TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Any 2011 owners grinding on the 1-2 shift?

mhoglund

Just like the title says. Are any 2011 owners having trouble with grinding on the 1-2 shift? I have only had my 2011 for a few days and I have had this happen 2 times already. How long should I wait before I take it in to the dealership? The car has about 70 miles on it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I know, this has only happened to folks who shift from 1st to 2nd in the upper RPM range. It doesn't happed during normal driving

conditions. I have about 500 miles on mine and haven't had it happen once. You're obviously not letting the car get a chance to break-in since

you're experiencing this at 70 miles. Drive it normal for the first 500 miles, let the parts break-in, then hammer on it. Going past 4500 RPM

probably isn't a good idea in a brand new car.

Just like the title says. Are any 2011 owners having trouble with grinding on the 1-2 shift? I have only had my 2011 for a few days and I have had this happen 2 times already. How long should I wait before I take it in to the dealership? The car has about 70 miles on it.

I have a 2011 with 2600 miles on it. I have the 1-2 grind issue plus I am starting to hear a moaning coming from the rear end at low speeds turning and when I let off the gas driving in 5th or 6th gear and step back on the gas I get a little shimmy and a "clunk" when getting back on the gas....especially at normal driving. Any other issues for anyone else?

As far as I know, this has only happened to folks who shift from 1st to 2nd in the upper RPM range. It doesn't happed during normal driving

conditions. I have about 500 miles on mine and haven't had it happen once. You're obviously not letting the car get a chance to break-in since

you're experiencing this at 70 miles. Drive it normal for the first 500 miles, let the parts break-in, then hammer on it. Going past 4500 RPM

probably isn't a good idea in a brand new car.

The 1-2 grind for me, is during normal driving. 1st and 2nd are very tight.

I've had this happen to me 3 times during my first 1500 miles on the car and I didn't WOT until after 800 or so miles.

After reading a post on these forums I corrected my shift to second by "pulling it toward my hip" and ensuring the clutch was fully depressed and I haven't had the grind happen since and I've been doing multiple WOT shifts every day I drive her.

As others have said you shouldn't be shifting the car at 6000 RPMs with only 70 miles on it. I can't say for sure whether the miles or my technique adjustment corrected the problem for me but I'm glad I'm not experiencing it.

David - The White stripe delete looks very cool. Congratulations!

I'm confident that you're breaking your car in for a while before you get on it hard. Take it or leave it, but if I just picked up a new 11' this weekend, I'd get a WOTbox and an MGW shifter before I ever ran it through the gears near wide open throttle.

Good luck with the car.

Been babying her since day 1. Just shifting before 3000 rpms and taking it easy to get up to highway speeds. I don't plan on modding her at all till warranty wears out or till I get bored enough. Someone was telling me to look towards the SS package if it is still available in a year or so.

Thanks,

David

I wonder what the problem is with the 1-2 shift with these cars. The 07-09 owners never had that type of problem......we just had to deal with the flywheel issue.

Just so you know, you guys don't have to "granny drive" your car for the break in period. I heard from many respected sources that you need to have the super charger build up boost in an effort to help seat the piston rings during the break in period. Hell, when I picked up my car from the dealership, I went sideways down the road !

Been driving it like that ever since.

I wonder what the problem is with the 1-2 shift with these cars. The 07-09 owners never had that type of problem......we just had to deal with the flywheel issue.

Just so you know, you guys don't have to "granny drive" your car for the break in period. I heard from many respected sources that you need to have the super charger build up boost in an effort to help seat the piston rings during the break in period. Hell, when I picked up my car from the dealership, I went sideways down the road !

Been driving it like that ever since.

Yeah, I also heard the engine is broken in at the factory. That is why you can use Full synthetic oil right away otherwise it would never break in.

I just went by what the owners manual said and then started driving it...at least until the grind started happening a few hundred miles ago.

Yes. But only when getting on it. I'm talking breaking the tires loose getting on it. LIke I said earlier, I thought it might be me. It's not. But you do have to stick it in second with authority. It only happens when really bearing down on the car hard. It's there. But, to a certain extent, you just have to really pull it into second hard. Meaning, you have to give it more concentration and muscle than you normally would expect. It's annoying, but not that big of a deal frankly. At least not yet.

I drove The Seeker's car at the Texas Mile and basically beat the crap out of the car.

Zero issues with the transmission. Zero issues with gear grind.

If at first you don't succeed, grab another and hammer it!!!

No grind here either, and like Van, I drive it like I stole it

-HAWKBARR

Since my car has less than 100 miles on it I'm considering changing the shifter to the MGW shifter. Will it void the warrenty if I change it? I figure if I change it and there is still a grind issue, atleast the shifter would be eliminated as being the problem.

Mine has 1200 plus on it and it grinds as well. Dealer said to bring it in when I have a chance and the mechanic who works on these and I would go for a spin. Didn't GM tell Tremec to put carbon fiber syncrho's in their tranny for the Vette as they were having the same issue? Someone please advise

Same issue. Had my first 1-2 grind in my 11' today. Somebody at Ford needs to be assigned to fix this! I know how to drive and have had many supercars including a Ford GT. No grind. Period! There is a definately an issue here.

Regards, denohew

I took a 2011 GT500 with the SVT option for a test drive today, this was my 2nd test drive of a GT500. It was just as I hoped and expected from the music of the warbling V8 to the steering feel and brakes. The car was started and driven from cold without letting it warm up but the shifting was predictable with a nice mechanical click, requiring minimal effort and thought.

I had been planning on ordering a 2012 with the SVT package as the only option. Unfortunately this is complicated by a negative experience 2 weeks before during my first ever test drive of a 2011 GT500. On this first test drive the car was left at idle for 10 minutes charging the battery before I drove it so the oil was warm which I assume would have given the gearbox time to warm up. The shifting was horrible like trying to move through a box of marbles with very little indication that each shift would result in positive engagement. It was bad enough that I was re considering the purchase of a GT500 and took the 2nd test drive to see if it was my shifting or the particular car I drove.

Both cars had minimal mileage, 35 on the first and 47 on the 2nd and neither car was beat on by me out of respect for their eventual owners with all shifts around 3000 RPM or under. Before starting each test drive I adjusted the seating so I was comfortable and able to fully depress the clutch pedal. The 2nd car I would love to own while the first car I drove would have been a pain to own and drive.

It seems strange that a new $50,000 car should have these problems, especially one which has been in production for a few years with the same gearbox.

Archived