TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil change issue from dealer

mustanggt500

Ford has since changed the spec which includes recommending spec B not only for the GT500 '07 - '11, but also the Ford GT's, which were made first. If you don't use the right spec, it could void the warranty on a very expensive motor. But it you mod, then why care about the warranty, just drop 5w20 or whatever...

A spec B spec = doesn't matter. Don't dwell on that. Are all the 07 GT500 engines failing since they used A spec? A is BETTER FOR THE ENGINE. Who cares about the cats.

Chris the auotmakers do who have to replce the cats long term.Thats why they changed it to the B spec. The spec does affect older engines,like my 389 Pontiac which needs the ZnPhos to preserve the tappets on start-up, so i add ZnPhos to my oil.But new engines have zero affect from the A/B spec isue,its just the cats.I would be concrend if i were holding a warranty, and used A spec--Ford may say youre out of luck.So, why fool with it--just use B, about same price,and same functionality

There has been some here who said the Castrol spec was not accepted by Ford. However, the link says the Castrol 5w50, spec B, exceeds the standard. This comes from Castrol, any Ford experts out there want to contradict this?

I would rather buy Castrol just for the convencience of being able to get it quicker.

In my opinion the most important reason to use the ford oil is that they will send a sample of the crankcase oil out for evaluation if you grenade an engine. The report will come back and it will tell them if the oil is ford spec oil or not.....In my opinion the cost of the oil/convenience in getting it pails in comparison to voiding the warranty in a situation llike that......I know they do it at most of the dealers I have in my area outside of detroit in dealing with high performance cars.....

I really have to wonder if 1/2 a quart over is actually going to cause any problems. I think that when mine arrives at long last I'm just going to go with how the local dealership peeps do the oil.

A little over hasn't harmed my Toyota Echo the past 11 years.

I think that I'll also just use air from my Walmart air compressor for the tires.

It.s just a Ford that is going to end up flattened on a trailer on the way to the steel recycle yard after all. The last one I had, a 1960 something

pickup, the starter fell off.

It will be fun anyway, with that rather fine engine. Pity it's not variable cam timing, that would probably be good for an extra bunch of HP.

I really have to wonder if 1/2 a quart over is actually going to cause any problems. I think that when mine arrives at long last I'm just going to go with how the local dealership peeps do the oil.

A little over hasn't harmed my Toyota Echo the past 11 years.

I think that I'll also just use air from my Walmart air compressor for the tires.

It.s just a Ford that is going to end up flattened on a trailer on the way to the steel recycle yard after all. The last one I had, a 1960 something

pickup, the starter fell off.

It will be fun anyway, with that rather fine engine. Pity it's not variable cam timing, that would probably be good for an extra bunch of HP.

Good point if that is were your heart is at

Some of the guys around here are a little OCD to say the least

Me being one of them (yea I know it's just a car)

I figure if a shop cannot change my oil with the correct product, tighten the filter properly, without getting it all over the undercarriage" :censored: in the eye like a chicken". They will not have my business ever. I don't even let the dealer change the oil in my Ranger.

If you're going to bring your car in for service, you should thoroughly check it over when you go to pick it up. If something is amiss, have them take care of it ASAP.

Speaking of oil changes, when did everyone here do their 1st oil change? And what intervals do you follow now?

I did my first oil change at 800 miles.

I have 1700 miles on the odometer now (in a years time) and just did my 2nd oil change at 1500 miles. I'll probably do my oil changes twice a year regardless of mileage. The car will probably only be driven 2500 miles a year.

If you're going to bring your car in for service, you should thoroughly check it over when you go to pick it up. If something is amiss, have them take care of it ASAP.

Speaking of oil changes, when did everyone here do their 1st oil change? And what intervals do you follow now?

I did my first oil change at 800 miles.

I have 1700 miles on the odometer now (in a years time) and just did my 2nd oil change at 1500 miles. I'll probably do my oil changes twice a year regardless of mileage. The car will probably only be driven 2500 miles a year.

Got mine with 1500 KM (900or so miles) on it Feb 08. It had been on the lot since May07 and was built in Feb07 . Did mine next day. and every 3-4 k miles since; of course change when put in storage and change it when it comes out of storage.

There has been some here who said the Castrol spec was not accepted by Ford. However, the link says the Castrol 5w50, spec B, exceeds the standard. This comes from Castrol, any Ford experts out there want to contradict this?

I would rather buy Castrol just for the convencience of being able to get it quicker.

trust me, im not trying to argue,but when Castrol was asked by me if Ford had approved their product, the answer was no--so even if they say it meets the spec,if they cant get a "spec-in" from Ford,it doesnt count--if they say that it has been approved , and get us a link to that approval, let us konw and ill start using it

I swear, this oil topic is a slippery one :hysterical: .

Anyway, I just checked at my local Autozone and Castrol is still spec "A". So, I do don't believe the Castrol link.

On the other question, I have 4500 miles in 16 months. I got my freebie done at just shy of 1000. Since then I did 2 more myself. My oil life monitor is at 45% now and the oil is just starting to darken some. I seems if you go by the oil life monitor, it will be fairly accurate. However I change it at the milage mark or the monthly mark regardless of the oil life monitor, which is usally between 30 adn 40%.

BTW, the oil life monitor calculates by run time and just time so intervals can seem odd if you use the system.

I swear, this oil topic is a slippery one :hysterical: .

Anyway, I just checked at my local Autozone and Castrol is still spec "A". So, I do don't believe the Castrol link.

On the other question, I have 4500 miles in 16 months. I got my freebie done at just shy of 1000. Since then I did 2 more myself. My oil life monitor is at 45% now and the oil is just starting to darken some. I seems if you go by the oil life monitor, it will be fairly accurate. However I change it at the milage mark or the monthly mark regardless of the oil life monitor, which is usally between 30 adn 40%.

BTW, the oil life monitor calculates by run time and just time so intervals can seem odd if you use the system.

what is an oil life monitor :headscratch:

what is an oil life monitor :headscratch:

It basically lets you know how much oil life you have left since the last oil change.

You can cycle through your settings using the "setup" button. On '10, one click is health report, two clicks is the oil life. Either one will let you know.

It basically lets you know how much oil life you have left since the last oil change.

You can cycle through your settings using the "setup" button. On '10, one click is health report, two clicks is the oil life. Either one will let you know.

I have not gotten that far yet

I have the MPG = neat info but who cares

miles till empty = this one I like get me paranoid

trip miles = cool but only goes to 1000

and that button that turns off the traction control = oh boy time for some scary fun happy%20feet.gif

So I took my car back to the dealer and the service manager stood by his 7 quart stance. He said he has a single tech who services all of the GT500 and other SVT vehicles and he doesnt let anyone else touch the car. He even showed me Fords inside service manual that shows our engine has a 7.4 quart capacity with oil filter. We checked the dipstick and the oil was between the 2 holes on the dipstick but about a 1/4 of an inch above the hashmarks which he said was fine. He said he had no problem draining the extra 1/2 quart if I wanted but said it would be on the very low end of the acceptable levels if he did.

I have a printed copy of the Ford manual he printed off and it says 7.4 qts so is the 2011 different than the rest of the GT500s or is everyone else filling theirs to the bottom hole and not closer to the top or what?

So I took my car back to the dealer and the service manager stood by his 7 quart stance. He said he has a single tech who services all of the GT500 and other SVT vehicles and he doesnt let anyone else touch the car. He even showed me Fords inside service manual that shows our engine has a 7.4 quart capacity with oil filter. We checked the dipstick and the oil was between the 2 holes on the dipstick but about a 1/4 of an inch above the hashmarks which he said was fine. He said he had no problem draining the extra 1/2 quart if I wanted but said it would be on the very low end of the acceptable levels if he did.

I have a printed copy of the Ford manual he printed off and it says 7.4 qts so is the 2011 different than the rest of the GT500s or is everyone else filling theirs to the bottom hole and not closer to the top or what?

Just changed my oil and put in 6.5 qts and that's the correct amount.

Look at the 2011 GT500 Owner's Manual supplement. See page 29 !

http://iihs.net/fsm/...%20Printing.pdf

Ok so I just got my first Oil change at the Dealershio done at 4400 miles even though it says to do it at 7500.

I pulled out the GT500 Supplemental manual and showed the guy it says 6.5 qts 5W50.

After I got the car back he mentioned they put 7 quarts in it because they needed half a quart for the oil filter.

So which is it? 7 Qts or 6.5qts including the oil filter?

I've only driven it home so far and I'll check the levels once she (and I) cool off.

If it is supposed to be 6.5qts what do I do? Drive it back to the dealership? I'm not a handyman I'm not getting under my car in the garage, especially since I don't have the tools to change my own oil anyways.

It's 6.5 including the filter. 1/2 quart over isn't going to cause you any heartaches in a 6.5 qt system. I'd leave it alone and do it myself from now on. Oil changing guys are a little more than valets. They are not techs....I wouldn't trust them.

I wonder if the 2011 owners manual is a copy and paste from the 2007 - 2010 GT500's and is in error ? :headscratch:

The Ford Spec that is posted on the Ford Shop manuals that the Ford Tech's use say different. It says 7.4 qts.

Here it is:

That is exactly what he printed out for me.

Damn 5W20?! This is exactly why I stay by my car and watch everything that is done. I bring the car in every 5K miles under the service contract and always get a hard copy of the paperwork as to keep the paper trail true. When someone is being watched by the owner of the car, they tend to be much more careful and precise in their work.

I buy the oil (Castrol) and the Ford Racing filter and have the dealer do the oil change and give me back the half quart.

im too old to change my oil anymore--so i buy the oil and filter from Kman,bring them both to a local Texaco oil change shop,give them the oil/filter,and watch them change it--they charge me $20 and i have a record of the oil change and no mess/no fuss.BTW i tell them 6.5 qts and the give me back the 1/2

I've changed it myself twice and took it to the dealer once (I was there already...) When the dealer did it, I provided the oil/filter, watched them drain it, filled it myself, and they only charged me for the labor. It's the ONLY way I'd let anyone else change the oil in my car. Too many dufi around. I trust no one.

Archived