TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Terlingua racer VS Rehagen GT

MichaelP

Hi Everyone-

I usually lurk in the Shelby GT500 forum and have been wanting to "do more" than just HPDE in the future. So, I've settled on a few mods for the GT500 and will probably use it for HPDE only..

I would eventually like to obtain a competition license through NASA or SCCA and MAYBE race in American Iron series..

Rehagen looks like they do a nice build from a GT for about 50K...ready for NASA, GRAND-AM, SCCA, etc.. http://www.rehagenracing.com/

Is the Terlingua built with racing in mind (roll cages, fire suppression, chassis, suspension, etc).. Or, is it supposed to run in Terlingua events only? Much like the Mustang Challenge cars...which will be no longer... bummer..

Thanks, everyone, for any advice..

Mike

I do know of one Terlingua that is set up for that. Roll cage and all, it was done at Shelby. It is one fast bunny!

If 50k is your target, you can get a Terlingua built with all the stuff you want for that price.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, maybe a new GT350 might be a good option.... :happy feet:

I do know of one Terlingua that is set up for that. Roll cage and all, it was done at Shelby. It is one fast bunny!

If 50k is your target, you can get a Terlingua built with all the stuff you want for that price.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, maybe a new GT350 might be a good option.... :happy feet:

as long as you dont want to go over 120! :hysterical:

The Terlingua is not "built" with the race options you are asking about, but they can be added for sure.

There are several now with some or all of these mods added, additional boost added for performance etc.

The Terlingua comes from SA or the mod shop with great handling. great braking, and good accleration as is and tops out at about 145 MPH with the 3:73 rear end and about 375 HP at the crank.

Several owners though have changed pulley's and tunes, added 50+ HP, upped the top end, added roll cages etc. One was just clocked at 157 MPH with the additions.

The trick will be finding a suitable donor for the build and the rest can be done by SA.

Feel free to drop me a note if you want more info on the Terlingua I am an owner, a registrar, and know all or most of the other owners. Be glad to help or chat.

vorpl8@yahoo.com

David

Well, you certainly have your choices and they are all good. Being a Shelby fanatic and also working for Grand-Am and the Mustang Challenge, I would be happy to help you out with any info based on what you want to do. Rehagan would be a good bet to work with no matter what your decision. They build great cars for any level of Mustang racing. Yes, it's a bummer that the Mustang Challenge is over, but the cars are certainly readily available and can be raced in many different series. If I was looking to get a great track car that can be configured in many different ways depending on how and which events you'd like to do, I would probably go the route of buying a new Mustang Challenge car. There are still about 10 cars available for purchase brand new and race ready to go, flip the switch-hit the start button ready to race. The current price I think is between $50-55K. If you're seriously interested, I can get you the contacts for that. If you wanted to build up a Terlingua to race ready, you'd be spending close to that. Rehagan can build you a car from a new 5.0 for pretty close to that also. That might be another great option. A cool thing about the Mustang Challenge FR500S, is that you can race amature all the way to professional. The SCCA World Challenge has now accepted the FR500S into the GTS class. You can race the FR500S in a couple different NASA classes. You can't as of yet race a new 5.0 in the World Challenge unless you spent bookoo bucks to go full GT. So it all depends on what you really want to do. The Terlingua would be fun, but you may be somewhat limited on where you can race, again all depends on what you want to do. Dean Martin at Rehagan racing is a great guy and I'm sure can help point you any direction you want to go. He's also a great racer and instructor. His shop can build up any of the above cars. If you go the Terlingua route, Shelby will only do so much. You would have to have somebody like Rehagan finish the racing touches, such as the cage, etc. You can also look up Tim Steive (svttim) on here has purchased one of Rehagan's GT track cars and has much fun with it. Rehagan also has a couple FR500C cars available I think. Which are the Grand-Am ready 5.0 cammer cars.

Good luck! Sounds like you're ready to have some fun!

Well, you certainly have your choices and they are all good. Being a Shelby fanatic and also working for Grand-Am and the Mustang Challenge, I would be happy to help you out with any info based on what you want to do. Rehagan would be a good bet to work with no matter what your decision. They build great cars for any level of Mustang racing. Yes, it's a bummer that the Mustang Challenge is over, but the cars are certainly readily available and can be raced in many different series. If I was looking to get a great track car that can be configured in many different ways depending on how and which events you'd like to do, I would probably go the route of buying a new Mustang Challenge car. There are still about 10 cars available for purchase brand new and race ready to go, flip the switch-hit the start button ready to race. The current price I think is between $50-55K. If you're seriously interested, I can get you the contacts for that. If you wanted to build up a Terlingua to race ready, you'd be spending close to that. Rehagan can build you a car from a new 5.0 for pretty close to that also. That might be another great option. A cool thing about the Mustang Challenge FR500S, is that you can race amature all the way to professional. The SCCA World Challenge has now accepted the FR500S into the GTS class. You can race the FR500S in a couple different NASA classes. You can't as of yet race a new 5.0 in the World Challenge unless you spent bookoo bucks to go full GT. So it all depends on what you really want to do. The Terlingua would be fun, but you may be somewhat limited on where you can race, again all depends on what you want to do. Dean Martin at Rehagan racing is a great guy and I'm sure can help point you any direction you want to go. He's also a great racer and instructor. His shop can build up any of the above cars. If you go the Terlingua route, Shelby will only do so much. You would have to have somebody like Rehagan finish the racing touches, such as the cage, etc. You can also look up Tim Steive (svttim) on here has purchased one of Rehagan's GT track cars and has much fun with it. Rehagan also has a couple FR500C cars available I think. Which are the Grand-Am ready 5.0 cammer cars.

Good luck! Sounds like you're ready to have some fun!

Thanks Jeff and David for this info. I love this forum! I have emailed Rehagan about their arrive and drive program that is available.. I just could not bear to do too much more to my GT500...by the time I added everything I wanted to make it a racer I could just buy a car dedicated to racing..and I think it would be better and safer.

I need to get my license next through NASA.. I'll be attending their HPDE classes when they start back again next year here on east coast and maybe i can get behind one of Dean's GT's in the meantime.

Speedworks has two FR500's available but I like the idea of taking the new 5.0 and converting that to a spec racer as long as the horsepower/weight ratio's are correct for the AI series.

M.

Archived