TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil change issue from dealer

mustanggt500

Okay have a question from those that have had this experience or know what best to do.

Had my second oil change at about 4500 miles. I'm at 5100 miles now and was out cleaning up my shop and noticed the oil tag says the date and such and noticed it said 5W20 on it. checked my first oil change tag and it said 5W50. both say synthetic. So then i start looking in detail and notice the first one they charged me for 7 quarts, so i check my oil just now and it looks about half a quart over the full line. So now I am starting to think they put 7 quarts in my car, for a second time if the first oil change tag is correct, and they used 5W20 for a 2010 mustang GT instead of 5W50 for a mustang GT500. Being Sunday night i cant call the dealer and have to STEW on this until tomorrow. Ironically my car did a force engine shutdown a couple days after i changed the oil. I took it in and told them the problem the SVT department wired the car in to the computer and couldn't find out why it did it. Could the oil have anything to do with the forced engine shutdown? DAMNIT.

Anyway, aside from going in and having them document the first oil change being too much oil. documenting the second being too much oil AND the wrong oil and demanding a new oil change, is there something else i should do or ask or ANYTHING to protect myself and my car?

Mind, yes i know, i point out each time that i go, that its 6.5 quarts of 5W50 and they each time have stated it comes from a dispenser and blahblah. But sticking with the issue and question at hand i would appreciate some input from those that have some.

Nic

PS, i thought i read a string in these forums about people having the same issue and having engines replaced and such?? anyone have a link to that thread?

Dealers aren't competent enough to change oil for the most part. You really need to do it yourself and only rely on a dealer when absolutely necessary. I've replaced my own parts under warranty on my dime before since the dealer is a worse option. Ford, in my opinion, has the worst dealer network and worst service departments bar none in the entire industry. Granted there are exceptions, I'm speaking of the norm.

I went out to my car the day after the dealer did an oil change and found a small puddle of oil under the car just behind the drivers side tire under the rocker panel. I called the dealer and had them come over to clean up the garage floor, underside of the car and check the filfer and drain plug for leaks. Luckily it was residual oil that dripped off. They handled the problem very well. But there should have been no problem in the first place.

Unfortunately it will NEVER be perfect unless you do it yourself (so I learned the last time I had the dealer do my oil and ended upwith the residual spill too). And don't let them tell you this oil is from a dispenser........they pop open each red bottle of this synthetic. I agree this type of stuff we should do ourself -- the only option is if you are lucky to find a tech who cares about your car as much as you do (thats a 1 in a million shot - and unfortunately my tech was tired of the dealership BS and went to another Ford dealership 30 miles away!) I'd call SVT and try to find someone that will be honest and tell you what the consequences of this oil in your car would be -- I wouldnt trust the Service Manager who is gonna give you a BS story and "a free oil change" to get you out of there. When I had one of my '01 Cobras with the engine tick, the Service Manager said "Oh yea, thats normal. All high perfomance engines tick. Just look at the Corvettes too" RAISE HELL !!

yeah, i think im going to have to just start doing this myself like i do on all my others. i was hoping that going through the services it would be better in the long run for the services that come along with things and all the new car warranties and such. guess will see what happens tomorrow. sad, such a simple task. change the oil.....boggle

Nic

yeah, i think im going to have to just start doing this myself like i do on all my others. i was hoping that going through the services it would be better in the long run for the services that come along with things and all the new car warranties and such. guess will see what happens tomorrow. sad, such a simple task. change the oil.....boggle

Nic

I'm in the same boat as you and feel the same way. I am more than capable of doing oil changes on my car but also had warranty concerns as well as the fact you have better resale value with full dealer service records.

It's not only the dealers.

After Dealer did my first oil change with 7 quarts I started doing my own

Now I have to start doing it on my daily driver, a Tacoma truck. I took it to Lube Express for an oil and filter change. I brought the truck home then checked the level, it was WAY above full. I checked it a few more times after the engine cooled down to verify what I was seeing was correct. I crawled under the truck and drained out 1 quart of oil. I checked it again and it was just a hair above the full line.

You would think that something as basic as an oil and filter change would be easy. Maybe the people that do it should be required to take an IQ test, just to see if they have one.

im too old to change my oil anymore--so i buy the oil and filter from Kman,bring them both to a local Texaco oil change shop,give them the oil/filter,and watch them change it--they charge me $20 and i have a record of the oil change and no mess/no fuss.BTW i tell them 6.5 qts and the give me back the 1/2

FIRST OIL CHANGE AT DEALER WENT AS SMOOTH AS SILK, TOOK ABOUT AN HOUR AND THEY LET ME STAY WITH MY CAR. SECOND OIL CHANGE NOT SO GOOD, THEY RAN OUT OF 5W50 AND HAD TO PICK UP FROM ANOTHER DEALER (2 HOURS LATER) AND THEN, THIS IS THE BEST, THEY ROTATED THE TIRES, THE REAR ON THE FRONT AND THE FRONT ON THE REAR, THE HEAD TECH ASKED WHY I WAS HYSTERICAL, I JUST POINTED, EVERYBODY WAS LAUGHING, I ASKED FOR THE OWNER AND THATS WHEN THE LAUGHING STOPPED, THEY GAVE ME A NICE DISCOUNT AND THAT WAS THE LAST TIME ANY OF CARS GO TO THEM, NOW I TAKE IT TO THE LOCAL SHOP WITH MY OIL AND FILTER AND THEY CHARGE ME 10 BUCKS AND THEY TAKE THERE SWEET TIME TO MAKE SURE IT'S RIGHT THEY GET ALL MY REPAIRS AND THE NEIGHBORS, 7200 MILES AND 4 OIL CHANGES, SOLD MY BABY IN LATE SEPT, AND BOY DO I MISS HER , GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS, STEVE

Could there be any warranty issues if you change your own oil undocumented? I had my oil changed by the dealer and had the problem of them only having 6 quarts of oil on hand. Had to wait about an hour extra just to get a quart delivered from another dealer. I spoke to the shop supervisor and let him know that I even called ahead the day before to let them know what I had, when I would be there and if they had the required stuff to do the job. I was assured they did.....well they didn't. They made it right in my eyes. We take all of our vehicles there but the Shelby is different. The only reason I was taking it to them was to have the oil changed documented for warranty purposes in case there was ever an issue.

I guess in the long run that is what it is about for me. I want there to be a solid, certified paper trail of services being done so if anything happens in my warranty period i can't get the blowback of not going through the paces. I had a "Forced engine shut down" on the car the day after or the second day after i had this recent oil change. I took it in to the SVT guy there and he did his paces and the computer could not bring up why it happened. So now im freaking out that it was because of this oil change. Just driving down I-5 at 60 MPH with cruise control on.

So getting ready to call the dealer now and see what is going to happen. I am going to be worried until the end of time that this has/is doing damage to my engine already as it is. Damn incompetence.

Nic

I guess in the long run that is what it is about for me. I want there to be a solid, certified paper trail of services being done so if anything happens in my warranty period i can't get the blowback of not going through the paces. I had a "Forced engine shut down" on the car the day after or the second day after i had this recent oil change. I took it in to the SVT guy there and he did his paces and the computer could not bring up why it happened. So now im freaking out that it was because of this oil change. Just driving down I-5 at 60 MPH with cruise control on.

So getting ready to call the dealer now and see what is going to happen. I am going to be worried until the end of time that this has/is doing damage to my engine already as it is. Damn incompetence.

Nic

It's a damn shame, you try to go by the book to cover your butt and the people that are suppose to know how do to the work screw it up. Keep your receipts and document Dates, times and names, just in case push comes to shove.

My paper trail is the receipt I get from the Ford dealer showing that I bought 7 quarts of Full Synthetic 5W50 and the proper oil filter. I write my mileage and date on the receipt when I changed the oil and filter and put it in a 3 ring binder with all of my cars paper work.

I even wrote the toruque spec for the drain plug on the receipt. I bet the dealer doesn't know what it is LOL.

I have my oil changed at a local speed shop and I'm taking 7qts of Castrol Synthetic 5W50 and a FL820S filter in tomorrow and they also charge me $10 while I watch the work being done. Just turned !000 miles and will be getting my first change and they always give me a shop business receipt with the date, mileage, brand,weight type and amount of oil used. I will have them pour 6 and I will do the last 1/2 quart.

6.5 qts...thats it....not 7....and thats with the filter full...to much will bake on the crankshaft...not good, especially if your road racing..

they did the 7qt thing to me as well, luckily it was 5W-50. Me, the SM, & the GM had a few choice words. I usually do my own, but needed the car insp for registration, so had it done after my 2k mile trek back home from picking it up. Normally, i'll have the dealer do it during yearly state insp since its there, and i speak to the SM directly. New dealer im now using seems to care more, but we'll see in time....anyway, drove it home and drained the excess. They offered, but i said you had your one chance.

Nic

I read about these oil changes gone bad all the time. I am sure there are plenty of GT500s driving around with 5W-20 oil or too much oil in their pan. I declined my free oil change offered by my dealer choosing to do it my self. Here's a thread that shows how I do the oil change in my 2007 ... it's pretty simple to do it correctly.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-279/685466-how-i-change-oil-my-2007-gt500.html

My paper trail is the receipt I get from the Ford dealer showing that I bought 7 quarts of Full Synthetic 5W50 and the proper oil filter. I write my mileage and date on the receipt when I changed the oil and filter and put it in a 3 ring binder with all of my cars paper work.

I even wrote the toruque spec for the drain plug on the receipt. I bet the dealer doesn't know what it is LOL.

+1

I guarantee I do a better oil change than any dealership...

1. I never put the wrong oil in, ever...

2. I always put the correct amount of oil in...

3. I'm sure the dealership doesn't leave the oil plug out for half an hour so all the oil drains, I do...

4. I wrap tin foil around the old filter before removing it so the oil doesn't drip on the suspension...

5. I fill my oil filter before installing it..

6. The dealership usually has the same guy that sweeps the floors change your oil... Ok, they got me there... I sweep the floor too...

7. I always put the oil filler cap back on.

Leaving the cap off has happened before ... and I understand it makes a mess of your engine bay. If you must have your dealer or a shop change your oil, then I advise checking that the cap is installed before leaving.

Ok so I just got my first Oil change at the Dealershio done at 4400 miles even though it says to do it at 7500.

I pulled out the GT500 Supplemental manual and showed the guy it says 6.5 qts 5W50.

After I got the car back he mentioned they put 7 quarts in it because they needed half a quart for the oil filter.

So which is it? 7 Qts or 6.5qts including the oil filter?

I've only driven it home so far and I'll check the levels once she (and I) cool off.

If it is supposed to be 6.5qts what do I do? Drive it back to the dealership? I'm not a handyman I'm not getting under my car in the garage, especially since I don't have the tools to change my own oil anyways.

Ok so I just got my first Oil change at the Dealershio done at 4400 miles even though it says to do it at 7500.

I pulled out the GT500 Supplemental manual and showed the guy it says 6.5 qts 5W50.

After I got the car back he mentioned they put 7 quarts in it because they needed half a quart for the oil filter.

So which is it? 7 Qts or 6.5qts including the oil filter?

I've only driven it home so far and I'll check the levels once she (and I) cool off.

If it is supposed to be 6.5qts what do I do? Drive it back to the dealership? I'm not a handyman I'm not getting under my car in the garage, especially since I don't have the tools to change my own oil anyways.

the oil quantity always includes the filter. if they wanted 7 w/filter..the supplement would state 7...filter doesnt hold 1/2 a quart

tho the service manual shows 7.4qts...the supplement reduces the amount for a reason....

the oil quantity always includes the filter. if they wanted 7 w/filter..the supplement would state 7...filter doesnt hold 1/2 a quart

tho the service manual shows 7.4qts...the supplement reduces the amount for a reason....

So what should I do? I have good rapport with this dealer and they've treated me pretty good in the past.

So what should I do? I have good rapport with this dealer and they've treated me pretty good in the past.

i bet if you look at the dipstick it'll show an over full condition...mine did when they added 7 qts...i drained the 1/2 qt. its good you have a good rapport with them, so ask them why the big diff in amount. see what they say...better yet, call ford tech line and ask..

the supplement even indicates 6.5 w/filter....

The owners manual says use the Motorcraft SAE 5W-50 WSS-M2C931-"B".

The Castrol has an "A" SAE 5W-50 WSS-M2931-"A".

This A vs B thing has has been a topic in the past.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29076-new-oil-threadnow-dont-give-me-that-look/page__st__40

Ive given this info before and usually get hammered by Castrol zealots, but the B spec has alot less zinc phosphate in it than the A. ZnPhos is what causes the catalytic to degrade,hence the change to B several years ago--its equivalent to the SM(B) SAE spec vs the SL (spec A). When i investigated what oil to use,and i like Castrol, Castrol told me their B sepc wasnt approved by Ford--that was last year and maybe B is approved--but dont use any A spec,it doesnt meet Ford warranty

i bet if you look at the dipstick it'll show an over full condition...mine did when they added 7 qts...i drained the 1/2 qt. its good you have a good rapport with them, so ask them why the big diff in amount. see what they say...better yet, call ford tech line and ask..

the supplement even indicates 6.5 w/filter....

Yeah I just checked it....it is all the way to the little "hole" in the dipstick about 1/4 inch past the mark.

How serious is this? Is it more of a long term problem or can 1/2 qt. over cause problems quickly?

I'm not a gearhead, and I admittedly don't know a thing about motors, technology is my forte which is why I paid these bastards $83 to change my oil...

Yeah I just checked it....it is all the way to the little "hole" in the dipstick about 1/4 inch past the mark.

How serious is this? Is it more of a long term problem or can 1/2 qt. over cause problems quickly?

I'm not a gearhead, and I admittedly don't know a thing about motors, technology is my forte which is why I paid these bastards $83 to change my oil...

Ezareth,

Just as having too little oil in the crankcase can lead to main seal drying/cracking with resulting seepage, TOO MUCH oil in the crankcase can possibly cause too much pressure to develop and blow a main seal as well. If that happens, you're either going to have to drop the engine and/or transmission to replace the seal. NEVER leave a 3rd party service provider after a filter & oil change without personally checking the oil dipstick for the proper level (at ambient fill temperature). If it's not right, have it corrected BEFORE you leave! Also, it's wise to verify the shop has reinstalled YOUR dipstick rather than someone else's... because that could also cause you a huge headache down the road (no pun intended) from improper readings. Good luck!

id bring it back, and have them drain a 1/2 qt and have it noted that your returning it due to overfilling of the oil, just in case something did happen to the engine--bob

+1

I guarantee I do a better oil change than any dealership...

1. I never put the wrong oil in, ever...

2. I always put the correct amount of oil in...

3. I'm sure the dealership doesn't leave the oil plug out for half an hour so all the oil drains, I do...

4. I wrap tin foil around the old filter before removing it so the oil doesn't drip on the suspension...

5. I fill my oil filter before installing it..

6. The dealership usually has the same guy that sweeps the floors change your oil... Ok, they got me there... I sweep the floor too...

Believe it or not out of all places down here in Lower Alabama, Walmart has given me the best service. I just had an oil change done on my F-150 (5.4L Triton) and the service people walked into the store, took seven quarts of oil off the shelf and did my service then gave me the half a quart not used tied up in a plastic bag. The service was quick and extremely painless. I would dare say that it was the best oil change I have had in the past few years....

Believe it or not out of all places down here in Lower Alabama, Walmart has given me the best service. I just had an oil change done on my F-150 (5.4L Triton) and the service people walked into the store, took seven quarts of oil off the shelf and did my service then gave me the half a quart not used tied up in a plastic bag. The service was quick and extremely painless. I would dare say that it was the best oil change I have had in the past few years....

Yeah but, do they stock 5w50....spec "B"? I wouldn't take my GT500 with that specific of an oil. I've check many places around me, nobody but Ford carries that spec.

Archived