TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1-2 Shift Speed shift

georgefrye

The 2010+ is a stronger transmission than 07-09. Changes were made to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear synchros for additional strength and the rating was increased from 600 to 610 ft/lbs. This is exactly where the problem lies.

What exactly was done? I know the T56 vs. TR6060 change, but what occured regarding the syncro's?

That isn't true at all. I did exactly that just today in fact.

Not denying there aren't issues with some people's cars but I'm not experiencing it in mine.

+1 I have not had the problem either. The shifter does have to be pulled back and towards the driver. It does have a pull to the passenger side if you just come out of first and do not pull it back towards the driver. This is new to most older drivers due to the trannies of old where you would pull way up from first to way down in second, with this short throw you can not pull like that and it does have a tendency to want to go into neutral if you do not pull slightly to the left while shifing into second. I have power shifted at all rpm ranges and speed shifted at all rpm ranges. I am in no way saying that there is not a problem, but I think in some cases, not all, but in some cases it is driver error.

There appears to be a fairly wide range of experiences out there:

1) GT500 won't ever shift from 1st-2nd under wide open throttle

_A ) i hate the car, some have even lemon lawed it, or spend hours of their lives complaining on GT500 forums

_ B ) doesn't really matter that much to me

_C ) this is a challenge, let me see if I can fix it

____ i ) negotiate with my dealer, replace internals

_____ii ) aftermarket solutions (shifter, electronic throttle controls, transmission braces)

2) My GT500 very infrequently won't go into 2nd gear

_A ) why does this always happen when I'm at a light next to a camaro - I hate this car

_B ) if I modify my driving style this isn't an issue for me

_C ) doesn't really matter that much to me

3) I never have experienced the problem

This topic tends to spin out of control because inevitably someone brings up driver skill. In one of two contexts:

1) Those that experience the problem don't know how to shift so they have damaged their transmission.

2) Those that don't have the problem aren't skilled enough, that is shift fast enough at WOT, to experience it.

Then all the facts get lost in the ruffled feathers and flames. For the most part I think the posters are just trying to inform others about their experiences with their GT500, and perhaps summarize at least a years worth of posts on the topic of 1-2nd shifting in GT500s. Not insult each other. I suspect most of us would really like to figure out what is going on. Flame wars just get in the way of that, please shrug off the personal stuff.

• 1 year later...

Mine did it twice, probably my fault for lifting the clutch too soon. I've adjusted my shifting style a bit, i.e. pulling the shifter a little towards me and making sure the clutch is buried. Hasn't happened since. I've been driving sports cars since the 70's, and every one is a little different. Like others have said, it's a Tremec issue. Go to the Z06 forums and they have the same problems.

It is annoying when it happens, but personally I don't speed shift at 6200 enough to worry about it. For me, it's not worth having a tech with unknown skills tear into my tranny, not to mention have my car laid up for who knows how long. JMHO.

Archived