TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Supercharger question

I recently bought an 08 SGT with 2,200 miles. I think I want to put a supercharger on the car. I am looking at the Roush 135 HP type. There seams to be a sale on the 135 HP Roush SC's now.. I am 63 years old and do not plan to race the car however after test driving an '11 Mustang with it's 412 HP, I like that power. The 330 HP is a lot more than my old '01 Bulllitt but maybe not quite enough.

Cost is a factor. What are the pros and cons. How will the SC effect the gas mileage over the standard 330 HP SGT. Am I potentially hurting the engine on my car by doing this. I plan to have Ford do the installation. I was told by doing that then the warranty would still be OK.

Any comments would be appreciated.

I recently bought an 08 SGT with 2,200 miles. I think I want to put a supercharger on the car. I am looking at the Roush 135 HP type. There seams to be a sale on the 135 HP Roush SC's now.. I am 63 years old and do not plan to race the car however after test driving an '11 Mustang with it's 412 HP, I like that power. The 330 HP is a lot more than my old '01 Bulllitt but maybe not quite enough.

Cost is a factor. What are the pros and cons. How will the SC effect the gas mileage over the standard 330 HP SGT. Am I potentially hurting the engine on my car by doing this. I plan to have Ford do the installation. I was told by doing that then the warranty would still be OK.

I cant speak to the specifics of what effects the supercharger would have on you engine, since a supercharger is still on my "wish list" but I do not that I personally, would much rather have a Shelby GT with a supercharger, than an ordinary GT any day...unless of course you were thinking of getting the 2011 Shelby!!!

I recently bought an 08 SGT with 2,200 miles. I think I want to put a supercharger on the car. I am looking at the Roush 135 HP type. There seams to be a sale on the 135 HP Roush SC's now.. I am 63 years old and do not plan to race the car however after test driving an '11 Mustang with it's 412 HP, I like that power. The 330 HP is a lot more than my old '01 Bulllitt but maybe definitely not quite enough.

Cost is a factor. What are the pros and cons. How will the SC effect the gas mileage over the standard 330 HP SGT. Am I potentially hurting the engine on the enjoyment of my car by NOT doing this. I plan to have Ford do the installation. I was told by doing that then the warranty would still be OK.

Corrected for logic.

Just messing with ya :)

I just added the whipple HO... can't beleive I even thought the stock power was fun at one time lol... I don't think 135hp more would have made me happy though, I could already see having more and my kit is between 500 and 550 hp at the crank.

I would definitely look at the Whipple. You'll definitely unleash the beast with a Whipple. Once supercharged, these cars are very reliable if properly tuned. But, you can turn in into a paper weight if you 1) over-rev the engine by having the red line set too high 2) add too much boost to the supercharger and 3) run too lean on the air/fuel ratio. Keep everything in the safe zone and you're good to go.

Gas mileage won't change unless you're playing with the throttle too much.

From one ex-Bullitt owner to another- :salute:

Previous owner of 2001 #2343

The M90 Roushcharger is a very reliable unit, with the Roush warrantable tune you'll be very safe at 435hp flywheel HP. You can easily upgrade with a smaller pulley and tune for more power if you reconsider down the road. The Roushcharger is currently offered at a very attractive price, but not a very popular choice in the Shelby community. No worries as long as you stay out of the boost fuel mileage is not effected, also engine damage is unheard of with this setup and Roush tune.

Hope that answers your questions-

Here is the M90 unit I installed myself a few years back on my wife's Roush Stage1

I went with the JDM cold air intake and tune to add a few more pony's

P1010411.jpg

I have the whipple 550 hp s/c on my Shelby along with 410 gears and i don't think it is none to fast and i'm almost 59 years old.As i was passing a friend of mine in his camaro with 500 hp he noticed i was blowing black smoke out of the tail pipes. It seams i'm running a little rich which sounds good to me as i want this motor to last.I'm well pleased with the whipple. If you go with less h.p. then don't blame me when these new camaros and challengers pass you up.If you look fast then you might as well be fast. Good-Luck .

Archived