TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question for purchasing GT500

dodgr31

I am new to this forum and looking for an opinion on purchasing the GT500. Like many others, I was placed on a list last year. When I was contacted I declined to purchase because I thought the ADM's were outrageous. I went to my local dealer yesterday and found one I like, ( black w/ tungsten stripes, navigation, shaker 500) I negotiated and learned the best they would do is 13K over sticker, I left frustrated. My question is do you folks think these outrageous premiums are going to stay where they are, or is there any indication around the country they may comedown? I really don't want to buy now and see in 6 months they have come down 5K. I don't have the money to burn, but really want one. I don't plan on ever selling, but I am not wealthy and have a hard time parting with money to line the pockets of the dealerships with. Steve

I think the dealers' sales have slowed because of the winter. However, they have kept their high ADM's from everything I have seen. They are probably hoping the spring will spurn more sales at the higher ADM's. There are fewer for sale on ebay, but they seem to be holding steady around 15k over - some above and some below. One auction ended today with only a $5200 above MSRP bid - although the reserve was not met so it did not sell.

As you will see on the many previous threads on this topic, it always boils down to a personal decision. Those who have paid ADM's are not disappointed with their vehicles, and those who are waiting are waiting with hopes of lower ADM's based on past history with high demand types of vehicles.

Money is a renewable resource - owning a 2007, 2008, (2009) Shelby GT500 by waiting to save some dollars is the risk a person needs to weigh. Do you want a sure thing, or do you want to be patient and take your chances?

It depends on your location. If youre in a thriving market like we are here in Las Vegas, then I highly doubt that you're going to find one for less than 14 or 15K over for quite some time. Spring time is almost upon us here when the bulk of Mustang buyers come out of the woodwork. One of the other stores here in Las Vegas just sold a GT500 vert 2 weeks ago for 30K over! If you find a dealer in a slower market, Id say you may find one between 10K and 15K over, but there's alot of people out there looking for them too in that price range. JMO

It depends on your location. If youre in a thriving market like we are here in Las Vegas, then I highly doubt that you're going to find one for less than 14 or 15K over for quite some time. Spring time is almost upon us here when the bulk of Mustang buyers come out of the woodwork. One of the other stores here in Las Vegas just sold a GT500 vert 2 weeks ago for 30K over! If you find a dealer in a slower market, Id say you may find one between 10K and 15K over, but there's alot of people out there looking for them too in that price range. JMO

+1

I am new to this forum and looking for an opinion on purchasing the GT500. Like many others, I was placed on a list last year. When I was contacted I declined to purchase because I thought the ADM's were outrageous. I went to my local dealer yesterday and found one I like, ( black w/ tungsten stripes, navigation, shaker 500) I negotiated and learned the best they would do is 13K over sticker, I left frustrated. My question is do you folks think these outrageous premiums are going to stay where they are, or is there any indication around the country they may comedown? I really don't want to buy now and see in 6 months they have come down 5K. I don't have the money to burn, but really want one. I don't plan on ever selling, but I am not wealthy and have a hard time parting with money to line the pockets of the dealerships with. Steve

You will love the car.

Steve, I can tell ya that here on the east coast, 13k over is not bad. The average ADM here is between 15k and 20k. The north east were I'm from, the GT500's are sold prior to arriving and once delivered to the dealer, the car is only there for a few hours at most. The demand is high out here. Spring is just around the corner brother, its an awsome car!

One thing that came to thought before I purchased mine was what if I wait till the 08 model. I didn't want to pay a high premium, but once Ford see's what the dealers are getting for these and there are at least two buyers per unit being made what stops Ford from getting a piece of the pie and raising their MSRP for the 08's. If the dealers are making a market adjustment on the 07's true value with their premiums, what stops Ford from increasing their profit on the 08's and raising the MSRP. I know a lot of people who opted and waited because they wanted to see next years deals, but what if the 08 models are it for the GT500's. What happens when there is no next year. What happens if there is no next year and Ford raises their MSRP $10K or higher. Will the dealers still be getting $20-$30K premiums?

What happens if there is no next year and Ford raises their MSRP $10K or higher. Will the dealers still be getting $20-$30K premiums?

No way IMO. If they jack up the MSRP, I think you'll see the same price paid by customers, but the profits will shift from dealers to Ford. I seriously doubt, however, that they would jack the MSRP up THAT much...maybe 3-5% would be my guess....which is about $1,200 - $2,000.

Dave

No way IMO. If they jack up the MSRP, I think you'll see the same price paid by customers, but the profits will shift from dealers to Ford. I seriously doubt, however, that they would jack the MSRP up THAT much...maybe 3-5% would be my guess....which is about $1,200 - $2,000.

Dave

I agree with Mr dave .... mr dave who has ugly stock rims that he CANT WAIT TO GET OFF HIS CAR ... ( inside joke) ...

But seriously .... I think ford will come out with a slight price hike. That wouldnt surprise me. Nothing serious though. Regarding the dealers ... which i am one ... Our dealer didnt gouge our first Shelby customer who was one of better customers. He paid $3000 over ... as did I.

I think all things being equal ... this thread is do u buy the car or not and pay the high ADM fee ? IF you look hard enough u might find a Shelby somewhere between MSRP and 10,000 over .... I think this range is a great price. So ... for the car u want.. the color u want .. for $13,000 over ... it all boils down to personal preference.

If you make the descion that $10,000 isnt bad ... and u have the car u want .. with what it has on it .. for this car .. and not to spend the extra $3000 .... well go for it !

Thats my .02 cents

How many phone calls are you willing to make? I live in Missouri and paid sticker for mine (which I love by the way). There is another dealer not far from me and he has sold two at $12k over. As I understand from talking to relatives in different areas, the ADM's vary by quite a bit.

I will say that I had made up my mind that if I couldn't get mine for sticker, I wasn't buying. I'm not wealthy either and place a great value on my money so I knew that anything over sticker was going to negate purchase for me.

Whatever decision you make, you will enjoy the car. It's a blast to drive.

Good luck to you,

Cobra Boy

I live in Missouri and paid sticker for mine (which I love by the way).

Hey Cobra Boy. Know of any more Missouri dealers that might do MSRP? I'm in Chicago and none of the "Stealers" around me are negotiating so I'm willing to put with a little "winshield time" if I can find one within a decent distance!

Hey Cobra Boy. Know of any more Missouri dealers that might do MSRP? I'm in Chicago and none of the "Stealers" around me are negotiating so I'm willing to put with a little "winshield time" if I can find one within a decent distance!

I got mine in Cinci, OH from Mike Castrucci Ford. I was at an 8-10K adm but that was the best I heard of or found at the time and really still is. I looked all over and couldn't find an MSRP deal in IN, KY, OH, IL or a few other places. Some have but I think they were earlier to the dealer than i was. I found my car on e-bay and called and negotiated a deal I could live with and have not looked back - I actually walked from a few deals that were from 1K - 2.5K over the one I got as I had a number in my head and wouldn't go over it.

I also had a trade (2005 6 cylinder vert mustang) so it took getting all the parts together. Mike Castrucci Ford was easy to deal with, responsive, and lived up to what they said all the way - I got there and watched them put the rear plate on and drove home with all the plastic inside the car still on. I don't know what they have coming to them but I drop them a note evry so often and they always respond. You may try putting in a call to see if they have any type of list - I have to assume not since I basically walked in off the street and bought it.

I think they are actually in Milford OH or something but it's a little suburb on the East/North East side of Cinci, OH.

Good luck

If you can get the car Today then you're smiling now instead of 6 to 12 mths later!

Well if you pay 13K over and you keep the car for 20 yrs. then the F-Tax only ran you

about $ 650 per year over the 20 yr period. BUT you have the color you what and in 20yrs

0 to 60 in 4.5 is still FASTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

I believe in this theory because I,am getting a coupe and a ragtop......

Lets sayyyyyyyyyy its time to roll............Billy

I got mine in Cinci, OH from Mike Castrucci Ford. I was at an 8-10K adm but that was the best I heard of or found at the time and really still is. I looked all over and couldn't find an MSRP deal in IN, KY, OH, IL or a few other places. Some have but I think they were earlier to the dealer than i was. I found my car on e-bay and called and negotiated a deal I could live with and have not looked back - I actually walked from a few deals that were from 1K - 2.5K over the one I got as I had a number in my head and wouldn't go over it.

I also had a trade (2005 6 cylinder vert mustang) so it took getting all the parts together. Mike Castrucci Ford was easy to deal with, responsive, and lived up to what they said all the way - I got there and watched them put the rear plate on and drove home with all the plastic inside the car still on. I don't know what they have coming to them but I drop them a note evry so often and they always respond. You may try putting in a call to see if they have any type of list - I have to assume not since I basically walked in off the street and bought it.

I think they are actually in Milford OH or something but it's a little suburb on the East/North East side of Cinci, OH.

Good luck

Anyone wanting Cincy info/directions, I can help. I lived there for 15 years.

Dave

Archived