TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Changes I would like to see to the GT500

Cabinetman

I have only had my 2011 GT500 with the SVTPP for a few weeks. The car has proven to be a fun alternative to the Japanese and European sports cars/sedans I have owned in the last few years. However, there are somethings that I would like to see in the future for the top shelf Mustang.

First I'll start with the easy stuff that shouldn't really effect the MSRP of the car too much. The car needs more supportive seats. It appears that this will be addressed next year with a Recaro option. Next, I would like to see a real dead pedal. The foam under the carpet treatment is a bit lame. Also, where is our backup camera option? I know that you can get this on lesser Mustangs, but apparently it wasn't worth Ford's time to engineer a camera mount that works with the Shelby spoiler. Homelink is another item that is missing that I don't really understand why. Maybe this will also get addressed in 2012. Finally, I would really like a telescoping steering wheel. I'm 6'1", but with short arms for my height and it has been hard to find a decent compromise between pedal and steering wheel distances.

Now on to the two things that I would love to have, but would probably add $10k to the MSRP which might make the car a hard sell. The first is an IRS. I'm amazed at what Ford has done with the solid axle, but there will always be limitations compared to a good IRS setup. The second is a DCT transmission, preferable a trans-axle. I think the GT500 would be an abosolute beast with the 6 or 7 speed DCT trans-axle like is found in the Nissan GT-R (minus the transfer case to drive the front wheels). This transmission would shift more weight to the rear of the car and allow for rapid shifts that no human can match. Add in launch control and the car would be much easier to get quickly off the like. Of course the trans-axle would require IRS so it would be an all or nothing deal. The only downside I can see besides cost is the added weight of the DCT. However, the faster shift speeds seem to always more than make up for the added weight of the DCT transmission in other applications.

I hope my post isn't taken as bashing the Shelby. I'm actually very happy with the car. I'm just hoping that maybe Ford will ultimately transform their top pony car into a world class sports car. I guess only time will tell.

While I think some convience options would be great, others not so much. I prefer a vehicle that is in a bit more of a raw state as it requires a real driver, almost anybody can drive a computer which is in the competetors. However, there are still some issues that even a car in the raw shouldn't have. The GT500 is just a real beast and a blast to drive, I really can't think of a replacement for it.

While I think some convience options would be great, others not so much. I prefer a vehicle that is in a bit more of a raw state as it requires a real driver, almost anybody can drive a computer which is in the competetors. However, there are still some issues that even a car in the raw shouldn't have. The GT500 is just a real beast and a blast to drive, I really can't think of a replacement for it.

I completely understand your point. I guess the Mustang fills its niche well. I'm just more of a sports car guy going through a muscle car faze. AWD and rear engine cars spoiled me with how well they put power to the ground.

The GT500 is the car I enjoy driving the most at its price point. The Corvette driving experience disappointed me and I've already had an M3 and wanted something different. I'm sure next time around I will be back in a German car or possibly another GT-R, but for now I'm going to continue learning how to best put 510 ft/lbs of torque to the ground.

Maybe a few more factory options and some convience options. I like to use skill to drive fast. This isn't the type of car I'd buy if I wanted LC, IRS, AWD or an auto tranny.

500 lbs off.

This is what I would say as well. They did improve the weight for 2011 and it has made a big difference. With that said they should offer the GT500 with an aluminum hydroformed frame, tubular front K-member/ Up and Low control arms, aluminum flywheel, and aluminum driveshaft. Would make a huge difference! I would have gladly paid 10K more for this. I know it would put the GT500 in a different class of car than Ford is marketing towards but it would be awesome.

I would like to see more refinement. Some of my wishes would probably have major impacts on price, but I believe the GT500 should not just rest on 550 HP. It needs to be world class all around.

Have multiple suspension choices. Have an optional fully adjustable suspension with an independent rear. Also have an optional adjustable "drag pack" with a solid rear geared towards drag racing. I also think they should have a rear seat delete with a roll bar option.

Full length headers (at least equal length) instead of cast iron manifolds. At least a TVS. Bigger heat exchanger with fans.

Brakes should be 6 piston, drilled/slotted brakes on front and 4 piston, drilled/slotted on rear. I would like to see front cooling ducts and FUNCTIONAL rear scoops.

Some of the smaller issues I'd like to see are painted side skirts and rear valence and a better quality hood vent. Better shifter. Battery in the trunk. Better speakers!!!! I also think there should be a manual override for the top speed limiter without using a tuner. Oh, and push button start.

I know some of this is kind of silly, but if you are gonna wish...........

Now on to the two things that I would love to have, but would probably add $10k to the MSRP which might make the car a hard sell. The first is an IRS. I'm amazed at what Ford has done with the solid axle, but there will always be limitations compared to a good IRS setup. The second is a DCT transmission, preferable a trans-axle. I think the GT500 would be an abosolute beast with the 6 or 7 speed DCT trans-axle like is found in the Nissan GT-R (minus the transfer case to drive the front wheels). This transmission would shift more weight to the rear of the car and allow for rapid shifts that no human can match. Add in launch control and the car would be much easier to get quickly off the like. Of course the trans-axle would require IRS so it would be an all or nothing deal. The only downside I can see besides cost is the added weight of the DCT. However, the faster shift speeds seem to always more than make up for the added weight of the DCT transmission in other applications.

I would pass on both of these for the mustang. :shift:

Ther seems to be two types here. Ther one who want to shave 500lbs and the ones who want to add weight by adding conveniece items. The Shelby has very limited options vs. the other Mustang models. How about opening the door to do more deletes or adds as the purchaser wants.

Those are good ideas, but the weight would be an issue, the new 2011s with SVT package are pulling 1g on the skid pad, that's more than Nissan GT-R's 0.93g. They have done it some how, IRS would add another 70-100 pounds and couple of $k to the car and DCT adds another 100 pounds, here couple of things I would like to see,

Magnetic ride suspension, watts link, torque arm, double wish bone front suspension, 7000 rpm red line, one piece aluminum drive shaft, dual fan inter cooler, 335 rear tires, 15.5" slotted rotors, and most improtant of all more aggressive gear ratios, good 6 performance gears just like the one in corvette ZR1. Ford makes those changes I would get one in a heart beat.

Those are good ideas, but the weight would be an issue, the new 2011s with SVT package are pulling 1g on the skid pad, that's more than Nissan GT-R's 0.93g. They have done it some how, IRS would add another 70-100 pounds and couple of $k to the car and DCT adds another 100 pounds, here couple of things I would like to see,

I would think they could add both without making the car too much heavier. The GT-R weighs about the same as the 2011 GT500 and had both IRS and DCT plus it is AWD. Granted at a price of $85k they are probably able to use a little more exotic materials, but the GT-R also come with things like push button start, dual full power seats, 6 piston front and 4 piston rear brakes with 15" rotors all around, forged 20" wheels at all four corners with heavy runflat tires and a cockpit adjustable suspension none of which the Shelby have. All these items add weight and cost

I'm not trying to spin this into a GT-R vs Shelby thread. I did love my Nissan and will probably get a 2012 when they become available (530hp compared to the 485 my car had), but I respect the Shelby for what it is. That being the finest example of an American muscle car currently available.

I would think they could add both without making the car too much heavier. The GT-R weighs about the same as the 2011 GT500 and had both IRS and DCT plus it is AWD. Granted at a price of $85k they are probably able to use a little more exotic materials, but the GT-R also come with things like push button start, dual full power seats, 6 piston front and 4 piston rear brakes with 15" rotors all around, forged 20" wheels at all four corners with heavy runflat tires and a cockpit adjustable suspension none of which the Shelby have. All these items add weight and cost

I'm not trying to spin this into a GT-R vs Shelby thread. I did love my Nissan and will probably get a 2012 when they become available (530hp compared to the 485 my car had), but I respect the Shelby for what it is. That being the finest example of an American muscle car currently available.

It's also a two seater car and I'm pretty sure it's exempt from crash test ratings just like the Corvette. The Mustang is required to undergo crash tests rating and it's able to pass these with 5 stars. This also adds to the weight of the vehicle.

There is no way they are making any money on the GT-R, if they are, the margins are really tight. Both are great cars, just two completely different markets.

.................I'm just hoping that maybe Ford will ultimately transform their top pony car into a world class sports car. I guess only time will tell.

I enjoy reading what others would change and/or ask for. You hit the nail on the head, but not in the way you meant it. The Mustang IS a pony car.....was never meant to be a sports car.

Yes, but GT-R's engine is 3.8L v6 TT compared to the 5.4L v8 supercharged and with bigger engine everything else has to be bigger too. Even if you add 2 cylinders to the GT-R and make 8 it would still be lighter and smaller than the 5.4 V8 in the GT500. GT-R also doesn't have iron headers, those 15" rotors have aluminum hat which makes them much lighter, also a carbon fiber drive shaft. DCT and trans axle has to be beefier and bigger than the GT-R's to be able to handle torque at low rpm that supercharger makes, and bigger means more meat. Not trying to bash the GT-R if there is any GT-R fan reading. Anyway, I doubt Ford even cares enough to make any changes, their contract with Shelby is going be over in the near future and without the Shelby badge I don't think there will be enough people including me that would pay more than $40k for a Mustang.

I agree it'd be awesome if they would be able to drop 500 pounds off the car..but I don't see that happening for a long while. It would be scary what a stock car would be like with the weigh loss. Other than that...I'd only like a true high end "audiophile" type stereo in this car.

I'd like to see a couple of options:

Engine:

5.4L 550hp Supercharged (standard)

6.2L 550hp NA (optional) - i think that's the larger V8 for Ford

Dual fan heat exchanger

Weight:

Drop around 500lbs - Have the car weigh no more than 3500lbs

Interior:

Homelink would be nice (option with nav)

Heated Seats (standard)

Back-up camera (option with nav)

Suspension:

How about no more wheelhop. (standard)

1 piece aluminum driveshaft (standard)

Adjustable shock and struts as an option (with Performance Package)

Drivetrain:

3.55, 3.73, or 4.10 option

It's also a two seater car and I'm pretty sure it's exempt from crash test ratings just like the Corvette. The Mustang is required to undergo crash tests rating and it's able to pass these with 5 stars. This also adds to the weight of the vehicle.

There is no way they are making any money on the GT-R, if they are, the margins are really tight. Both are great cars, just two completely different markets.

The GT-R has rear seats and has to pass all the same crash standards that every new car sold in the US has to pass including Corvettes.

I'd like to see Aluminum Driveshaft come standard....I see no reason for them having that giant iron piece of crap in a performance car.

I'd also like to see a better optional brake package to go with the larger tires on the SVT Package.

I don't care for heated seats or any other luxury stuff, but wouldn't care if it was an option, nice optional Recaros would be fun.

Crap the GT-R was backseats. Brain fart there.

Then why aren't the results published for these cars? :(

I'm not sure why there are no results out there. I have always been under the impression that all new cars sold in the US have to meet certain safety standards. Maybe low volume cars just have to show they meet minimum specs without actually being crash tested. I do know that GT-Rs sold in Europe have a ram system to raise the hood in front impacts to meet EU pedestrian safety regs. I also know that the GT-R I had came with a full complement of airbags and felt very solid.

Here is one thing I would not want to see, "No more power" until Ford figures out the lack of traction and, even more important, consistent 1-2 shift trannys. It is becoming painfully obvious and a slap in Fords face from their premier muscle car.

Don't get me wrong, I love my '10 GT500 and I have no intention of getting rid of it, but I wish I was reading these threads from the earlier models first.

Ford needs to make fixes before any more "Improvements" are made...And that means getting on the engineer's and Tremec's ARSE to get it done!!!

I'd like to see Aluminum Driveshaft come standard....I see no reason for them having that giant iron piece of crap in a performance car.

I'd also like to see a better optional brake package to go with the larger tires on the SVT Package.

I don't care for heated seats or any other luxury stuff, but wouldn't care if it was an option, nice optional Recaros would be fun.

+1

* Traction/Appearance ~ 315 sized tires in rear

* Convenience ~ As was mentioned Homelink would be nice

* Appearance ~ Integrate radio antenna into rear glass or in with Sat. radio on trunk

Archived