TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1-2 Shift Speed shift

georgefrye

I have a 2011 Shelby GT500 with SVT package. When I try to speed shift to 2nd I allways get a racking of the gears anyone else have that problem.? I am a old drag racer from the 50-60 era so I thought I could handle a speed shift but this one has me bafffeled. Any answers out there? :shift:

Thanks George

I have a 2011 Shelby GT500 with SVT package. When I try to speed shift to 2nd I allways get a racking of the gears anyone else have that problem.? I am a old drag racer from the 50-60 era so I thought I could handle a speed shift but this one has me bafffeled. Any answers out there? :shift:

Thanks George

Just scroll down on this forum. It's a known issue. You cannot speed shift or power shift at max RPM into second gear with the TR6060 as it's built today.

Just scroll down on this forum. It's a known issue. You cannot speed shift or power shift at max RPM into second gear with the TR6060 as it's built today.

That isn't true at all. I did exactly that just today in fact.

Not denying there aren't issues with some people's cars but I'm not experiencing it in mine.

That isn't true at all. I did exactly that just today in fact.

Not denying there aren't issues with some people's cars but I'm not experiencing it in mine.

Seems like everything I say today is absolute...The chance of it happening is not surprising and seems to be expected with most folks. IT is a known issue and complaint with the TR6060. If you're getting grinding on speed/power shifting then back off some. Technique is a large part of it as well, however most feel this technique shouldn't be required on a 50k car :)

You cannot speed shift or power shift at max RPM into second gear with the TR6060 as it's built today.

Seems like everything I say today is absolute.

You posted a very "absolute" statement and no, it is NOT absolute as your statement implies. I've posted several videos from within my car while doing exactly what you state "cannot" be done. Not everyone has this issue. I have made many dragstrip passes with my tr6060 and it's smooth as butter.

You posted a very "absolute" statement and no, it is NOT absolute as your statement implies. I've posted several videos from within my car while doing exactly what you state "cannot" be done. Not everyone has this issue. I have made many dragstrip passes with my tr6060 and it's smooth as butter.

I actually agree with you, so let me just revise everything and be 100% clear. Although you haven't posted a video of every second gear shift you have ever made ;) I was mostly poking at myself for making absolute statements elsewhere in life that day, instead of taking the time to explain. :banghead:

Do NOT be surprised if your 2007-2011 GT500 doesn't like to shift quickly into second and grinds. There is a second and separate issue that seems to appear on the newer cars that is preventing shifts into second altogether which is not applicable to the TR6060 grind. There are many factors at play and it can be a very fickle beast. Driver Technique is a LARGE part of it. The difference in gear speed between first and second on this car is pretty large. Creating a hefty change in gear speed. The other gears do not have this gap.

1) Pull the shifter towards you while pulling back into second.

2) Shift a little early going into second, shifting near the rev limiter or under heavy wheel spin increases the chance of grind

3) Slam clutch to the floor and then shift

• 2 months later...

Thanks George

Like others have stated I noticed the difference from 1st to 2nd and looked in the gearing difference between the two and after talking to some professionals the consensus seems to be that the difference between first to second is pretty big and it is just the synchro is just trying to match up. After this I started letting the synchro match up before shoving it into second. This has helped grealty.

2011 GT500 SVTPP

Like others have stated I noticed the difference from 1st to 2nd and looked in the gearing difference between the two and after talking to some professionals the consensus seems to be that the difference between first to second is pretty big and it is just the synchro is just trying to match up. After this I started letting the synchro match up before shoving it into second. This has helped grealty.

2011 GT500 SVTPP

However, now your shift is slower correct?

You cannot speed shift or power shift at max RPM into second gear with the TR6060 as it's built today.

I do not have *any* problem speed shifting from 1st into 2nd however, my transmission was not built *today*.

My car is a 2010 and was built in Sept. '09.

Having said that, the problem appears to be totally random and as such appears to be the exception, not the rule. For the ones you hear about here on TS, there are literally tens of thousands that do NOT have a problem.

And I'm one of those....

HTH,

Phill

However, now your shift is slower correct?

Yes I would def say it is slowed down but I will have it into Ford as soon as I hear they have a fix, like other folks have said. I honestly didn't even think about it until I saw something on here so I guess it may not affect everyone but it seems that there is a problem as there are quite a few people who are having this problem...

This problem appeared in the 2010+ configuration of the TR6060 for the GT500. There are not "tens of thousands" of them as the above poster implied.

I didn't *imply* it, I flat out STATED it.

I was using the entire run of GT500's that use that same transmission, not just a specific year model or two. The only thing I know that changed in the 2010/11 transmissions vs. the 2007-2009 transmissions is the 5th and 6th gear ratios. I've never heard a *thing* about a 2nd gear syncro ring change on them and that's obviously where the problem lies.

So, okay, let's go with *your* number... ~TEN THOUSAND cars. Boy, that changes *everthing*, doesn't it? No, it doesn't.

There were right around 5K 2010's made (with coupes and 'verts, I believe it was >5,000 units) and I haven't seen a final count on the 2011 MY yet but I would think they outsold the 10's because of the aluminium block and the SVTPP option.

So (at least) TEN THOUSAND cars with a *few* that have problems. Wow, that canges the entire context of the issue...NOT!

Phill

I was using the entire run of GT500's that use that same transmission, not just a specific year model or two. The only thing I know that changed in the 2010/11 transmissions vs. the 2007-2009 transmissions is the 5th and 6th gear ratios. I've never heard a *thing* about a 2nd gear syncro ring change on them and that's obviously where the problem lies.

So, okay, let's go with *your* number... ~TEN THOUSAND cars. Boy, that changes *everthing*, doesn't it? No, it doesn't.

There were right around 5K 2010's made (with coupes and 'verts, I believe it was >5,000 units) and I haven't seen a final count on the 2011 MY yet but I would think they outsold the 10's because of the aluminium block and the SVTPP option.

So (at least) TEN THOUSAND cars with a *few* that have problems. Wow, that canges the entire context of the issue...NOT!

Phill

Unless your last name is Ford or Tremec, I can't imagine why you're so defensive about this...???

It's nice that your car, with all of its modifications, including an MGW shifter, doesn't grind in to second.

Notwithstanding your good fortune, a very significant percentage of the 2010-11 GT500s "have the issue." It is not a "few." The only poll I saw on the issue revealed the problem existed in more than 1/2 of the responders' cars. Even Ford acknowledges that a lot of customers are having "the issue" and Ford is looking to take some corrective action.

Of all the topics posted on these forums, this 1-2 grind issue really seems to divide the community, with many of those who don't experience the problem often feeling the need to defend Ford/SVT/Tremec/Shelby, simply because their specific car doesn't have the defect. No one is suggesting that all of our cars have the defect. Even with the inability to speedshift, it is still a very cool, quick car, that is otherwise a blast to drive.

I've posted about the 1-2 grind here, but I certainly don't suggest that all GT500s have the problem. Why is it that whenever someone tries to post their problem, some other members pounce on the thread to say they don't have the problem?

I noticed about midway through 1st you grip the stick and pull it toward your knee while still reving up first, almost as if preparing to go into second gear while applying force toward the left prior and during the throw to second gear, please correct me if I am wrong, just thought I saw that in your video.

Unless your last name is Ford or Tremec, I can't imagine why you're so defensive about this...???

It's nice that your car, with all of its modifications, including an MGW shifter, doesn't grind in to second.

Notwithstanding your good fortune, a very significant percentage of the 2010-11 GT500s "have the issue." It is not a "few." The only poll I saw on the issue revealed the problem existed in more than 1/2 of the responders' cars. Even Ford acknowledges that a lot of customers are having "the issue" and Ford is looking to take some corrective action.

Of all the topics posted on these forums, this 1-2 grind issue really seems to divide the community, with many of those who don't experience the problem often feeling the need to defend Ford/SVT/Tremec/Shelby, simply because their specific car doesn't have the defect. No one is suggesting that all of our cars have the defect. Even with the inability to speedshift, it is still a very cool, quick car, that is otherwise a blast to drive.

I've posted about the 1-2 grind here, but I certainly don't suggest that all GT500s have the problem. Why is it that whenever someone tries to post their problem, some other members pounce on the thread to say they don't have the problem?

+1

Almost as though some are braging that they don't have issues. Wouldn't it be considerate to acknowlege , some just don't understand, that some of us have an issue and positive feedback would be appreciated. The contrary is counterproductive.

Thanks

Phill

The 2010+ is a stronger transmission than 07-09. Changes were made to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear synchros for additional strength and the rating was increased from 600 to 610 ft/lbs. This is exactly where the problem lies.

The 2010+ is a stronger transmission than 07-09. Changes were made to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear synchros for additional strength and the rating was increased from 600 to 610 ft/lbs. This is exactly where the problem lies.

Sounds like they should of left it alone.

Why would they bother for 10 ft/lbs?

• 2 weeks later...

Reading many of the posts around the 1-2 shift issue and have never read any detail as to what mode the driver had the traction control in. I personally have noticed that if the traction control is fully on or if its in sport mode there is no problem with my car going from 1st to 2nd under high RPM. However, if I have the traction control all the way off it is a lot more finicky as to going into second.

Has anyone else seen this? For those who are having the 1-2 shift issue does it happen in all traction control modes?

Thx

Reading many of the posts around the 1-2 shift issue and have never read any detail as to what mode the driver had the traction control in. I personally have noticed that if the traction control is fully on or if its in sport mode there is no problem with my car going from 1st to 2nd under high RPM. However, if I have the traction control all the way off it is a lot more finicky as to going into second.

Has anyone else seen this? For those who are having the 1-2 shift issue does it happen in all traction control modes?

Thx

No difference on mine at all.

:lurk:

Mine often grinds when going from 1st to 2nd. But I think it's driver error mostly. When I get things right it goes very smoothly.

To me the car is a different animal in sport mode vs having it in the normal mode when you start up the car. It feels edgier and allows me to have a little more fun. In sport mode I can spin the tires in the first 3 gears. With it fully on, wheel spin in third gear will not happen.

With the traction control turned all the way off the car seems to be more powerful however you have to be very mindful of the accelerator as it is very easy to spin the car.

Wanted to find out if anyone feels this same differences?

Thx

I'm a racer from the 60s also. Transmission/linkage systems of the 60s were superior to the manuals of today. I experienced the same problems last summer with my 2010. I could power shift at 3000 but couldn't speed shift at 6000. Speed shifting into 2nd (@6200) required a lot of force; way more than should be needed. As I kept force shifting, 2nd gear got more and more difficult. It wouldn't grind, it would deny entry until the revs dropped. Eventually 3rd gear began denying. The force being used to shift was bending forks and other components inside the trans and damaging the synchros.

Last Fall I waited 6 weeks for new parts. The original time frame was 3 weeks with a definite delivery date. The date kept sliding. When the dealer got the parts they were indeed redesigned parts with new part numbers. As a precaution, the dealer installed a new shifter with stops to prevent future bending of parts. Because I got the car back in mid November, all I did was drive it from the dealership to home and store it. But, it shifted much better at normal rpms then it did when it was new. I took it up easy to 6000 and shifted and that too was better than when it was new; though it still is more difficult than it should be. We'll see this spring if it can be quick shifted at 6200 under full acceleration.

Archived