TEAM SHELBY FORUM

HELP! '09 GT500KR or '11 GT500?

Whammer

Guys, my head is spinning. Currently I have an '08 GT500 and I was looking at possibly trading in on an '11 GT500 with SVTPP, Nav, and glass roof. Price here in Canada is 62.5k. I've been sitting on the fence wondering if I should get it and then an '09 GT500KR with only 70 miles, that's right SEVEN ZERO miles on it, pops up on my radar. The price is the same 62.5k.

The KR is equipped the same as my GT500, the only option being the Shaker 1000, but obviously it's a KR.

Can anyone offer me some insights that might make my choice easier?

I'm posting this over on the 2011 GT500 forum as well.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KR is black with the black/grayish colored stripes.

In most respects the 2011 is more car for the money....glass roof, performance pack, and Nav. The KR was originally 90k here in Canada so getting it for a bit over 62k is a great price. There is certainly a real uniqueness factor to it.

While I want a certain level of performance I'm done with chasing top level performance. Every year the cars are better than the previous models and so I've decided to tap out on that never ending quest.

..Yup; you will get biased opinions here. Even though the new cars have features I like better than some on the KR, I wouldn't trade if someone offered a new '11 to me. The KR still looks better to me, and feels more exclusive. I haven't driven an '11 yet, but it's probably not a night/day difference. In the long run, I think I'll still be happier with the KR. BTW- I had my pick of red, silver and black.. The black one did it for me. :)

4880788885_401441aefd_z.jpg

KR is black with the black/grayish colored stripes.

In most respects the 2011 is more car for the money....glass roof, performance pack, and Nav. The KR was originally 90k here in Canada so getting it for a bit over 62k is a great price. There is certainly a real uniqueness factor to it.

While I want a certain level of performance I'm done with chasing top level performance. Every year the cars are better than the previous models and so I've decided to tap out on that never ending quest.

I would go with the KR. I agree with stop chasing the top performance issue. No need to chase the next best thing because it's already a KR.

Just my .02

You're gonna get biased opinions. Every KR owner will tell you to get the KR and every 2011 owner will tell you to get a 2011. Since your done chasing top level performance, I'd say get the KR. There will always be a better performing newer model. While the 2011 might have a nicer interior and might be a 1/10 or so quicker in the 1/4 mile, there's really not a night & day difference between both. I think most here will agree that the KR is a more unique and sexier looking machine. Plus (if important to you) the KR will always be worth more. :shades:

I realize there will be a bias to each groups opinion. I was hoping that some could move beyond the bias and maybe address the pluses and minuses to each car.

I know ultimately it's my choice but sometimes you can't see the forest for the tress and having some outside input might give me a perspective I've been unable to see.

I realize there will be a bias to each groups opinion. I was hoping that some could move beyond the bias and maybe address the pluses and minuses to each car.

I know ultimately it's my choice but sometimes you can't see the forest for the tress and having some outside input might give me a perspective I've been unable to see.

My advise to you is to drive both and see which one you prefer. They are both awesome machines, you can't go wrong with either. :beerchug:

Have you thought of just keeping your car? The 07-09 models are still badass. Camaro or Challenger still can't touch them. Some well chosen mods will really wake these cars up. :peelout: Once the modding begins, the playing field is even. A KR and/or a 2011 won't perform any better than your 08 with the same mods...just something to think about.

My whole life I think we all loved and wanted to drive a car that seperated us from the rest. To have people stare, give thumbs up, and have that feeling like nobody has this car, and this car is something special. If this is how you feel then there is no debate. Also in my opinion, in a short amount of time, Not 20 yrs! I think this car will be worth and wanted alot! And after 11 Mustangs with 3 being Shelby's knowing I have the KR it is something special. Good Luck!

IMG_1997.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

I was ready to order an '11 here in So. Cal. last May, but was getting tired of the lousy attitudes most of my local dealers had and was unsure where to purchase.

Stopped by Galpin Ford with my wife one Sunday, we were looking at some 2011's for an idea of final color choice before we pulled the trigger and ordered. My sweetie spots an '08KR in a side showroom, points her finger at it and says "wow, look at this one, what is this?". She then sees the $125K asking price and about feints. Now Galpin owns the car, the sales dude says, "we don't care if we sell the car or not, that is the price". I look at her and say, "you really like the KR's?". She answers she thinks it is the most beautiful Mustang she's ever seen. So I looked at their price... :hysterical3: and in June scored #09KR535 in Gilbert, AZ for a nice fair price just under $60K.

Now I was originally sold, for the most part, on getting an "11. Great car. The aluminum block had me worried a bit. I owned dirt bikes for years, and have had past experience with liner-less cylinders with coatings. Works great until you have major failure in the cylinder area, scoring, whatever it might be. On the bikes at that time, it instantly meant total replacement of the part. I was wondering what might happen to the hapless '11 GT500 owner that had bad luck. Not sure the alloy block could be repaired (bored), so "if" that liner coating was injured in any way I might end up with a non-numbers matching GT500. And that would suck.

During my research on the KR's, I came to realize what a really special Mustang it is, depending on what flips your switch. I wasn't going to be modding our 500, so the thought that the KR had some rather unique parts appealed to me.

The Hood. Man, if you love induction systems, shakers, cowl inductions, then EVERY time you open this bay, you will fall in love with it a little bit more. Light, carbon-fiber, rare, expensive yes, but stunning. And the quality blows away what the Snakes or GT500's get. Working cold air induction, only carbon-fiber hood ever put on a Ford muscle car from the manufacturer.

I also liked the concept that the manufacturer of record for the GT500's is Ford, but I believe in the case of our KR's, it is SAI. Small thing, but it appealed to my "historical" side. Having that SAI aluminum stamp on the radiator support makes up for an aluminum block long term as an owner for me personally.

KR sounds awesome, has some cool FFRP goodies on it, and is a rush to drive. We're long term owners, so market price has little meaning to us over the next several years (or decades Lord willing). Couldn't care less what peeps think of the "KR values", we love this KR so much. In fact, we just purchased a complete set of 4 original KR rims/tires to have in storage.

The KR is looking like a strong candidate for the last pre-title Shelby offered. Might be a very unique aspect of this car in the future.

The KR has stronger retro styling, with much smaller cleaner rear end lines. For me, that was a plus.

So having been in your position, I chose the KR. I have never ever regretted it a moment, not even at the show we made it to this summer. It is an awesome GT500 and trust me, with a KR you can hold your head up. Most of the peeps that bag on the KR don't have a friggin' clue what makes it special to it's owners.

If you have to have the latest technology, go with the '11. If you are going to daily drive the car, go '11. It's a beauty.

But... if you ever looked at an old Shelby years ago and already loved the cars for their historical significance, after they had gone off the radar, before muscle car prices started to rise, and just said to yourself, "Man I wish I could have gotten my hands on one of those cars while they were being sold new. I would have kept her forever and cherished that car like there was no tomorrow", then absolutely buy and love a KR.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Mark

post-29099-018008900 1288118268_thumb.jpg

post-29099-018008900 1288118268_thumb.jpg

The KR has the previous styling. thats it, case closed. Go for the KR

Every time I look at my car it gives me goose bumps (a lowly 07 GT500) At my age looking at a KR up close would require me to have diapers. Being a former dealer I would offer 55k and let them work you up on the price of the KR, the 2011 is too knew to be fighting the dealer for a deal but i do hear they are having some troubles moving them in the states.

Peter

GT500ViKing

+1

Very well said on all counts. It depends on what you want. A piece of history, or the latest in gadgets. Both are loaded with style. But to me, one has more style. And one has more of a grab on history.

I originally was also shopping for the GT500 here in Riverside, CA. And as sad as I was to see the interior styling (seats were stitched very cool) and electronic gadgets go on the 2011 GT500 they had on the lot, I still look at the KR in my garage, not believing its there. I never regretted that purchase. I just wish I could have kept the white SGT I had to trade in for it. That was a sweet looking car, too.

GT500Viking hit the nail on the head.

The KR is truly the "King of the Road"

What other late model Shelby offering has parts that are "exclusive" to it's ownership? I can't think of any. That itself speaks volumes.

Well I've hit a bit of a roadblock....The KR is selling for 62.5k (as is the '011) but the dealer has offered me 25k for my '08 GT500 with under 6k miles. The other dealer selling the '011 has offered me 35k for my car.

I'm fairly sure that each dealer would list my car for 42k and probably sell it for 40k (this is all Canadian dollars).

Actually the KR dealer is 'shopping' my car to wholesale dealers and 25k is the best dollar he's been offered.

I ain't the brightest guy in the world but I know I'm being ripped off big time in this deal.

Well I've hit a bit of a roadblock....The KR is selling for 62.5k (as is the '011) but the dealer has offered me 25k for my '08 GT500 with under 6k miles. The other dealer selling the '011 has offered me 35k for my car.

I'm fairly sure that each dealer would list my car for 42k and probably sell it for 40k (this is all Canadian dollars).

Actually the KR dealer is 'shopping' my car to wholesale dealers and 25k is the best dollar he's been offered.

I ain't the brightest guy in the world but I know I'm being ripped off big time in this deal.

$25K for a trade in? Yes, you're getting murdered.

Sent you a PM

Yeah, these dealers are unreal. My 08 also comes with 5 years of extended warranty coverage. It's funny how they tell you that adds resale value to your car yet they never want to give you anything for it when you go to trade it in.

They will make money selling me the KR and they will make money selling my car, yet they try to screw you over all the time.

Whammer I am only 1.5 hours east of you in Burlington Ontario. I had on 08 GT500 that I traded in for my Black 09 KR. Great move. the KR is 10 times the car of the 08 GT 500. You will not be dissapointed!!

As for the price and trade in value i can tell you that the cost of these cars in Canada were around $ 82,000 to the dealer. They did sell for up to $105,000 when they first came out. I know this because a friend of mine bought one and paid that much. So the dealer is discounting the car by $20,000 +/-. They play with the numbers. The real calculation is the net difference between the two. That is what counts.

In your case with both cars being a year older now the trade in value will be slightly lower than mine. I had just over 4100ks on my mine and some work done to it. But all in all the deal is between $5000-$10000 off the mark for the net difference. The dealer could be holding out because there are few cars left to be had in Canada. One question is the 62k, is that all in including all taxes, PDI, freight, air tax, etc??? That will make a substantial difference to my calculations

Good luck!!

Hey Whammer,

I sure hope it all works out for you and I'm sure you'll enjoy either car (I personally prefer the KR). I just had a couple of thoughts for you, though:

1) If you're not getting a "reasonable" trade in offer, you may want to sell your existing car yourself, but that will take some time (2 to 4 weeks probably) and you should net more than what the trade in value is even after you factor in the tax savings on the new vehicle due to the trade. But its a hassle to sell it yourself.

2) You might also want to add the GT350 and Boss 302 to your list of cars to consider. I still prefer the 08/09 KR, but I would put a GT350 and a Boss 302 on my list in front of an 11 GT500 (but, again, that's just me and they're all really nice). I just think that the KR and the GT350 are a little more "unique" (and the Boss is not a Shelby).

3) I'm sure you know this but don't feel too rushed on the decision as there are a few KRs out there and if you get emotionally committed to one or the other then its harder to make an unbiased decision (and somehow the dealer can smell it).

Good luck with it and keep us posted on where you end up.

Hey Whammer,

I sure hope it all works out for you and I'm sure you'll enjoy either car (I personally prefer the KR). I just had a couple of thoughts for you, though:

1) If you're not getting a "reasonable" trade in offer, you may want to sell your existing car yourself, but that will take some time (2 to 4 weeks probably) and you should net more than what the trade in value is even after you factor in the tax savings on the new vehicle due to the trade. But its a hassle to sell it yourself.

2) You might also want to add the GT350 and Boss 302 to your list of cars to consider. I still prefer the 08/09 KR, but I would put a GT350 and a Boss 302 on my list in front of an 11 GT500 (but, again, that's just me and they're all really nice). I just think that the KR and the GT350 are a little more "unique" (and the Boss is not a Shelby).

3) I'm sure you know this but don't feel too rushed on the decision as there are a few KRs out there and if you get emotionally committed to one or the other then its harder to make an unbiased decision (and somehow the dealer can smell it).

Good luck with it and keep us posted on where you end up.

Thanks for your thoughts Paul, actually thanks to EVERYONE!

GT350 is over 90k here in Canada but at the moment it looks like they probably won't be allowed into the country- something to do with safety standards not meeting Canadian requirements.

I'm #1 on my dealer's list for getting a Boss 302 but from the little info out there (very little) I'm thinking the car is not really a fit for me.

It will handle and drive amazing but it seems more built for the track. There will be NO options offered on the Boss. No power seats, only a base radio (no Sirius, no Shaker). Totally bare bones.

Whammer I am only 1.5 hours east of you in Burlington Ontario. I had on 08 GT500 that I traded in for my Black 09 KR. Great move. the KR is 10 times the car of the 08 GT 500. You will not be dissapointed!!

As for the price and trade in value i can tell you that the cost of these cars in Canada were around $ 82,000 to the dealer. They did sell for up to $105,000 when they first came out. I know this because a friend of mine bought one and paid that much. So the dealer is discounting the car by $20,000 +/-. They play with the numbers. The real calculation is the net difference between the two. That is what counts.

In your case with both cars being a year older now the trade in value will be slightly lower than mine. I had just over 4100ks on my mine and some work done to it. But all in all the deal is between $5000-$10000 off the mark for the net difference. The dealer could be holding out because there are few cars left to be had in Canada. One question is the 62k, is that all in including all taxes, PDI, freight, air tax, etc??? That will make a substantial difference to my calculations

Good luck!!

62k is selling price. It's a US car and was bought in Florida. The story goes that the guy bought 2 KR's and then decided to buy a Vette and trade this into the dealer. Dealer put it up for auction and the dealership here bought it. So I'll I need to pay is taxes on the car. In the deal that I want, I'm looking at a 32k difference (taxes in).

Whammer the dealer usually charges for freight, air tax and gas tax on top of the HST. Now being a car that was bought in and brought up from the US I am not sure if those taxes need to be paid. That amount is 2600 plus HST alone. Does that have to be paid?

Archived