TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SS Catalytic Converter Burnout Problem

07SS330

I have less than 5000 miles since my SS conversion and am now having to replace my Catalytic Converter for the second time with less than 3000 miles since the last one was installed. Both of the Cats have been Burnt Out by High Temperature Exhaust. I have a convertible so I was only able to go with the 605 HP package. Tasca that did my conversion has no answers for the issue and recommended talking to Ford Racing since they supplied the package. Ford Racing has no answers and said there is no warranty on this upgrade. I believe that going with the 605 package that I am supposed to stay within my factory warranty. Has anyone else had any issues similar to mine? Any recommendations on how to deal with this issue? I don't think I should have to replace my Catalytic Converter every 3000 miles. I have thought about having this one coated by High Performance Coatings (Ceramic Coating) knowing that it keeps temperatures down and dissipates heat better. Any input or comments would be appreciated! Bob J.

Your Ford factory warranty expired 3years or 36K miles.

I don't think you will be able to powder coat cats.

I purchased the extended warranty 7 Year / 60,000 knowing I would not be putting many miles on the car.

I just checked with HPC on the coating, and they do do the Cats, they also recommended that I have the Exhaust Manifolds done as well to dissipate temperature before it gets to the Cats. It is not a powder coating process but a spray on ceramic metalic coating good to over 1700 degrees. It also enhances the look of the Exhaust System!

I have less than 5000 miles since my SS conversion and am now having to replace my Catalytic Converter for the second time with less than 3000 miles since the last one was installed. Both of the Cats have been Burnt Out by High Temperature Exhaust. I have a convertible so I was only able to go with the 605 HP package. Tasca that did my conversion has no answers for the issue and recommended talking to Ford Racing since they supplied the package. Ford Racing has no answers and said there is no warranty on this upgrade. I believe that going with the 605 package that I am supposed to stay within my factory warranty. Has anyone else had any issues similar to mine? Any recommendations on how to deal with this issue? I don't think I should have to replace my Catalytic Converter every 3000 miles. I have thought about having this one coated by High Performance Coatings (Ceramic Coating) knowing that it keeps temperatures down and dissipates heat better. Any input or comments would be appreciated! Bob J.

How do you know your cats are bad, what symtoms do you have? Did the person that changed the cats the first time give you any kind of warranty? Did you confirm your tune was safe with a dyno when the second set was installed?

I think your 7 year warranty became a 12 mo / 12 K upon SS completion.

How do you know your cats are bad, what symtoms do you have? Did the person that changed the cats the first time give you any kind of warranty? Did you confirm your tune was safe with a dyno when the second set was installed?

I think your 7 year warranty became a 12 mo / 12 K upon SS completion.

Got a check engine light that came on, took it to Dealer for Diagnosis and it pointed to the Cats. When removed you could see they were melted. Replaced by Dealership.

I am trying to get info on the Tune but Tasca and Ford Racing seem to know nothing.

I think I will look into having the car Dyno'd as you state to check. The replacement this time has not been done yet that is why I am asking questions here to get valuable info from great people like you! Thanks, Bob J.

Got a check engine light that came on, took it to Dealer for Diagnosis and it pointed to the Cats. When removed you could see they were melted. Replaced by Dealership.

I am trying to get info on the Tune but Tasca and Ford Racing seem to know nothing.

I think I will look into having the car Dyno'd as you state to check. The replacement this time has not been done yet that is why I am asking questions here to get valuable info from great people like you! Thanks, Bob J.

I would have the dealer warranty the replacement cats, have them put another a new set back in. Unless the first receipt states "No Warranty" then you have a solid claim. After they install the next set have a reputable speed shop that has GT500 experiance put your car on the dyno and check it out.

I'm running a TVS with Evolution tune and have about 2200 miles so far, no issues, knock on wood.

Good Luck,

Blayne

Do you have a copy of that flier or any info on how I can verify that info? Thanks for your help!

i think i know were its at but i also think ur 605 HP SS knocked it down to a 1 year or 12000 mine has 6500 hundred miles on SS EVO tune no problem

i think i know were its at but i also think ur 605 HP SS knocked it down to a 1 year or 12000

The SS upgrade exhaust is a cat back system, so the cats I believe would be covered under the Factory Warranty. If you could get that info it may be helpful to me. Thanks, Bob J.

Do you have a copy of that flier or any info on how I can verify that info? Thanks for your help!

I would go after the replacement cats warranty completed by your Ford dealership. You are on more solid ground with that claim than with the factory warranty that was reduced at completion of the SS package. As far as the factory 5yr / 60,000 mile, it does not apply to your car because of the SS package. Pretty sure a 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty became effective the day the car became an SS and it wouldn't have had any warranty if you had a coupe with the 725 hp package.

I would go after the replacement cats warranty completed by your Ford dealership. You are on more solid ground with that claim than with the factory warranty that was reduced at completion of the SS package. As far as the factory 5yr / 60,000 mile, it does not apply to your car because of the SS package. Pretty sure a 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty became effective the day the car became an SS and it wouldn't have had any warranty if you had a coupe with the 725 hp package.

I belive u are right about warranty that is the way i think it is also

My engine light also came on with the cats code and they said if it comes on again then the cats are bad so a year later the engine light came on again and it was the cat code.

I have an SGT with the whipple 550 and I fried my cats out as well, the dealership replaced them but the douchebag mechanic pushed the exhaust into my bumper and broke the plastic brackets that prevent the bumper from ratteling against the exhaust, needless to say now they had to replace my bumper, stripes and readjust my exhaust by cutting it a little shorter. I was so pissed and was going to do a thread about it on here but since they took care of it I decided not to do it.

Now the new bumper they put on pops out a little by the side marker lights I think the little prick forgot to put all the clips on that hold the bumper tight. Just make sure you double check the tabs on the bumper to see if they broke them.

I also have a 605 SS, and have about 10k on the car since the conversion, and I have not had any issues with my cats burning out. I would defnately have your car dyno'ed in order to check the air-fuel mixuture (rich/lean) to find out why your are going through cats.

For clarity, the 605 SS conversion kept the original factory warranty mileage and time caps intact; and the 12/12 warranty was/is just for the blower, tune, and CAI.

Your cats should still be protected under the federal emmisions systems warranty mandate.

Good luck!

I purchased the extended warranty 7 Year / 60,000 knowing I would not be putting many miles on the car.

I just checked with HPC on the coating, and they do do the Cats, they also recommended that I have the Exhaust Manifolds done as well to dissipate temperature before it gets to the Cats. It is not a powder coating process but a spray on ceramic metalic coating good to over 1700 degrees. It also enhances the look of the Exhaust System!

Actually a Ceramic Coating will keep the heat IN the pipes, which in turn keeps the engine bay cooler (headers) and allows the exhaust gasses to pass through slightly faster.

If you have the cats done it will most likely retain more heat in the cats.

Check your tune.

And it's really F'ING lame that Tasca and Ford Racing aren't giving you any info.

My guess is they don't want to touch it because they don't want to be held liable.

My guess is your tune is off and that's what's causing the cats to melt... fuel is being burnt out of your exhaust and causing a higher temp than you should have.

Forget about warranties when you mod these cars guys. Ford, or whoever can give you the runaround simply because you have a modified supercharger, tune, intake, etc.

What something says on paper and what it is in the real world are two entirely different things.

Hell I couldn't even get the clutch TSB performed on my car that was BONE STOCK. So there ya go.

Find a good Mustang shop near you that you trust and get your tune checked and then just take your car to them.... just my .02 cents :)

I also have a 605 SS, and have about 10k on the car since the conversion, and I have not had any issues with my cats burning out. I would defnately have your car dyno'ed in order to check the air-fuel mixuture (rich/lean) to find out why your are going through cats.

For clarity, the 605 SS conversion kept the original factory warranty mileage and time caps intact; and the 12/12 warranty was/is just for the blower, tune, and CAI.

Your cats should still be protected under the federal emmisions systems warranty mandate.

Good luck!

I stand corrected, again.

Thank you :salute:

To be clear (since you quote the FRPP 605hp package), this is the TVS kit that includes an FRPP tune via the ProCal tuner, correct? If so, it is about as fat a tune as you are going to see. Do you have any other mods? If so, it may be that the tune no longer matches the parts you are using...

Tob

How do you know your cats are bad, what symtoms do you have? Did the person that changed the cats the first time give you any kind of warranty? Did you confirm your tune was safe with a dyno when the second set was installed? I think your 7 year warranty became a 12 mo / 12 K upon SS completion.

My 07 GT500 came with a 5 year or 60,000 ford sent a flyer out later that year

i think i know were its at but i also think ur 605 HP SS knocked it down to a 1 year or 12000 mine has 6500 hundred miles on SS EVO tune no problem

The extended warranty might not cover the drive train, but it might cover other components: ie. electrical, possibly brakes...etc. Ford has to "prove" that the mods were the cause. If the warranty is void it should be prorated and they need to cut a check. I'd go back to Tasca since they did the mod. One would think they'd make good on the conversion. Good luck

Actually a Ceramic Coating will keep the heat IN the pipes, which in turn keeps the engine bay cooler (headers) and allows the exhaust gasses to pass through slightly faster.

If you have the cats done it will most likely retain more heat in the cats.

+1

+1

I agree. Cats should be covered under factory warranty. Call the Ford SVT hotline.

If Ford and or the Ford dealer does not warranty, I have an extra set of stock oem cats with approx 3K miles on them. I would sell them to you at a fair and reasonable price.

Archived