TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Any 2011 owners grinding on the 1-2 shift?

mhoglund

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.I use to have the grind problem. It happened one time when I was getting down on it a little. Then when I went to repeat the same thing at 5800rpm it did not want to go in gear at all. I did a major overhaul and it went away. I belive what cured mine was the fact that I changed out the UCA/LCA. I noticed when I use to roll on the throttle it seemed like the drive train was actually moving around in the car. The rear felt like it was raising up has the throttle was being pressed to the floor. Needless to say after all the changes and over 700rwhp the thing shifts like glass and I shift at about 6200rpm. Shift at 6500 just one time and it was still like butter. So I think stiffening up the rear to keep the drivetrain from flexing solved my problem

.I use to have the grind problem. It happened one time when I was getting down on it a little. Then when I went to repeat the same thing at 5800rpm it did not want to go in gear at all. I did a major overhaul and it went away. I belive what cured mine was the fact that I changed out the UCA/LCA. I noticed when I use to roll on the throttle it seemed like the drive train was actually moving around in the car. The rear felt like it was raising up has the throttle was being pressed to the floor. Needless to say after all the changes and over 700rwhp the thing shifts like glass and I shift at about 6200rpm. Shift at 6500 just one time and it was still like butter. So I think stiffening up the rear to keep the drivetrain from flexing solved my problem

Adding to that I could see how drivetrain shift could cause problems shifting. Many GT owners had problems speed shifting into 3rd gear as the shifter would bind when the drivetrain flexed under load. It was solve by upgrading the motor mounts and/or shifter. I wonder how many guys with aftermarket shifters are still having the grinding problem?

I wish that I had changed one thing at a time I could give better advice but I changed a lot at one time. The shifter, driveshaft, UCA and LCA. I did notice the first time when it gave a slight grind the shifter felt out of place. When I did the purposeful shift to see what happend and it locked out I noticed the drivetrain flexing. I know most never touch the shifter until it's time to shift but I keep my hand on it. If you hold the shifter and roll onto the throttle I could actually feel the shifter pulling towards the passenger side of the car. The back felt like it wanted to come around so to say but it stayed straight. I could also feel the DS in the center of the car. Once all was done and I nail it now the shifter is stationary.

I have a belief that if you were to change out to a better shifter and use torque control arms it would solve the problem. I know ford should have used better parts but I guess in mass production when you try to save money and keep the car at costs it happens. Could it be as simple as driveline flex. I think that is why some have it and some don't. When my shifter was pulling to the passenger side I guess the shift and pull it to you technique was helping bring it back to its original position for some.

Now this is all speculation but when mine made the first grind I took immediate notice and didn't keep on doing it. Just tried one more time and was very observant. Also the factory shifter has very poor rubber bushings compared to the MGW and also the UCA and LCA. On the dyno I noticed the motor really doesn't move so I think it is the rest of the car causing the problem. I did notice that when I installed my shifter and DS the trans mount was on the loose side. Heck I found a few loose bolts going through the car like the DS bolts were backing out.

Next time you drive your car put your hand on the shifter while your getting on it and see how much deflection you have. I'm willing to bet those that don't have problems shifter is not really moving. Those that are grinding badly shifters are moving all over the place.

Just like the title says. Are any 2011 owners having trouble with grinding on the 1-2 shift? I have only had my 2011 for a few days and I have had this happen 2 times already. How long should I wait before I take it in to the dealership? The car has about 70 miles on it.

My 2010 GT500 Trans became unusable in late August. At first, I could shift into 2nd, at high rpm, only with a lot of force and third with somewhat less force.

By August, I couldn't get it into either without allowing the Rsss to drop. Shifted fine at 3000 but almost impossible at 6000.

I believe that the forks are bent and synchros damaged.

To prevent some of this damage in the future, I've had a new shifter with stops added.

Trans parts were ordered in September but weren't received until early Nov.. Replacement parts have new part numbers.

Work will be completed this week.

Compared to four speeds of the sixties, the GT500 trans is a very bad transmission.

Quite frankly, and I'm a manual trans guy, I rather have a race automatic as opposed to this bucket of bolts.

Sixties

I contacted the Ford executive offices and there is no TSB out on this issue.

Just had my first grind shifting from 3rd to 4th right under 6000 rpm's. Couldn't replicate on the next two runs so I don't know if I short shifted or it's a sign.

Regarding the 1, 2 grinding, I had issues with my 96 mustang and the DOT advised that I needed to contact the Ford Customer Complaint line to start building an official case. Several years later I was refunded a majority of the repairs costs after enough customer complaints turned the issue into an official recall by Ford. :sos:

Has anyone tried simply a different fluid? Like maybe the Royal Purple Synchromesh or Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF? I have a couple quarts of each sitting in my garage and have really been pondering trying one or the other to see if it has any effect at all. I know in my T56, it did shift smoother once I put the RP in, but I never had high RPM shifting problems with either of the T56's I had so not sure if it would make much of a difference with the shifting issue the TR6060 has.

Had my 2011 since July, 1649 miles to date, & have no 1st to 2nd shift issues, mine is a non SVT unit..Of the 2011 owners that have shift issues, how many are SVT equipped ? As everything in these cars is PCM controlled, could there be different " tweeks " on the SVT models ?

Had my 2011 since July, 1649 miles to date, & have no 1st to 2nd shift issues, mine is a non SVT unit..Of the 2011 owners that have shift issues, how many are SVT equipped ? As everything in these cars is PCM controlled, could there be different " tweeks " on the SVT models ?

This is purely a mechanical issue. Has to do with the Second gear syncoros in the tranny. Some have it and some dont.

Well, like I just linked above ... :reading:

That link doesn't really tell you much more than "I heard" or "Someone told me" or "on another thread I read". I wouldn't have asked if it supplied me with a definitive answer, but the only guy that actually posted thoughts about it and has used a different fluid with success also happens to have a completely rebuilt and upgraded transmission. I'm asking if anyone here has tried other fluids and if so, what was the outcome. I'd rather not drain 2200 mile factory fill and dump $50 worth of fluid into the thing only to find out that it will make things worse.

No because 10's have it too. For that matter, so do Challengers, Corvettes, Camaros and even a few Vipers. Some cars have it during all kinds of shifting, some cars have it only under high RPM power shifting and some don't have it at all. From my research, it seems like the one's that only grind under high RPM power shifting are the majority and therefore it's not being addressed by Ford since they don't recommend you power shift the car anyway. It's all lop sided and biased though because not everyone that has one of these is posting about it on the Internet. On top of that, most that have no problems don't complain and its certainly rare for people to seek threads out to brag about things that work the way their supposed to.

Mine only does it when I power shift at high RPM (which I don't do very often anyway) and occasionally when shifting fast under power (not necessarily power shifting). I added a CHE control arm brace along with their engine torque limiter set up and since then, I've not missed a shift or had a grind at all. I'm waiting to post up about it to give it some more testing and make sure I have good data before I go telling everyone to buy it and claim it to be the fix or even an improver.

Mine only does it when I power shift at high RPM (which I don't do very often anyway) and occasionally when shifting fast under power (not necessarily power shifting). I added a CHE control arm brace along with their engine torque limiter set up and since then, I've not missed a shift or had a grind at all. I'm waiting to post up about it to give it some more testing and make sure I have good data before I go telling everyone to buy it and claim it to be the fix or even an improver.

I had the CHE part on my Whipple supercharged 2006 Mustang GT and it worked awesome. I wondered if this might help on the GT500's that are having the 1-2 shift problem. My GT had problems powershifting into 3rd before I installed the brace and torque limiters, after the install I had no more problems. I was wondering that if there was some drivetrain movement under load if that was what might be causing a bit of bind and hense the gear grind.

Revised motor mounts and transmission mount allowing less drivetrain flex and eliminating any binding might be the cure for this grinding problem.

PistolWhip keep us posted in regards to how the CHE parts work for you.

CHE K-member brace w/torque limiters

I'm going to look in to adding the CHE support which will help holding things in line and only $160. That's better than my car sitting at Ford again for a month waiting a transmission rebuild. I already did that once. Since then I replaced the shifter with an MGW and this support will surely help.

No because 10's have it too. For that matter, so do Challengers, Corvettes, Camaros and even a few Vipers. Some cars have it during all kinds of shifting, some cars have it only under high RPM power shifting and some don't have it at all. From my research, it seems like the one's that only grind under high RPM power shifting are the majority and therefore it's not being addressed by Ford since they don't recommend you power shift the car anyway. It's all lop sided and biased though because not everyone that has one of these is posting about it on the Internet. On top of that, most that have no problems don't complain and its certainly rare for people to seek threads out to brag about things that work the way their supposed to.

Nice..look forward to more testing results on the CHE unit..

I'm going to look in to adding the CHE support which will help holding things in line and only $160. That's better than my car sitting at Ford again for a month waiting a transmission rebuild. I already did that once. Since then I replaced the shifter with an MGW and this support will surely help.

So the MGW didn't fix the 1-2 grind?

Archived