TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 Challenger SRT8 About Time!

bpmurr

Chrysler is finally getting around to launching the 2011 SRT8. Still down on power and up on weight. However, it looks pretty awesome.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/25/2011-dodge-challenger-srt8-392-is-the-creme-de-la-chrysler/

I'm giving it a serious look if I sell the GT500.

Since we have a post about the Z28 in here we might as well have the Challenger covered.

That blue with white stripes is freakin' sweet as can be. The challengers are definitely my second favorite car out there now - behind the Mustangs. But honestly, the gap is closing. Just like the way Ford hit all the right points with the 2010+ mustang, They are doing the same with the Challenger. Tremendous car.

That blue with white stripes is freakin' sweet as can be. The challengers are definitely my second favorite car out there now - behind the Mustangs. But honestly, the gap is closing. Just like the way Ford hit all the right points with the 2010+ mustang, They are doing the same with the Challenger. Tremendous car.

I really do like that blue and white combo. I wonder if that's the actual blue color or a photoshop special.

I really do like that blue and white combo. I wonder if that's the actual blue color or a photoshop special.

I know you mentioned the challenger is still down on power...but you would think that huge 6.4 liter motor has tons of power waiting to be released. I don't know much about other engines besides my own, but I'm assuming that the challengers' would benefit from a tune and I don't know if they make superchargers for them?

If I happen to see one of the blue/white 2011's around...I might have to take a test drive just for fun.

I test drove an SRT8 and several R/T's, all 6 speeds. There an okay car but the inside is very ugly and going from a GT500 into one of these cars you really feel the extra weight and lack of power (in comparison). I love the look of them but after driving them I wasn't so thrilled with the car.

I test drove an SRT8 and several R/T's, all 6 speeds. There an okay car but the inside is very ugly and going from a GT500 into one of these cars you really feel the extra weight and lack of power (in comparison). I love the look of them but after driving them I wasn't so thrilled with the car.

That seems to be the feeling of most mustang owners and such. Still...I will probably check one out at some point. I saw a few pics of the interior and thought it was fine.

I'm not sure I like MDS on a muscle car. I know they wanted to hit a certain fuel economy number but cylinder deactivation is not the way to go. The first thing I would do is buy a tuner and shut it off. I bought 392 cubic inches....I want to use them all!

That seems to be the feeling of most mustang owners and such. Still...I will probably check one out at some point. I saw a few pics of the interior and thought it was fine.

The interior is huge compared to the mustang and it just seems clunky. The dash and air bag cover on the passenger is like a black stone wall.

It's okay but they could've done a much nicer job on it.

cant really agree with you....they are heavier & of course "slower" than a GT500, but I love the interior(especially the seats!!) in my '09 SRT8 as much or more than my '07 SGT, and the ride/comfort/handling is amazing. No, it cant be thrown around as quick & easy as a stang, but its still a blast to drive :happy feet:

post-25069-073714900 1288045983_thumb.jpg

post-25069-073714900 1288045983_thumb.jpg

cant really agree with you....they are heavier & of course "slower" than a GT500, but I love the interior(especially the seats!!) in my '09 SRT8 as much or more than my '07 SGT, and the ride/comfort/handling is amazing. No, it cant be thrown around as quick & easy as a stang, but its still a blast to drive :happy feet:

Not sure you can compare the SRT8 seats to a mustang GT's seats, it's not really apples to apples. Compare them to the GT500 seats and it's more apples to apples.

I own an SRT8 Superbee and a GT500 with the upgraded interior and drive both of them on a regular basis. I have to disagree on the interior of the Charger/Challenger. Its very comfortable, quiet and well built. Everything is in a good place and really functional. The GT500 is a nice car but their is quite a bit of road/tire noise heard inside the cabin. There is no contest that the GT500 is a better all out performer but with my heads and cam Superbee with 430/430 to the wheels it feels like a much faster car down low and in daily traffic which makes it a little more fun. The weight is definitely a killer of the Dodges though.

The 6.1L is really an outstanding engine but the engine and the transmission tuning from the factory is a joke for a performance sedan. I wish they would have stuck this engine in lighter platform and I think Dodge would be cleaning the drag strips once again like it was the 60's all over again.

Shane

Check out the SRT8 forums for the myriad of issues with tuning those 6.1 et al. I can only guess the 6.4 will be even harder to work with. I had a SRT8 Cherokee and while I loved the AWD launches, I hated everytime I had to take it to the dealer, which was very frequent. Plus everytime it was either "dealer could not reproduce fault" or the service shop trying to put warranty work back on the owner. Leaking water pump and thermostat gasket normal wear after 10k miles, come on.

There are probably 3-4 on one board that are modded but not tunable and up for sale. I had some many Gremlins and parts issues the day I traded it was such a relief. My wranglers have held up great but I don't care if they put jet engines in those things, never again will I own a Dodge or Chysler performance car.

If you put an air freshener in the cockpit your warranty is voided.

Check out the SRT8 forums for the myriad of issues with tuning those 6.1 et al. I can only guess the 6.4 will be even harder to work with. I had a SRT8 Cherokee and while I loved the AWD launches, I hated everytime I had to take it to the dealer, which was very frequent. Plus everytime it was either "dealer could not reproduce fault" or the service shop trying to put warranty work back on the owner. Leaking water pump and thermostat gasket normal wear after 10k miles, come on.

There are probably 3-4 on one board that are modded but not tunable and up for sale. I had some many Gremlins and parts issues the day I traded it was such a relief. My wranglers have held up great but I don't care if they put jet engines in those things, never again will I own a Dodge or Chysler performance car.

If you put an air freshener in the cockpit your warranty is voided.

I'm sure there are bad ownership experiences with just about any car. However, I really like the Challenger and almost bought one prior to getting my GT500.

I know you mentioned the challenger is still down on power...but you would think that huge 6.4 liter motor has tons of power waiting to be released. I don't know much about other engines besides my own, but I'm assuming that the challengers' would benefit from a tune and I don't know if they make superchargers for them?

If I happen to see one of the blue/white 2011's around...I might have to take a test drive just for fun.

2005-2010 CHRYSLER/DODGE 6.1L (SRT8) HEMI SYSTEMS

Power Torque

Stock 425 HP 420 lb/ft

Vortech 560 HP* 510 lb/ft*

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=146

For 6.1L (SRT8) vehicles. Chrysler 300C, Dodge Magnum, Charger and Challenger. Increases HP from 425 to 560*, torque from 420 to 510* at 7.5-8.5 PSI. All systems include V-3 (self-lubricated) supercharger.

6.4L?

For 6.1L (SRT8) vehicles. Chrysler 300C, Dodge Magnum, Charger and Challenger. Increases HP from 425 to 560*, torque from 420 to 510* at 7.5-8.5 PSI. All systems include V-3 (self-lubricated) supercharger.

6.4L?

It's what's stated in the article that is linked in the first post of the thread - check it out.

While no one has ever accused the Challenger SRT8 of being light on grunt, Chrysler engineers have taken things up a notch or two with a new 6.4-liter V8 that produces 470 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque, all while delivering 15-20 percent better fuel economy than the outgoing 6.1-liter V8 in the 2010 Challenger SRT8.

Archived