TEAM SHELBY FORUM

5 point Seat Harness

Is a 5 point seat harness available for the stock seats in our car. I eventually want to put a roll bar in, however that is on the future list of things to do. I am doing an autocross event and I always find myself sliding in the seat more than I like. Suggestions? Driving slower is not an option.

Get a harness bar and then you can use the 5-point seat belt set-up, although, I would delete the nut buster strap.

Any of the 5 points will work, but the submarine belt is the mostlikely to cause issues as the OE seats obviously not made for one and could damage your seat. I've seen where guys have modified the OE by having a slit cut to allow the belt to slide up thru.

Safety wise your biggest concern is how and where the belts are anchored. I'm of the belief that shoulder harnesses are dangerous if they are not properly supported by a harness bar/roll bar that should run shoulder hieght behind the seats.

Check the SCCA forums for some really good info on belts.

I went with Shelby Series 1 seats and a 4-point harness and I still slide so I'm not sure a 5-point alone will help. Maybe since I'm only 5'7" and 170 lbs versus a guy 6' 220 lbs makes a difference but I still slide like crazy even with the belt snug. In fact although I love the look I'm seriously thinking of selling the Series 1 seats and getting some real race seats.

Harness bar + Harness = death wish if it rolls over. :redcard:

Don't do a harness without a cage.

I've heard this but I don't understand the logic. A rollover without a cage, regardless of the belts is bad news no matter how you slice it. So how does a harness & harness bar make it worse?

My understanding is that the shoulder harness is to hold you back/upright in the seat (this is where many make the mistake by installing shoulder harnesses incorrectly trying use them to hold them down in the seat) while the lap belts hold you down in the seat and a submarine belt keeps you from sliding under the lap belt which is more likely then you think so I wouldn't forego the submarine belt.

It is far more likely that a mishap on the track will result in a front-end, rear-end, side-on collision then a roll over.

To help keep your butt in the seat, a good seat is the real key if it has sufficient side & hip support.

I went with Shelby Series 1 seats and a 4-point harness and I still slide so I'm not sure a 5-point alone will help. Maybe since I'm only 5'7" and 170 lbs versus a guy 6' 220 lbs makes a difference but I still slide like crazy even with the belt snug. In fact although I love the look I'm seriously thinking of selling the Series 1 seats and getting some real race seats.

Thanks, cage/roll bar in your car? If so which one?

I've heard this but I don't understand the logic. A rollover without a cage, regardless of the belts is bad news no matter how you slice it. So how does a harness & harness bar make it worse?

My understanding is that the shoulder harness is to hold you back/upright in the seat (this is where many make the mistake by installing shoulder harnesses incorrectly trying use them to hold them down in the seat) while the lap belts hold you down in the seat and a submarine belt keeps you from sliding under the lap belt which is more likely then you think so I wouldn't forego the submarine belt.

It is far more likely that a mishap on the track will result in a front-end, rear-end, side-on collision then a roll over.

To help keep your butt in the seat, a good seat is the real key if it has sufficient side & hip support.

1. Roof gets crushed.

2. Your head stays straight up in the seat.

3. ______________________________

:doh:

1. Roof gets crushed.

2. Your head stays straight up in the seat.

3. ______________________________

:doh:

If I'm about to flip my beloved Shelby then I think would prey for #3. Because If I can walk away from it my wife would make sure I didn't walk for very long. :finger:

Harness bar + Harness = death wish if it rolls over. :redcard:

Don't do a harness without a cage.

What it says is "a roll cage is in the future" which I took as "I need something in the meantime" which equals a harness bar so he can use a 5 point seat belt set-up. A roll cage in a Mustang looks kool but is pretty worthless anyway because it's not anchored to any hard points such as a full framed car has. They're attached to sheet metal which in a flip over or roll over will punch right threw that thin sheet metal it's attached to. Even if you use sub-frame connectors, which is better than just bolting the cage to the floors sheet metal, it's still not as good as a full framed out car unless you "WELD" some heavy duty connectors in. Trust me..............I've been there!

Guys,

This whole safety issue is really straight forward but not inexpensive. I agree 100% with the point that you MUST have a roll bar if you are going to go 4 or 5 point. I have seen a car with a 5 point where the roof was flattened on the passenger side but not the driver's side. There was no passenger that day but had there been one, he or she would have been dead x 2.

I have 5 point and I would not want to be without the anti-submarine part. I have stock seats and there is no issue with off track use (in terms of the anti-submarine part being in the way). I had a Porsche for 30 years and had only a 4 point. Get the 5 point.

You also need to think about fire - the scariest thing out there. I will be honest and tell you that the fire suppression system I have (not a fire extinguisher) I put in because my 22 year old son drives the car (much better than do I) and I could not live with myself if he did not have maximum protection.

And on top of that is a one piece fire suit with Nomex gloves. And with all of that, you have about 30 seconds to get out before you burn.

There was a story, I think last year, in Grassroots Motorsport magazine that talked about a driver whose car caught fire. He had everything he should have and he was still injured but recovered fully.

I was out in the desert last Saturday with some of the TS guys (and gals) and, although it was 95 degrees out, I did not even think about not wearing my suit (and, yes, it was hot).

The fact of the matter is that none of us is a professional driver and we are going to get in situations where s**t happens and happens fast. And when it goes wrong, it can go really wrong really fast, even in an autocross. These cars we own are monsters in terms of how fast they can go and how fast they can corner. That all adds up to a potential for disaster when something goes wrong.

I am as careful as anyone can be on a track but I go off the track sometimes, as shown below (from last Saturday - I was still on the track when the photo was taken but off in a heartbeat after). I just think you should assess the potential for injury. Nobody wants to die in one of these cars, right?

Jim

Spin1.jpg

What it says is "a roll cage is in the future" which I took as "I need something in the meantime" which equals a harness bar so he can use a 5 point seat belt set-up. A roll cage in a Mustang looks kool but is pretty worthless anyway because it's not anchored to any hard points such as a full framed car has. They're attached to sheet metal which in a flip over or roll over will punch right threw that thin sheet metal it's attached to. Even if you use sub-frame connectors, which is better than just bolting the cage to the floors sheet metal, it's still not as good as a full framed out car unless you "WELD" some heavy duty connectors in. Trust me..............I've been there!

Thanks for all of the input. Cage is certainly in the future. Harness bar and 5 point will be first step to keep from sliding around. One step at a time.

Jim thanks for the input on the fire suit, fire suppression system.

Archived