TEAM SHELBY FORUM

HELP! '09 GT500KR or '11 GT500?

Whammer

I think its safe to say many of us went through the same analysis.

'011 GT500. Great car. Outstanding performance. Nice interior. Approximately 6000 produced per year and will be improved year after year with 6000 produced each and every year. Next years "012 GT500 will be a notch faster, slicker or whatever over the previous models and so on and so forth.

'08 to '09 GT500. Great car. Outstanding performance. Legendary model. Original list $84K approx. Some sold for as much as $120K until the economy tanked. It has special KR interior. Unique styling cues, upgraded performance and suspension and restricted KR specific parts available to only KR owners. 1600 KRs made. Period. Stop. Likely also the last pre title Shelby program ever. There will be no more KRs. Period. Stop.

Choice was easy for me.

Good luck.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you sell your car on your own the dealer should allow you a courtesy trade, What they do is "buy" your GT500 for the price the buyer is going to buy it for and "sell" it to him at the same price and give you the tax savings. They used to do it for me in Florida and if it gets the deal done they should do it.

The dealers always screw you both ends, its how they do it, they want your car for wholesale (they say they can buy them all day long at the auctions for that price) or they use the thing they are using with you and "shop" it around to their buyers. It really takes the fun out of buying a car. Its your passion but their business.

Peter

I love negotiating with dealers. It's a game and you have to go into it with no emotion. You're buying an object with money. It's a business transaction, nothing else. The object of the game is for him to get the most out of you, and for you to get the most out of him. It's a tug of war so to speak. The salesman has an edge going into the game. He has a car he has no emotional attachment to or any financial attachment to, and you're looking for one because you either need it, or want it.

I recently took a friend to buy a car. They told me what they wanted and I did all the negotiating. The salesman didn't have an edge at that point. With the economy behind me, I was able to win out over him. My friend was amazed. They were willing to spend $2k more than what I got it for. (we're talking a $20k daily driver here....not a Shelby) I was able to snag it below invoice.

I did the same when I traded in my '08 GT-500 for an '09 KR. I listened to the sales managers offer, and offered him $12k less. He had to get back to me 3 days later. He came down to my offer.

If you have cash in this economy, you're already way ahead of the game.

I love negotiating with dealers. It's a game and you have to go into it with no emotion. You're buying an object with money. It's a business transaction, nothing else. The object of the game is for him to get the most out of you, and for you to get the most out of him. It's a tug of war so to speak. The salesman has an edge going into the game. He has a car he has no emotional attachment to or any financial attachment to, and you're looking for one because you either need it, or want it.

I recently took a friend to buy a car. They told me what they wanted and I did all the negotiating. The salesman didn't have an edge at that point. With the economy behind me, I was able to win out over him. My friend was amazed. They were willing to spend $2k more than what I got it for. (we're talking a $20k daily driver here....not a Shelby) I was able to snag it below invoice.

I did the same when I traded in my '08 GT-500 for an '09 KR. I listened to the sales managers offer, and offered him $12k less. He had to get back to me 3 days later. He came down to my offer.

If you have cash in this economy, you're already way ahead of the game.

You're right on the money...so to speak.

The KR dealer is thinking they have me because I want the car, but I'm willing to walk away from it.

They told me that since winter is coming my car will be tough to move. I said- so will yours! You sell it to me and you make a profit NOW and in the spring you'll make another profit from the sale of my car. I'm not sure why I'm the only one who can see this?

Right now the KR is buried in an undergound garage with a car cover over, so obviously they know it's going to sit there for the winter.

Yeah, these dealers are unreal. My 08 also comes with 5 years of extended warranty coverage. It's funny how they tell you that adds resale value to your car yet they never want to give you anything for it when you go to trade it in.

They will make money selling me the KR and they will make money selling my car, yet they try to screw you over all the time.

When I traded in the SGT for the KR, it too had a 5 year extended warranty. Others might know better, but in my case, I got the 5 yr extended warranty as part of the original purchase. Even though the extended warranty was in my name (or so I thought....), however the wording was, the dealership took the refund for the unused portion (2 years left on the warranty when I traded it in).

In either event, the way it sounded to me, the unused portion of the warranty does not follow the car. The remainder of the warranty was cashed out. Again, I don't know if that's how it is on all the extended warranties..but that's how it was on mine. Wonderful Sawgrass Ford (not), in Sunrise Florida took the refund, even after I moved to CA. The paperwork went to them from my dealership here in CA, to there, directly. Sawgrass ford said the warranty was purchased for me, but that it wasn't mine. Whatever.........

As far as your trade in....I too think you are getting murdered. I was given 25k USD for the 07 SGT with 4,800 miles on it. They sold it for 26.2k.

I think I posted this guys name before on this forum. I would highly recommend emailing/calling him. (google bayharbor ford for the number).

don.donelson@bayharborford.com

Don is president of the Florida Shelby club and loves shelbys. One thing he can do for you is look up what the 08 gt500 is actually selling for at auction. It pulls the curtain completely back. My dealership here , in CA, originally wanted to give m 19k for the SGT on trade in. Don looked it up, found two 07 SGT's that were good comps with mileage/condition/mods. Mine was 100% stock. I forget what the wholesale price was. But took that in and got the deal where I wanted. 56k USD for the KR, 25K USD for the SGT, 5 Mobil One oil changes, 2 key chains, and 2 Shelby bar stools. lol....hey....you do what you can.

The other KR that was at the dealership (silver) sold about 3 weeks ago. Salesman told me it sold for 54K out the door (including TT+L).

I think being educated on hard, real numbers, will help you take a lot of the emotional out. IMHO, they are trying to pull the wool over your eyes and know how much you want the car.

Go in, after getting things clear in your head of what you want. Say you numbers of purchase and trade in, and its only good for the day. I'm sure...you can get a better deal somewhere else.

One more tid bit of information that I think would help.

When dealing with the most/more expensive car on their showroom floor, make sure you deal with the sales manager. You'll avoid the "dog and pony show" you'll be going through if you were dealing with just a salesman. The sales manager is the only one who can negotiate a price with you. The salesman will be running back and forth between you and the sales manager. Get him out of the picture as soon as you step foot in the dealership.

I made a few calls last night to other dealerships and also stopped by a dealership to see find out pricing on my car. The one I stopped into see said that if I got 35k for my car I was doing very well and that I was probably getting absolute top dollar for my car. He told me one dealership was offering 30k for an 08 vert with 3k miles on it, so a coupe like mine would probably be around 26k. He told me I should just take the car down the road and for the 30k difference get the Super Snake package. There is an authorized Shelby dealer just outside my town that is directly authorized to do all the various Shelby upgrades.

The other dealership I called found 2 other KR's in the province for me. The GM I spoke with said he was not a gearhead and that he just sells cars so he was able to be very unemotional about them. The last KR they had he said they sold for 62k, he said the price they were asking for the one I was looking at was a bit on the high side, but not far off. He thought 30k was around what my car would be worth. He said the dealership that was giving me 35k trade in on their 2011 GT500 was giving me a good deal and that he would opt for the 2011. Again he said he's not a car guy but the 2011 makes the most sense "car wise", it's newer and a better performer.

And the Boss 302 is still in the mix. The dealer who is willing to give me 35k told me that they have been informed they will be getting at least one Boss 302 and I'm #1 on their list if I want the car. I'll get 35k for my trade and I think the Boss will probably be around 45k, so for 10k difference I can have the Boss 302 and there are only 350 of them coming into Canada, so that's pretty exclusive.

Forget the collectable speculation.........

Go for the Ultimate Super Snake!!!!!!!!!

The problem with them is they seem out of control. They have so much power and the rear wheels just can't handle it. It's no fun giving it a bit of gas and worrying if you're gonna go sideways down the road.

The Boss 302 is cool. I like it.

Problem again is Ford will make thousands. You will have the only Boss 302 on your block right now but by next year or the year after they will parked in every Walmart parking lot near you just like every other car.

My 2 cents.

I'm pretty sure this will be like the 08 Bullitt, which had a total run of 7700. The Boss is suppose to be a 2 year run with about 4000 built each year.

I know that only 350 will be coming to Canada.

I see your options have changed. I would go with the Boss.

They did the Mach 1 for 2 years......I can see them doing the Boss the same way. The numbers will be limited enough.

The Boss was always in the mix, but Ford has released so little info on the car it's tough to know if it's good fit. Not all dealers will be getting one and Ford released how they will allocate the car to dealers. I got to my dealer early to make sure I was #1 on their list if they were getting one, which they found out this week that they are.

It seems the car will be completely stripped of any options. There are no power seats, only a base radio (no Shaker and no Sirius), no security package, no Nav.

The only options will be Recaro seats and a Torsen Differential.

I can't see how anyone buying a Boss wouldn't want a security system? And while I'm not a big tech guy I certainly would like an upgraded sound system and Sirius.

If your dealer is only getting one and they know you want it so bad then save some money and get the KR. There really is not much difference in them all. King of the Road! And remember...

"Sometimes the true power of a machine is not measured in Horsepower"

The Boss was always in the mix, but Ford has released so little info on the car it's tough to know if it's good fit. Not all dealers will be getting one and Ford released how they will allocate the car to dealers. I got to my dealer early to make sure I was #1 on their list if they were getting one, which they found out this week that they are.

It seems the car will be completely stripped of any options. There are no power seats, only a base radio (no Shaker and no Sirius), no security package, no Nav.

The only options will be Recaro seats and a Torsen Differential.

I can't see how anyone buying a Boss wouldn't want a security system? And while I'm not a big tech guy I certainly would like an upgraded sound system and Sirius.

The problem with them is they seem out of control. They have so much power and the rear wheels just can't handle it. It's no fun giving it a bit of gas and worrying if you're gonna go sideways down the road.

But it's a fantastic sidways ride down the road. The power does take some getting use to, but once you get the feel it's a BLAST.

:yahoo::yahoo:

Hey! I like that!

The KR is the "Big Daddy" of all Shelby Mustangs eventhough it has the fugly v6 spoiler and some may be faster.

:happy feet:

I prefer the Ultimate Shelby Mustang that is faster and has a cool rear spoiler....... :happy feet:

The deal for the KR is dead. I told the dealer I needed to get 35k for my 08 and I would pay 60k for their car, they weren't interested in that deal.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs and advice.

I don't know that the deal is dead. Give it some time. It is a tough economy and their collective yawn at them saying not interested Is at least in part bs. They, as all dealerships, are hurting. You'll never hear them say it though.

Give it some time and don't call them. Just move on. Maybe they don't call. But maybe they do

Did you contact that guy , don, that I put his info up?

The deal for the KR is dead. I told the dealer I needed to get 35k for my 08 and I would pay 60k for their car, they weren't interested in that deal.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs and advice.

I got a better deal than that a year ago. Move on to a different dealer and you'll score a KR.

I got a better deal than that a year ago. Move on to a different dealer and you'll score a KR.

The problem is there just aren't many KR's here in Canada. I had one dealer do a search and he shows 3 dealers in Canada that still have KR's. One is on the other side of the country from me and they are asking 72k. The other 2 dealers are 2 hours from me, one is asking 85k and I haven't heard back from the other one.

Archived