TEAM SHELBY FORUM

For All The Mustang II Haters Out There

shelbymotorsports

Uh, maybe it was because i was like 10 at the time but I always liked the Mustang II's Can't say I've ever seen the Shelby edition tho :headscratch: Any ideas on production numbers?

Alan

Uh, maybe it was because i was like 10 at the time but I always liked the Mustang II's Can't say I've ever seen the Shelby edition tho :headscratch: Any ideas on production numbers?

Alan

AJ

That's not a Shelby edition but rather the new for 1976 Cobra II Mustang II. Sad thing is the Cobra II used in that ad only has the horrible 2.8 V6 and not the 302 V8.

In my opinion the best Mustang II was the 1978 King Cobra with a 302 V8 & 4spd man trans. Extremely anemic but for the smog strangulation times of the late 70's it was decent.

I still say if it wasn't for the Mustang II there's a good chance the Mustang nameplate would have been a distant memory that probably would have come back as a FWD car.

Steve

Great magazine ad Steve. I have a co-worker trying to sell me his 1978 King Cobra. I'm still debating whether I want to buy it and restore one more Mustang. If anyone else us interested, send me a PM. The King Cobra was a much more eye-appealing car than the Cobra II Mustangs that preceded it.

post-26281-071968400 1287721090_thumb.jpg

post-26281-071968400 1287721090_thumb.jpg

Although the Mustang II gets a bad rap for the most part by Mustang fans, it was not a bad car. I owned a 1974 Mustang II 2.3L 4 speed which I purchased brand new. I wanted a Mustang, and needed an economical car, and there it was. A lot of people don't realize it, but this car is credited with saving the Mustang name. Prior Mustang sales had become dismal and it was threatened with extinction due to several factors. The Mustang II completely turned this around and sales were great.

My Mustang II took me through college and another 4 years on top of that. After I sold it in '81, two years later I spotted it running around the DC beltway, smoking a little but still going strong!! Don't be so hard on the Mustang II; w/out it we would most likely not be driving the great Mustangs we have today!!

FordMustangII19740056.jpg

So if i read the marketing materials, the upsell is all of the appearance package with disk brakes as the performance upgrade? OK, I'll take two please...one with Farrah Fawcett please... :drool:

Keep in mind it was the mid 70's and a MAJOR Gas crunch going on. Ford took a huge chance bringing back a V8 Mustang and the gamble paid off. The Camaro was a big Boat back then and did not sell that well.

AJ

That's not a Shelby edition but rather the new for 1976 Cobra II Mustang II. Sad thing is the Cobra II used in that ad only has the horrible 2.8 V6 and not the 302 V8.

In my opinion the best Mustang II was the 1978 King Cobra with a 302 V8 & 4spd man trans. Extremely anemic but for the smog strangulation times of the late 70's it was decent.

I still say if it wasn't for the Mustang II there's a good chance the Mustang nameplate would have been a distant memory that probably would have come back as a FWD car.

Steve

How dangerously close did we come to having the Probe 'replace' our beloved car????? Thank god there was an outcry from the Mustang faithful, as the Ford execs. had the chopping block poised! Seems crazy thinking about that now.

AJ

Steve

PLUS: I think "MUSTANG" is the longest running Name for a car so far............................................... NO, NOT CORVETTE, there was no 1983 Vette.

I kinda hate saying this, but I had one! Bought the "Cobra II" new in 1976 for around $5500 with the V6 and a 4-speed. It had issues at first, (bad ignition switch burned out several starters and the rear main seal had to be replaced before I hit 30K miles), but overall, the car was decent. I kept it for 10 years and put over 100K miles on it, then turned around and sold it for $3500, so I think I got my money's worth, and then some!

Oh sure, I endured endless teasing about it being Farrah Fawcett's car and an overglorified Pinto, but hey, it did serve it's purpose. (and the fold-down rear seat with hatchback was great for "sleepovers"!)

All graphics were vinyl, hood scoop was plastic and non-functional, (sound familiar?), and the front air-dam was made out of rubber/vinyl and was horribly warped. (I sort of fixed it by attaching an aluminum plate to the back of it to stiffen it up) I also made the scoop functional by cutting out the plastic at the front, drilling holes in the hood and air filter cover, and putting a piece of foam between the hood and air cleaner. (Unlike today's fuel injected cars, the Mustang II had the carb/filter located right below the scoop!)

My vanity plate read: HISSS

Sam

Keep in mind it was the mid 70's and a MAJOR Gas crunch going on. Ford took a huge chance bringing back a V8 Mustang and the gamble paid off. The Camaro was a big Boat back then and did not sell that well.

Camaro. wins for me....or a groooovvvvvyyyyyyy VAN man!

Now how about one as a sleeper? Drop in your choice of Ford powerplants with over 500HP with a semi quiet exhaust and you could drop lots of people assuming you could hook it up, they would never see it coming. Had two friends with II,s. I think one was a 75 4 cyl.,with a stick, man was that thing slow, you could get out and run faster it seemed. The other was a 302 automatic, not sure of the year. It was a dog by todays or even 1987 Fox Body measurements but in the day it moved ok (what did I know then?) and it sounded good from what I remember.

I've always chuckled to myself thru the years on how much hate the Mustang II recieves but the sales records show the public was much more in love with the Mustang II than the 1969-73 Mustang's.

At least the Mustang II came with a 302 V8 and not that turd 255 V8 in the 1980-81 Mustang's. And let's not forget that reproduction Cobra owners don't mind scavenging the front suspension from the Mustang II.

As anemic as the Mustang II was due to the smog equipment I think a lot of people would be surprised that the Mustang II V8 outperformed many of the earlier V8 equipped Mustangs. Like the heavy as a tank 1973 Mustang with a 302 reallly performed. How about the first Mustangs with a 260 V8? Yeah those were barn stormers.

So what if the Mustang II shared some dna with the Pinto. Wasn't the original Mustang based on Ford's cheapest car the Falcon? What about the revered Fox bodied Mustangs? DNA right back to the Ford Fairmont. Does anyone want to admit owning a Fairmont? It was almost a challenge between Ford with their Fairmont and Chevy with their Citation on who could build a crappier car, I think Chevy won that battle.

I like all Mustang's, of course some years were better than others. Mustang II owners have been hammered on enough over the years.

Steve

So if i read the marketing materials, the upsell is all of the appearance package with disk brakes as the performance upgrade? OK, I'll take two please...one with Farrah Fawcett please... :drool:

That's why I liked it. Farrah drove one on Charlie's Angels. I went and blew all my saved up allowance on a remote control model!

The Mustang II was always an oxymoron----an economical performance car! But thank goodness it saved our ponies hides! I think at one time the Pinto with the 2.6 V6 actually out performed the Mustang! A friend of mine and his twin brother had a contrasting pair of Cobra II's. One black/gold the other white/red......they both wish they had them back.

Steve

You are absolutely correct. The Mustang II saved the Mustang. I don't like them, but you have to see them in their time era. Hugh sales records when it came out in 1974, 385.993.

You are absolutely correct. The Mustang II saved the Mustang. I don't like them, but you have to see them in their time era. Hugh sales records when it came out in 1974, 385.993.

Dutch...I think that girl in your avatar is the same chick that cuts my hair!!! :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

When I had my Mustang II, my best friend had a Chevy Vega. Now THAT was a POS!! The :hysterical3: engine blew up after about a year.

Yeah...wasn't that awesome................cylinder sleeves?.....................we don't need no 'stinkin' cylinder sleeves!!! Right. :happy feet: :hysterical:

Sorry Steve but that thing looks like a Pinto with racing stripes to me. headscratch.gif

Does that mean my 1971 Pinto 2.3 auto was a baby Mustang II? I think it is still running. Maybe it is a classic as well?

That's why I liked it. Farrah drove one on Charlie's Angels. I went and blew all my saved up allowance on a remote control model!

A remote controlled Farrah model would have been a much better choice on a limited allowance. :happy feet:

As fun as it is to bash Mustang II's, there really wasn't anything out there at the time that was any better, other than maybe the Fire Chicken Trans Ams. The mid/late 70s though the early 80's where awful for cars.

Archived