing about being an aircraft mechanic. i get parts for next to nothing :dance:

What if anything is Shelby doing to fix this problem...........I am going to the dealer to check it out tomorrow.............MY 2008 is still under warranty

I observed the same problem and changed the hood pin set to the billet aluminum one and put in aluminum screws and that arrested the corrosion. In retrospect I think just changing the screws would have done the trick. McFeely's on the web is the place I got mine. I needed a square drive bit to install them which you can get from them.

Thanks For the information........Do You know what size the screw is...................

The problem is beacause of galvanic corrosion, period. Stainless in aluminum, add moisture and you get corrosion. The warranty will cover getting it fixed at Ford Dealer, mine is going in Monday for a respray of the area and clear on the whole hood....under warranty.

I'm hoping for the best.

Jeff oddly mine was good to go as well and then I caught a tiny bubble on the edge of plate and when I pulled the plate all corroded under there. I would have thought that on a car galvanic corrosion would not be an issue but I guess like boats it is....

Anytime you you use steel with aluminum you will have galvanic corrosion soon after the moisture starts interacting with the two dissimilar metals. I was talking to a nuts and bolts business one day about this same topic. He said that most road signs are aluminum and they are screwed into steel posts. He said that the attaching screws are a big business for him.

I just found the paperwork on the 2008 style Shelby hood pins I purchased. Total price, including shipping was 116.85. I will sell for 80.00, which will include shipping. If anyone is interested please send a message. Thank you. These hood pins are from SPP, Shelby Billet/SS Hood Pin Set. I am sure there has been a price increase since I purchased.

Aluminum and Steel are closer together on the nobility scale. Stainles is farther away from Aluminum, thus more galvanic current between the two....

My question is has anyone had any issues with the Al pop rivets in the stainless plates, I m rethinking the use of Al screws as it is still in contact with the stainless plates. Still making a connection and why would we just not see the corrosion start on the Al screws...

A few years ago I fabricated and engineered a public art piece for another artist that had a 3/8 thick bronze plate design element attached with stainless bolts to a 3/8" thick fabricated steel element with holes I tapped into the steel. I isolated the bronze from the stainless bolts with nylon spacers and sleeves....no contact no electrical connection no problems...

Or how about just going to a polished Al hood pin kit with Al pop rivets? Anybody have any advice?

Pasted from the now closed corrosion moving to the stainless plate thread:

SGT/SC#0471

Dont see how this would alleviate the corrosion but just move it to another location...galvanic corrosion is a very complicated situation...so in practice is this getting the corrosion problem solved?

---------------

jmn444

Subscribing, and thanks for the reminder to pull my plates off and re-inspect them soon!

------------------------

LGSchmidtJr

i think about it everytime i wash the car...

Laurence

The stainless screws are more of a problem then the plates because the plates have a non-metallic gasket betweem them and the hood. The screws are threaded into the aluminum hood removing paint as they form threads and thats where the galvanic corrosion starts and then spreads like cancer.

The stainless screws are more of a problem then the plates because the plates have a non-metallic gasket betweem them and the hood. The screws are threaded into the aluminum hood removing paint as they form threads and thats where the galvanic corrosion starts and then spreads like cancer.

+1

The car comes with Stainless Screws which is suspected of causing the hood corrosion around the screw holes of the hood pins. To address this the generally accepted solution, to date, has been to swap these screws for aluminum ones and remove the possible source of the contamination.

The new question then is do the presence of the aluminum screws mean that there will be issues with the stainless pin plates and the screws causing issues with the plates or possibly the screws themselves and will that in turn spread to the hood anyway?

Good question... and no idea. I switched to aluminum screws about a year ago and haven't seen any issues thus far.

FYI! On this subject I would caution people not to remove the pin plates too often, to check, as the screw holes will tend to bend inward and out more and more with each remove/replace soon leaving nothing for the screws to catch on to.

I've posted a couple times on the hood pin screws - here it is again.

The aluminum screws for the hood pin base are #8 screws, 3/8" in length. You will not find aluminum screws with a phillips head that will fit inside the base holes. Further, I could not find any flat head #8 screws that would fit inside of the base. Instead of drilling out the base holes, I purchased the #8 screws and ground the heads down so they fit in the holes in the base. To do this, take a screw and place it in a drill. Grab a good file and clamp it in a bench vise. Turn the drill on and grind down the aluminum head against the file until it is the proper size to fit inside of the pre-drilled hole on the hood pin base. Grind slowly Conan, or you'll grind too much off!!!!!! I'd recommend you buy a couple extra screws - don't ask me how I know!

If you have stainless or steel screws, I'd get them removed as soon as possible. If anyone doesn't understand how galvanic corrosion can destroy aluminum, try a search on google as they can explain it better than I.

dont count on it. i carry around a bag of aluminum aircraft grade screws just in case i run into another SGT owner. i've given out a bag already to a guy i ran into. got another one im going to give a bag to when i see him next. thegreat thing about being an aircraft mechanic. i get parts for next to nothing :dance:

Is it possible for you to send me a set, i have the updated aluminum plates. Thanks jason

I've posted a couple times on the hood pin screws - here it is again.

The aluminum screws for the hood pin base are #8 screws, 3/8" in length. You will not find aluminum screws with a phillips head that will fit inside the base holes. Further, I could not find any flat head #8 screws that would fit inside of the base. Instead of drilling out the base holes, I purchased the #8 screws and ground the heads down so they fit in the holes in the base. To do this, take a screw and place it in a drill. Grab a good file and clamp it in a bench vise. Turn the drill on and grind down the aluminum head against the file until it is the proper size to fit inside of the pre-drilled hole on the hood pin base. Grind slowly Conan, or you'll grind too much off!!!!!! I'd recommend you buy a couple extra screws - don't ask me how I know!

If you have stainless or steel screws, I'd get them removed as soon as possible. If anyone doesn't understand how galvanic corrosion can destroy aluminum, try a search on google as they can explain it better than I.

i'll also post part numbers and pick up some extra's for when i run into people.

Is it possible for you to send me a set, i have the updated aluminum plates. Thanks jason

if the need is bad enough i might start sending people sets. i have had several people ask about them. the screws i use are aircraft grade i'll post part numbers and places you can find them tomorrow. most aircraft parts suppliers will have them.

and on a side note to "bruce" i do appoligise about not getting back to you on the screws, we've been overloaded at the shop. long story short boss wants a bunch of engines built NOW....and we've been trying to work miracles.....

AHEM! i'll post a picture of the philips heads in the morning...aircraft grade my friend aircraft grade. better yet i'll also post part numbers and pick up some extra's for when i run into people.

Please do...please do. GT Aero, which sells and specializes in airplane parts, is owned by a very good friend of mine. He had none, and we looked thru many books for the proper screws and could not find any. So fire away with what you got. Most people do not not go to airplane parts or boating supply houses for aluminum screws. I called several screw wholesalers on the internet and had no luck. I had no luck with boating supply businesses either. Can't wait to see what you found. Also, please post the price, part numbers, where they can be ordered and minimum quantity to order.

Please do...please do. GT Aero, which sells and specializes in airplane parts, is owned by a very good friend of mine. He had none, and we looked thru many books for the proper screws and could not find any. So fire away with what you got. Most people do not not go to airplane parts or boating supply houses for aluminum screws. I called several screw wholesalers on the internet and had no luck. I had no luck with boating supply businesses either. Can't wait to see what you found. Also, please post the price, part numbers, where they can be ordered and minimum quantity to order.

first i want to apologize. my first post was a little bit butt-headed. didnt realize that at the time. i've been cranky the last few days, its kinda showing through. ME ---> :rant2:

i found the ones im using by complete accident. was going through our parts room one day trying to find something just happened to find a set that would fit it. i'll grab everything we need tommorow

I work for a scuba mfg and we sell a lube christolube 125 has dielectric properties which halts corrosive activity we use it to lube alum tank treads and steel valves to rprevent seizing and corrosion. do you think this will work on screws on hood plates. Before I retired from Army we used this on anything with assembly of non like metals see we have it in stock dont have an issues yet and cant find alum. screw anywhere here, I may try this of course my car never sees rain and keep clean so have not washed since 07 SGT 113 with 900 miles dont have much time to enjoy Bruce

well i got bad news, worse news and bad personal news.

got to work this morning and the bin i found the screws in was empty.

the worse news. i cant find an airworthiness cert for the screws. means no part number. asked my boss about them and he couldnt find a part number for them either. they may have been part of an install kit for some special equipment. all i know is they fit.

and the bad personal news. im down a screw on my hood. pulled one out when i got to work to make sure i was getting the proper length screws soon as the thing came out i dropped it. the instant it hit the pavement it vanished. 30 minutes of searching the parking lot and i still couldn't find it :banghead:

at this point i'll see about going through our orders to see if i can find who we ordered screws from. if i cant find them i'll see about having some customs made. if i find a P/N for them i'll let you know.

well i got bad news, worse news and bad personal news.

got to work this morning and the bin i found the screws in was empty.

the worse news. i cant find an airworthiness cert for the screws. means no part number. asked my boss about them and he couldnt find a part number for them either. they may have been part of an install kit for some special equipment. all i know is they fit.

and the bad personal news. im down a screw on my hood. pulled one out when i got to work to make sure i was getting the proper length screws soon as the thing came out i dropped it. the instant it hit the pavement it vanished. 30 minutes of searching the parking lot and i still couldn't find it :banghead:

at this point i'll see about going through our orders to see if i can find who we ordered screws from. if i cant find them i'll see about having some customs made. if i find a P/N for them i'll let you know.

Thanks for checking. That is the same problem I had at my friends aero parts business. He had bins and bins of screws, but nothing that fit properly. We couldn't find anything to work.

Archived