TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Perfect SGT Naturally Aspirated Street Car

I have the paxton standard shift. John Walker advised me not to go with 4:10's so I settled with 3:73's. I can not remember why. Anyone?

Wow, John Walker. That is going back some. The thought was that 4:10's brought the 5-speed gears too close together and that you spend more time shifting (and you are not accelerating if you are shifting) than need be given the fantastic torque curves of these motors. People differ in what they want but that was what John told me when I brought up 4:10's for my car. He said 3:73's were are far as he would take it.

Jim

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're going anything over 500, the rule of thumb is that you're going to have get some forged internals no?

i would. or someone's goin to have a piston rod stickin out the block.

as far as the thread's subject i'd probably go with the ford whipple and probably have Ford do it. incase they screw up its on them. i'm gonna run it tame too. no more than 10lb boost. not like im goin to go drag race. i just want that extra "UMMMMF" goin up them hills on them passin lanes on the old 71 highway in northwest Arkansas. be nice to hear that lil whine under the hood too. "wwweeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEE"

yeah 4.10s would make 1st gear almost usless. it would be like a granny gear to me. good for rock crawlin if u have a 4x4. but in a manual SGT its rediculous. i still have the 3.55 and i shift into 2nd quick enough just driving normal on the street.

now if i were stopped on a steep hill at a stoplight with some idiot right on my tailgate 4.10s would come in handy. :idea::rockon:

Been there and done that on 410's. I installed them when i was n/a and they were great. The best mod you can do to your car for the money.I've had the shorty headers,tune, and aluminum d/s and the 410's will out perform all these other mods together. As far as 1st gear being useless, i disgree. These cars were made for 410's in n/a form. You might have to shift sooner but if you are good at shifting then 410's will out run the 373's in the quarter. Why go with 373's when they are to close to the stock gears for a seat of the pants feel. The 410's will make a big difference in the feel of your car. I would suggest anyone who is comtemplating a gear change to drive a n/a car with 410's before making a decision. I'm s/c now and i'm still going to keep my 410's. If i was s/c first then i would have left the gears alone as the s/c has so much power to start with. I have not seen anyone on this forum who got 410's for a n/a car that were displeased with them.

Wow, John Walker. That is going back some. The thought was that 4:10's brought the 5-speed gears too close together and that you spend more time shifting (and you are not accelerating if you are shifting) than need be given the fantastic torque curves of these motors. People differ in what they want but that was what John told me when I brought up 4:10's for my car. He said 3:73's were are far as he would take it.

Jim

that's it thanks.

The older I get the better I was....

Archived