TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can you imagine these?

ShelbyOwner858

Oddly enough the car that wheel was designed for and is installed on, is a Shelby Super Cars Ultimate Aero which is MSRP'd at $740,000...

I can't find a price on the wheels individually but I gotta believe that about $2500 each wouldn't be too far off mark.

Somewhat on topic but back in 1989 Carroll Shelby was a pioneer with composite wheels. The 1989 Shelby CSX used a plastic composite wheel designed jointly between Carroll Shelby Wheels and Goodyear's Motor Wheel Corporation. They were called Fiberides and were the first and possibly still the only use of a composite wheel on a production car.

Carroll still talks about these wheels today. In some ways Carroll has always embraced technology but the costs of these Fiberide wheels was just too much compared to the benefits. If I recall correctly the weight savings compared to an aluminum wheel was pretty low. Although I'm sure these new carbonfiber wheels have a much better weight ratio.

Steve

Somewhat on topic but back in 1989 Carroll Shelby was a pioneer with composite wheels. The 1989 Shelby CSX used a plastic composite wheel designed jointly between Carroll Shelby Wheels and Goodyear's Motor Wheel Corporation. They were called Fiberides and were the first and possibly still the only use of a composite wheel on a production car.

Carroll still talks about these wheels today. In some ways Carroll has always embraced technology but the costs of these Fiberide wheels was just too much compared to the benefits. If I recall correctly the weight savings compared to an aluminum wheel was pretty low. Although I'm sure these new carbonfiber wheels have a much better weight ratio.

Steve

i believe they are around 10 pounds each

I am a CF fanatic and a company called BST has been making one piece carbon wheels for motorcycles, I priced a set for my R6 coming close to 4k. I cant imagine how much the set for a car would cost but Pistolwhip sounds about like he has a good idea; I would bet probably the front wheels are between 2.5k and 3k and the rear set are somewhere between 4k and 5.5k. They claim great results for impact testing but I would still be worried considering the price

So how much?

I can't find a price, but considering the Ultimate Aero MSRP is/was $650k. So for giggles, lets ballpark it and say that at $500 (FRPP Catalog) each, a set of wheels on our Shelby list for about 4% of the price of the car. Applying that to the Ultimate Aero would mean that the wheels are about $26000 for the set. So........I guess i was exaggerating by saying they may cost as much as a Shelby. But still, that's pretty steep. But then again, they could only $5000 each. If I hit the Powerball, I'll get a set let everyone know.

Archived