TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Modifications and dealerships

scgt5c

After adding a CAI, tune, pulley and plugs, has anyone taken their car back to a dealership for maintenance? If so, did you change everything back to original or explain the mods to the service manager so they wouldn't mess with the tune? Do you think it matters to them?

I work at a Ford dealership, and I've installed 4.10 gears and reprogrammed the computer with a handheld DiabloSport Tuner. I changed the redline, shift points, shift firmness, fuel/timing curves, eliminated the top-speed limiter, etc. I, too, was worried about having to pull the custom tune out before doing maintainence, but I talked to our shop foreman, service manager, and the tech that put in the 4.10's and they all couldn't care less about the mods as far as normal maintainence is concerned. Typical oil changes and the like don't get into the car's computer, so no need to go back to stock.

However, and a big however at that, is that if you have a failure with any component of the car and you need a repair (not just routine maintainence), then if any of your mods caused the failure then you will have to pay for the repair. If your mods had no cause/effect relationship with the failed part(s), then your warranty is still good.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Feb 19 2007, 01:50 PM) 103388[/snapback]
I work at a Ford dealership, and I've installed 4.10 gears and reprogrammed the computer with a handheld DiabloSport Tuner. I changed the redline, shift points, shift firmness, fuel/timing curves, eliminated the top-speed limiter, etc. I, too, was worried about having to pull the custom tune out before doing maintainence, but I talked to our shop foreman, service manager, and the tech that put in the 4.10's and they all couldn't care less about the mods as far as normal maintainence is concerned. Typical oil changes and the like don't get into the car's computer, so no need to go back to stock.

However, and a big however at that, is that if you have a failure with any component of the car and you need a repair (not just routine maintainence), then if any of your mods caused the failure then you will have to pay for the repair. If your mods had no cause/effect relationship with the failed part(s), then your warranty is still good.

So, because I have an early production 07 GT500 with known possible clutch issues, would any hp modification be considered a contributing factor? What about having installed an aftermarket shifter, or drive shaft? How about if I were to remove the failed clutch assy and bring it to the dealer for replacement? Your opinion is appreciated.

Thanks

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Feb 19 2007, 12:50 PM) 103388[/snapback]

Thanks Five Oh B for the insight. I don't have a Ford dealer connection guy so I was woundering how that whole thing was gonna play out.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Feb 19 2007, 01:50 PM) 103388[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I work at a Ford dealership, and I've installed 4.10 gears and reprogrammed the computer with a handheld DiabloSport Tuner. I changed the redline, shift points, shift firmness, fuel/timing curves, eliminated the top-speed limiter, etc. I, too, was worried about having to pull the custom tune out before doing maintainence, but I talked to our shop foreman, service manager, and the tech that put in the 4.10's and they all couldn't care less about the mods as far as normal maintainence is concerned. Typical oil changes and the like don't get into the car's computer, so no need to go back to stock.

So, because I have an early production 07 GT500 with known possible clutch issues, would any hp modification be considered a contributing factor? What about having installed an aftermarket shifter, or drive shaft? How about if I were to remove the failed clutch assy and bring it to the dealer for replacement? Your opinion is appreciated.

Thanks

I work at a dealer as well and if you did the mods to the driveline that you're talking about youd probably paying for a new clutch regardless of whether it was a possible known problem from and early run car. Plus, you cant just bring in the failed part in question, you have to bring in the whole car. And the first thing Ford is going to want to know is why on earth would you need to replace the driveshaft with a one piece unit. Give them a little credit, the regional reps and field service reps are taught what to look for on a car like this for abuse and its their job to deny warranty claims based on modifications to the vehicle. It saves Ford thousands of dollars per year.

I guess if you want to play, you have to pay. I have heard of only one clutch failure at around 3,500 miles. My clutch feels fine at 900 miles, but I don't want to wait for five years before doing some improvements to the engine, drive line, and suspension. I don't understand why people think that just because your modifying the car, means you are abusing it? What is abuse is giving the car just a little bit to much gas with stock suspension and having the rear end hop all over the place. I would hope Ford reps or service managers wouldn't consider improving the lacking suspension a sign of abuse. I hope the clutch doesn't fail for awhile, but if it does, I will be changing it myself at home and I guess on my nickel. On the bright side, I won't be worried about haggling over a failed clutch, going back to stock, or having the wrong person getting behind the wheel of my car to "test it out".

I guess if you want to play, you have to pay. I have heard of only one clutch failure at around 3,500 miles. My clutch feels fine at 900 miles, but I don't want to wait for five years before doing some improvements to the engine, drive line, and suspension. I don't understand why people think that just because your modifying the car, means you are abusing it? What is abuse is giving the car just a little bit to much gas with stock suspension and having the rear end hop all over the place. I would hope Ford reps or service managers wouldn't consider improving the lacking suspension a sign of abuse. I hope the clutch doesn't fail for awhile, but if it does, I will be changing it myself at home and I guess on my nickel. On the bright side, I won't be worried about haggling over a failed clutch, going back to stock, or having the wrong person getting behind the wheel of my car to "test it out".

Well said Blayne I agree. :rockon:

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Feb 19 2007, 12:50 PM) 103388[/snapback]

Then we are at the NOT MY BAD...and back to the not my falt therory, So...prov it will have happen with/ without the mod,s.......... I gess we just pay the diddler?????????DIDDLE AWAY BOYS, becuase we will pay any how .........ENJOY THE RIDE!!!!!!!!

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Feb 19 2007, 12:50 PM) 103388[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I work at a Ford dealership, and I've installed 4.10 gears and reprogrammed the computer with a handheld DiabloSport Tuner. I changed the redline, shift points, shift firmness, fuel/timing curves, eliminated the top-speed limiter, etc. I, too, was worried about having to pull the custom tune out before doing maintainence, but I talked to our shop foreman, service manager, and the tech that put in the 4.10's and they all couldn't care less about the mods as far as normal maintainence is concerned. Typical oil changes and the like don't get into the car's computer, so no need to go back to stock.

Then we are at the NOT MY BAD...and back to the not my falt therory, So...prov it will have happen with/ without the mod,s.......... I gess we just pay the diddler?????????DIDDLE AWAY BOYS, becuase we will pay any how .........ENJOY THE RIDE!!!!!!!!

:headscratch:

Another caution is this: sometimes a dealership service dept may update your computer without your knowledge. For example, if Ford comes out with an updated program, they may just reflash your ECM while it's in for an oil change or other unrelated service. You need to tell the service advisor to not reflash your ECM without your express permission.

My $0.02

As a word of caution: Those of us who have owned the 03-04 Cobra's and or 1999-2004 Lightnings know that most WARRANTY work will be at the cost of the owner rather than Ford if the repair technician notes that anything even remotely related to the failure has been changed from stock. For example, blown engines have not been covered because of use of a K&N panel filter instead of the original Ford panel filter, etc. Dealerships are more than happy to provide SERVICE work at your expense. It's when they have to pony up warranty work which they don't get paid the full rate for that is the issue. Also, if any major warranty work is required (engines, trans, rears, etc.) a local Ford rep has to come out and inspect the car to determine if they will pay the bill. Some of these guys are well trained and know exactly what to look for. They even measure tire wear to see if you have been doing burnouts. If they find ANYTHING not as built on your vehicle, the claim will be denied first, and then it is up to you and your lawyers to prove that your modifications did not cause the problem. Their lawyers are very good at what they do too, so don't count on using the Moss Magnuson law to win in court either.

The best practice is to remove the obvious mods if you are taking your vehicle into the dealership for anything. Better yet, don't use your dealer for routine service.

Not all dealerships are bad with modifications installed as some are cool about it, but its hard to determine what yours will do. Technicians in my area are taught to put notes in your vehicle record of aftermarket parts observed just in case something major breaks. Several years back, many of the Lightning guys received notice that their warranty was cancelled because of similar observations by service technicians. 03-04 Cobra guys had similar experiences. Ford in in the financial dumpster, so look for this trend to continue. Hopefully the only time mine will be at the dealership is the day it arrived and went home with me.

LB

My $0.02

As a word of caution: Those of us who have owned the 03-04 Cobra's and or 1999-2004 Lightnings know that most WARRANTY work will be at the cost of the owner rather than Ford if the repair technician notes that anything even remotely related to the failure has been changed from stock. For example, blown engines have not been covered because of use of a K&N panel filter instead of the original Ford panel filter, etc. Dealerships are more than happy to provide SERVICE work at your expense. It's when they have to pony up warranty work which they don't get paid the full rate for that is the issue. Also, if any major warranty work is required (engines, trans, rears, etc.) a local Ford rep has to come out and inspect the car to determine if they will pay the bill. Some of these guys are well trained and know exactly what to look for. They even measure tire wear to see if you have been doing burnouts. If they find ANYTHING not as built on your vehicle, the claim will be denied first, and then it is up to you and your lawyers to prove that your modifications did not cause the problem. Their lawyers are very good at what they do too, so don't count on using the Moss Magnuson law to win in court either.

The best practice is to remove the obvious mods if you are taking your vehicle into the dealership for anything. Better yet, don't use your dealer for routine service.

Not all dealerships are bad with modifications installed as some are cool about it, but its hard to determine what yours will do. Technicians in my area are taught to put notes in your vehicle record of aftermarket parts observed just in case something major breaks. Several years back, many of the Lightning guys received notice that their warranty was cancelled because of similar observations by service technicians. 03-04 Cobra guys had similar experiences. Ford in in the financial dumpster, so look for this trend to continue. Hopefully the only time mine will be at the dealership is the day it arrived and went home with me.

LB

Agree 100%. If you do not want to do your own service, it is in your long term best interest to use and develop an good working relationship with a well respected independant repair shop or speed shop. If you are going to modify your vehicle, you really need to stay away from dealerships as much as possible for a low stress owner experience.

Archived