TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR or GT350

REAL ONE

Yup, just clarifying on the trade in for one. I drove my GT500 last night for the first time since getting the GT350, and as much as I love my GT500, its not even close. I know the KRs have some better handling on them, and the looks are just off the chart!, but I sure would like to see you guys drive a 350 before answering. Mine is available for a drive if you are ever in the area. I got no problem letting anyone who already owns a Shelby drive it.:salute:

I wanted a KR, (black on black) so friggin bad, I could taste it, and if the dealers hadnt marked them up so much, Im pretty sure it would be in my stable. By the time the prices dropped, I already was planning on the 350, (I knew about last November, but heard "rumours" as early as Jan. 09)

I will say this- with the current pricing of a new or fairly unused KR, it is hard to pass up on these deals. Dollar for dollar, the KR is an outstanding deal. In my opinion, I think the prices on the KR have hit the bottom, and even if you drive it for a few years and have fun, it wont drop in value much at all. That makes it the best DEAL of any Shelby. This isnt even considering the value in say 25 or 30 years, just 3-5 years I think you guys could get what you paid for them. What other car in the world can you say that about? any? I dont think so!

I will ALWAYS have a special place in my heart for the KR. I mean that! If it ever works out for me, I will own one someday.

Yup, just clarifying on the trade in for one. I drove my GT500 last night for the first time since getting the GT350, and as much as I love my GT500, its not even close. I know the KRs have some better handling on them, and the looks are just off the chart!, but I sure would like to see you guys drive a 350 before answering. Mine is available for a drive if you are ever in the area. I got no problem letting anyone who already owns a Shelby drive it.:salute:

I wanted a KR, (black on black) so friggin bad, I could taste it, and if the dealers hadnt marked them up so much, Im pretty sure it would be in my stable. By the time the prices dropped, I already was planning on the 350, (I knew about last November, but heard "rumours" as early as Jan. 09)

I will say this- with the current pricing of a new or fairly unused KR, it is hard to pass up on these deals. Dollar for dollar, the KR is an outstanding deal. In my opinion, I think the prices on the KR have hit the bottom, and even if you drive it for a few years and have fun, it wont drop in value much at all. That makes it the best DEAL of any Shelby. This isnt even considering the value in say 25 or 30 years, just 3-5 years I think you guys could get what you paid for them. What other car in the world can you say that about? any? I dont think so!

I will ALWAYS have a special place in my heart for the KR. I mean that! If it ever works out for me, I will own one someday.

Warren, I love your GT350. I had a great time on Saturday at the dyno. Your car sounded wicked at WOT. I couldn't believe the attention our cars (especially yours) were getting on the way to the shop. One of these days, I'll take you up on your offer to drive the 350.

Someday, I would love to add one to my stable, along with a Super Snake.

Well said Warren. :rockon:

I just bought a Rolex Daytona clone on Canal Street in New York City-just as good as an original

'Real One' replied:

No it's not.

Then 'carrera' responded with:

Correct! And neither is the SS Clone

I respectfully but totally disagree.

I have a simple question for you: Do you know what the difference between a 'genuine' Super Snake and a Super Snake 'clone' is?

The CSM number. Period. That's it.

Why? Because all of the same "off the shelf (FRPP) parts" would be on both of them. If not FRPP, then Eibach and Kenne Bell. All of which can be had by the general public. And I've seen so many KB "Super Snake" badged blowers being sold on this site that you can't even claim that the KB "SS" pulley is exclusive.

The same hood would be on both cars (Shelby sells the SS hoods).

The same Carbon Fiber splitter would be on both (Shelby sells the CF SS splitter).

The same 20" Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels would be on both (sans the "Super Snake" script, which I could have added if I wanted to).

The ONLY difference between a SS clone and the genuine product, would be the CSM number that Shelby American attaches to the car. Just about everything else is either available to the public or can be duplicated by a person with enough motivation (SS headrests, SS armrests, SS door sill plates, etc.). Where there's a will (and a few bucks), there's a way.

Now on the other hand, do you know what the difference between a real Rolex and a fake Rolex is?

EVERYTHING. The difference is tremendous.

Fake stones vs. real gems. Inferior metals vs superior metals. Inferior parts machining vs superior parts machining. Inferior tolerances vs perfect tolerances. Inferior workmanship vs superior workmanship. This goes on and on and on and on...a fake Rolex is obvious. Just pick one up and note the difference in weight.

You analogy is "Apples vs. Oranges".

Like I said, from 10 feet away it would be IMPOSSIBLE for you to know if a "cloned SS" was real or fake because Shelby uses all "off the shelf" parts to build a Super Snake. The script would be the first clue but then I know of guys who have taken their genuine SS scripted wheels of and put standard Alcoa's on (either to protect their OE's or to widen a set of Std.'s). I can make the "wings" on the Cobra with reletive ease and a piece of 1/8" aluminuim.

If Shelby used proprietary parts, it would be a completely different story. But they don't. They use "off the shelf" parts that any ole' body can go and purchase.

Heck, if I was shrewed enough I could even make my own copy of a CSM number plate, door sills and console plague.

And then the ONLY way you would be able to tell if it were real or fake was if you checed on it with the Shelby Registry.

But tell me something....how many used Super Snakes have you seen being sold...and how many of those do you think got their registry information checked with Shelby?

My bet is....not many, if any at all.

My main point is, I can make my car *look* (and for that matter, PERFORM) exactly like a Super Snake with reletive ease.

And the same goes for the GT350, as far as PERFORMANCE is concerned. Again, because they are using "off the shelf" (FRPP) parts.

If Shelby American is smart (and I think they are) they will handle the GT350 body parts the same way they handle the KR body parts. Don't sell 'em to the GP, only sell one with proof of the old one being destroyed, etc.

And even then, a few will "escape" into the GP's hands (they can only do "so much")

JMHO,

Phill

Thanks guys!

That's true Phill,

You are quite correct from a build standpoint on replica vs. real. (Although I will say there are replica rolex's that will fool a decent jeweler. I have seen a few that were indistinguishable with the movement quality of a real Rolex. Watches are one of my other vices, along with guitars and guns)

That said, the other side of this is ownership. Does owning a fake supersnake give you the feel of owning a real one? Same with a rolex vs a fake. THAT is where I think your opposing side is coming from on this topic. It isnt whether or not you can get the parts, it is all in presentation. There are personalities that will use that ruse to build their status out there, sure enough we all know a few, but you typically wont find them here, which is why you get the responses you got to the analogy. For them and most of us here, (and I assume even you) it isnt about owning a mustang made to look like a Shelby, its about owning a Shelby- even if all the differences added up are two little pieces of mteal on a logo and a CSM plaque.

We can now take any 60's body and restore it to a GT350 or 500 that would be near impossible to distinguish from an original, and yet you dont see those people that do that hanging out here.

When you define the difference between the person that would and the person that wouldn't, it is more of a characteristic that we possess that they dont. We buy REAL Shelbys, and Rolex's and Fender's because anything else is just a car, or a watch, or a guitar. It is about staying true to ourselves and the satisfaction of owning the real deal, more than it is about showing status to the rest of the world.:salute:

Thanks guys!

That's true Phill,

You are quite correct from a build standpoint on replica vs. real. (Although I will say there are replica rolex's that will fool a decent jeweler. I have seen a few that were indistinguishable with the movement quality of a real Rolex. Watches are one of my other vices, along with guitars and guns)

That said, the other side of this is ownership. Does owning a fake supersnake give you the feel of owning a real one? Same with a rolex vs a fake. THAT is where I think your opposing side is coming from on this topic. It isnt whether or not you can get the parts, it is all in presentation. There are personalities that will use that ruse to build their status out there, sure enough we all know a few, but you typically wont find them here, which is why you get the responses you got to the analogy. For them and most of us here, (and I assume even you) it isnt about owning a mustang made to look like a Shelby, its about owning a Shelby- even if all the differences added up are two little pieces of mteal on a logo and a CSM plaque.

We can now take any 60's body and restore it to a GT350 or 500 that would be near impossible to distinguish from an original, and yet you dont see those people that do that hanging out here.

When you define the difference between the person that would and the person that wouldn't, it is more of a characteristic that we possess that they dont. We buy REAL Shelbys, and Rolex's and Fender's because anything else is just a car, or a watch, or a guitar. It is about staying true to ourselves and the satisfaction of owning the real deal, more than it is about showing status to the rest of the world.:salute:

Wow Dubbs, that's one of the best posts I've ever read here. Well done my friend!!!!!:salute:

Wow Dubbs, that's one of the best posts I've ever read here. Well done my friend!!!!!:salute:

+1

I think we should all just quote this post when ever the debate comes up again! I wish someone woulda tought me how to make a point like that. I start out with all the good intentions of making a clear point that sums everything up but I end up getting sidetracked and making more than one point and then the whole thing rambles and my sentences get too long and run on and then people start to skim it and then even I skim it and before you know it I've written a paragraph without ever getting to my point. Oops, did it again.

I agree with Dubbs.

Very simply one is a REAL SS and the other looks and performs like an SS but is not an SS. Which would most prefer to have knowing one is a genuine SS and one is not?. My bet is more would prefer the Real SS provided finances permitted. Why,? Because its a genuine Shelby SS thats documented and registered.

You could build a Cobra "replica" with all the correct parts, materials etc. just like a genuine Shelby Cobra. Both cars being identical which would you rather have? I'm willing to bet the vast majority would rather have the genuine Shelby. Why? Again, that intangible factor that comes with owning something with a valued pedigree and provenance such as owning a genuine Shelby. Its just that simple. .

As I've said before, many times a car is more then the sum of its mechanical parts. There are some cars that have an intangible value that means something. Shelbys are just one example. I could give others. e.g. You could build a Yenko 427 Camaro clone for a fraction of the cost of a genuine. Both cars perform the same. Which would you rather have? I know which one I want.

The Rolex example is not really a great example. As Kona poinited out both may look like a Rolex but the quality difference is immense.

I agree with Dubbs.

Very simply one is a REAL SS and the other looks and performs like an SS but is not an SS. Which would most prefer to have knowing one is a genuine SS and one is not?. My bet is more would prefer the Real SS provided finances permitted. Why,? Because its a genuine Shelby SS thats documented and registered.

You could build a Cobra "replica" with all the correct parts, materials etc. just like a genuine Shelby Cobra. Both cars being identical which would you rather have? I'm willing to bet the vast majority would rather have the genuine Shelby. Why? Again, that intangible factor that comes with owning something with a valued pedigree and provenance such as owning a genuine Shelby. Its just that simple. .

As I've said before, many times a car is more then the sum of its mechanical parts. There are some cars that have an intangible value that means something. Shelbys are just one example. I could give others. e.g. You could build a Yenko 427 Camaro clone for a fraction of the cost of a genuine. Both cars perform the same. Which would you rather have? I know which one I want.

The Rolex example is not really a great example. As Kona poinited out both may look like a Rolex but the quality difference is immense.

Yet another great post. Thanks.

Archived