TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop, removing rivets...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, I'm having fun with it and my skills and strategy are really getting good.  I'm to the point now where I'm really having fun and each piece is getting me closer to the end.  I've called a couple shops to paint the hood scoop... not having much luck.  One shop said they don't paint customer supplied parts and the next shop said they'd do it if they weren't already backlogged.  I'm tempted to rattle can it in the short term and get it to a shop later.

Here's a video showing the new LED 3rd brake light and the car finished from the windshield back.  I don't plan on replacing the side stripes but I won't rule it out.  All that's left now is the front bumper and then just to put the grill, scoop, and washer nozzles on.  

Will not paint a customer supplied part? That is an odd stipulation. Isn’t a vehicle and everything attached to it a ‘customer supplied’ part?

Painting it gloss black yourself with the 2K aerosols I posted earlier and adding the matte vinyl would not be difficult. Although you may want to wait until it warms up unless you have a heated garage. 

Impressive that you were able to lay the hood stripes straight as a diy. I had my hood stripes redone three time when the scoop was replaced because the 1st ‘Pro’ the dealer highered couldn’t figure out why the stripes kept moving together as he worked towards the front on the hood.

Really does look terrific!

2 hours ago, EL SHELBY said:

Will not paint a customer supplied part? That is an odd stipulation. Isn’t a vehicle and everything attached to it a ‘customer supplied’ part?

Painting it gloss black yourself with the 2K aerosols I posted earlier and adding the matte vinyl would not be difficult. Although you may want to wait until it warms up unless you have a heated garage. 

Impressive that you were able to lay the hood stripes straight as a diy. I had my hood stripes redone three time when the scoop was replaced because the 1st ‘Pro’ the dealer highered couldn’t figure out why the stripes kept moving together as he worked towards the front on the hood.

Really does look terrific!

After doing the trunk I figured that the roof and hood would be easier since they are single large pieces, but those areas are definitely a challenge.  I was wrong about that and glad I worked thru some kinks and the learning curve at the rear.  As body parts curve, there comes a point where the sheet just won't lay flat.  I anticipated this with the hood.  I decided to apply the stripes as a pair in a single sheet (rather than 1 by 1 as I did in some parts of the trunk and rear bumper), and I also cut some notches (I don't have a picture of my final mocking/setup) into the contact paper right down the center in a few areas, which allowed me to watch for stripe convergence and kept everything centered... when I went to the application phase, I got the sheet lined up with all my tape markers and decided to start with the middle and work it smooth from the center and work out the ripples going both up and down.  Starting at one end and working hard to the other end can result in a surprise at an end...

The easiest way to fix vinyl that won't lay flat is to allow it to curves... i.e.cut the middle of the contact paper on an end to allow the stripes to converge, which is what the sheet REALLY wants to have happen as body part get smaller due to curves.  You installer probably did just that.  I actually DID allow the convergence both at the front of the hood and back of the roof, but the convergence was minimized and I'm glad it isn't obvious, even with you kinda looking for it!  I bet the gap between the stripes is 1/8" less at my convergence areas, but it is an 1/8" spread gradually and evenly over a 1-foot span so it's not really perceptible.  My garage is just 50-60F in the winter and I'm guessing if the vinyl were installed at temps of 80-90F it would be possible to work it a little more.  I do use a hair dryer during application smoothing especially for wrapped areas like the edges of the hood, but also use gentle heat a bit during application and smoothing...

Looks assume! Matte strips might be my next project. Thanks for your posts.

Spray bomb works, did my scoop gloss black (+clear).

I have side-stripe art that I created few years ago if you want matte side stripes. I'd be happy to supply them if that's something you want to do?.

3 hours ago, BlackSGT said:

Looks assume! Matte strips might be my next project. Thanks for your posts.

Spray bomb works, did my scoop gloss black (+clear).

I have side-stripe art that I created few years ago if you want matte side stripes. I'd be happy to supply them if that's something you want to do?.

I'll have to research the spray bomb.. I've never heard of that.  I've been doing some research on rattle can paints and appropriate prep and I think I will go down that road.  Now I just need to find the right product and educate myself on how to prep it nicely. I guess I'll also need a gloss black strip of vinyl to apply down the middle of it when done painting...

So.... side stripe art?  I'm liking the look as it is, but I'm intrigued... it would be great if you could share that.

I've been real busy lately but have had a little time to move this project forward.  I completed the front bumper today.  I thought it was going to be easy given everything else I've done but it was as equally challenging as the rest of the car.  My seam is perfect and undetectable and I really got that technique down but the front bumper took me almost 2 hours.... ugh... I'm slow but I'm doing good work.

I've made a few decisions about what's left to do:

- I decided to replace the side rocker stripes after all.  I've been extremely impressed with the AM vinyl (and quantity supplied) so I'm going with the same matte black on the rockers.  This is coming in the mail in a day or two and I hope to get one if not both sides done this weekend.  I won't miss the "shelby gt" on the front rocker stripe as I was never wild about that in the first place.

- I decided to put a 3.5" domed berg snake on the matte black billet faux gas cap.  That is coming in the mail as well and will have no words, just the snake.

- I decided to keep my rubber G1 hood scoop.  I have a slight warping issue but since all colors are black it doesn't stand out all that much.  Plus, I prior to installing I plan line the bottom of the scoop with a 1/8" thick neoprene strip.  That is a compressible material (used as weatherstripping) and I plan to use it and variable torque on the bolts of the scoop to just float the whole scoop 1/16" or so above the hood evenly.. hopefully that will work.  I have called 3 body shops and they are all very backlogged due to a hail storm last summer so I am going to try painting the scoop matte black myself.  If it doesn't come out satisfactorily, I'll book and appt with a body shop for July and take care of it then.

Here's a few more pics:

This first pic shows how much extra vinyl I have left over... it's long enough to do the whole roof over if I had to.  I did screw up an 8" section so I would have had even a little more than this, and my car has a tail too and I went bumper-to-bumper, so the kit has more than enough material for anyone, even if a couple mistakes are made:

rPfX6m6.jpg

A close up of the front end together..... sad about that thick clear-coat where the original stripes were... the original owner must have shot the drivers side of the hood with clear coat, etc for some reason... I never knew it since it ran right up against the old stripe.

DsAw6JN.jpg

The whole front and top of the car... just needs the scoop done!

1dd3lQP.jpg

Figured I'd see just how ugly the silver scoop would look bolted on.. yuck.

njueann.jpg

Moving on to the scoop, it looks like the folks at Shelby didn't both letting the paint fully cure before putting on the black vinyl strip... I'm getting that sanded nicely and will paint it this weekend..

lwiKWIv.jpg

It still needs the hood scoop, rear emblem, and matte rocker stripes, but I took it out and drove it for the first time in a month or two so grabbed a few pictures in the wild...

Oh yeah... realized today that my shift knob no longer matches the paint job on the car.. .ha..

r0IpPOM.jpg

nQFtAKV.jpg

0e0CwJn.jpg

HiwgmoC.jpg

Whew... 99% done now... today I finished the side stripes and the scoop.  The only remaining update detail is the faux gas cap berg snake, which is coming in the mail.  

First couple pictures show the side stripes but note that the hood scoop isn't on yet.. I just finished that tonight.  The matte rocker stripes are hard to see in certain light...

8SIrcBO.jpg

VB199aP.jpg

And the scoop...

PmhkBcS.jpg

9i8Mtn9.jpg

As of 15 minutes ago, this project is DONE!!!  My custom-made domed emblem berg snake arrived yesterday.  It is a nice 1/8" thick emblem that is now on the billet fold-down faux gas cap.

I'll get outside and do a full video walk-around sometime soon and will make a nice imgur album of the refresh process, before and after, etc.

@andrewnagle1964  No mirrors yet... I looked those up and they look cool for sure.  This is it for this year but I'll keep those on my radar!

@BlackSGT This is the G1 rubber scoop and it is attached with just the 6 bolts underneath and the 2 rivet-screws.  The rest the rivets are just those little screws that look like rivets.  All stock scoop and fastening.

dv676PX.jpg

wPC6YUo.jpg

TSMubsQ.jpg

e16v49H.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have kept my car stock with the exception of a few reversible modifications. That being said l really like your car. If/when l need to replace the stripes l will go the same route.I think the black with black stripe is sharp. Nice job.

Archived