TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Couple questions for current owners

Randy M

I've been considering GT500's and may buy a GT500 or Boss 302 in the not too distant future. I'll likely wait for 2012 as they have the Recaros available for both as well as the torsen diff. I'm slightly apprehensive though. I read about the 1-2 shift grind, and the misaligned rear bumper, drivetrain noises etc. I know every car has it's problems but I'm wondering if you all are satisfied with putting down your hard earned cash for one?

Is Ford and the dealers treating you well when you have problems with the car? Are they honoring their warranty? How's the overall integrity of the car, fit and finish etc? I'm looking for a very solid car, one that feels like it could take anything you ask it to. Do you feel like you need to be delicate with it or the clutch is going to blow, or the brakes are going to warp? Everyone has different expectations but I'd like to know if you're happy with it?

I've also inquired about a GT500 at a few local dealers and I don't think they're quite used to selling to informed consumers as the BS just spews out of their mouths without hesitation. Those tactics may work when you're selling a Fiesta to someone who's just looking for reliable transportation but when it starts flying my way they lose all credibilty because I will simply not deal with anyone who's dishonest. I've never had to deal with quite the type of sales tactics that I've experienced at these two dealers before. After all this I'm taking my time pondering whether or not I should buy a Ford. I've never bought a new one but I've had two '70 Boss 302's before and I've always been a fan of 67-70's and now the 2010's onward. I'd like to help our economy here at home and get out of foreign products but they gotta treat me well if they're going to get my money.

There are some good guys on TS who work for dealers and some TS members who have had good experiences with dealers. Where I live the sales guys and the service guys are all full of it. You will end up knowing much more than any of them ever will.

It is a great car to own and lot of fun!! I just don't expect any support or service form my ford dealers. I go to see them to buy oil only. as far a repairs I would not take my wagon to get fixed by the ford guys in my town!!

Just my opinion though

I'm slightly apprehensive though. I read about the 1-2 shift grind, and the misaligned rear bumper, drivetrain noises etc. I know every car has it's problems but I'm wondering if you all are satisfied with putting down your hard earned cash for one?

Is Ford and the dealers treating you well when you have problems with the car? Are they honoring their warranty? How's the overall integrity of the car, fit and finish etc? I'm looking for a very solid car, one that feels like it could take anything you ask it to. Do you feel like you need to be delicate with it or the clutch is going to blow, or the brakes are going to warp? Everyone has different expectations but I'd like to know if you're happy with it?

I have ~4500 miles on my 2011 SVTPP, purchased 6/5/10, daily driver. I have a couple of odd noises but no significant issues - no 1-2 grind, no misaligned bumper.

On the '12 I hadn't heard that it was coming with a torsen diff, but if that's true then a major source of noise is gone (clutches in the diff make a terrible groaning going around slow sharp turns, but the torsen doesn't use clutches, so that's solved).

Overall I have no regrets. Haven't been back to the dealer for anything, so cannot comment on warranty service.

I've been considering GT500's and may buy a GT500 or Boss 302 in the not too distant future. I'll likely wait for 2012 as they have the Recaros available for both as well as the torsen diff. I'm slightly apprehensive though. I read about the 1-2 shift grind, and the misaligned rear bumper, drivetrain noises etc. I know every car has it's problems but I'm wondering if you all are satisfied with putting down your hard earned cash for one?

I've also inquired about a GT500 at a few local dealers and I don't think they're quite used to selling to informed consumers as the BS just spews out of their mouths without hesitation. Those tactics may work when you're selling a Fiesta to someone who's just looking for reliable transportation but when it starts flying my way they lose all credibilty because I will simply not deal with anyone who's dishonest. I've never had to deal with quite the type of sales tactics that I've experienced at these two dealers before. After all this I'm taking my time pondering whether or not I should buy a Ford. I've never bought a new one but I've had two '70 Boss 302's before and I've always been a fan of 67-70's and now the 2010's onward. I'd like to help our economy here at home and get out of foreign products but they gotta treat me well if they're going to get my money.

Just had mine a week, so I'll give you my first impressions. This is the first American car I've owned in 12 years. I freaking love it. It's definitely not "delicate" feeling. At all. In fact, it feels very solid. Very firm handling. Really holds the road and gives you the feeling of confidence. It's way better handling, or at least feels so than my Infiniti G35 was. And that was damn good! The fit and finish seem really impressive. You give up a little luxury items (homelink), but overall, it's worth it. This car is fun to drive and really feels confident on the road. The steering is very nice, very well calibrated. Very level into turns. I've taken corners (not turns, corners, 90 degrees) without braking in third gear and without any feeling of give or push. Never felt like the car was going to come around at all. The surprising part is that it doesn't push like I sort of expected it too either. My first impressions of this car is that it can take what you can give it. The interior is really nice as well. Surprisingly quiet given the type of car. I'm just impressed with it. For the record, I considered and drove the G37 and the A5/S5. Granted, they are different, but to me, they were comparable. In the end, I feel like giving up a little on luxury was worth the performance. The sound is incomparable. The quality does seem to be very good. Of course, time will tell.

I absolutely loved mine, but it just didn't fit me as I was paranoid about getting my $50k car out of the garage. Hence the reason I no longer own it. However, the car was solid as hell. I have the 1-2 grind problem, but I think they're getting that figured out and it wouldn't have been a big deal. The car was absolutely amazing to drive though. You won't be disappointed at all.

I presently have 2 GT 500s and love them. I've had the '11 SVT Vert now since June and have 13,000 miles on it. The clutch went out @ 4900 miles, Ford replaced it in about 5 hours full coverage no questions asked. There is a TSB out for steering reprograming, took in in and in 30 minutes out the door again, no questions asked, no charge. I love driving the car as it's my daily driver. The car has way more capabilities than I have skills to handle it, but that's not the car's fault. Fit and trim are flawless. Buy one, you'll love it!!!happy%20feet.gifhappy%20feet.gif

I have a 2011 with the SVT PP. It's the first Shelby I've owned and in fact it's my first car. I drive it like I stole it on occasion but most of the time I control the urges. And urges you'll get. This thing OOOOOZES power. A little blip on the accelerator is all I need to get a smile on my face. I have no 1-2 grind, I have almost 12,000 km on my car as it's my daily driver. No bumper alignment issues. The only complaint I have is the squeaking from the diff as was mentioned above. It's worse on some days, on others it's completely gone. I've only had to bring it to the dealership to get an oil change but they're pretty helpful there (atleast right now). They were very good about doing some modification work for me on the navigation system to get the rear camera to work (something I've been fiddling with for a while). They did it at no charge.

As for fit an finish, I love it. I'd have loved if there was more leather and less plastic, but this is a mustang not a Ferrari. The alcantara is great, the seats feel like a glove on the body and hold you in place on those nice tight turns - the SVTPP lets you pull those babies off nicely (though I haven't compared to the 2010). The interior is pretty slick and I am pretty much always entertained while driving it. As it was my first rear wheel drive car and first supercharged car, it took some getting used to the power. Hammering it can be scary at times.

As a final note, this car takes all the abuse I've been able to give it (even though I baby it like it's my own son) and there hasn't been anything that I've felt this car couldn't do. I'd seriously give the 2011 or 2012 a good test drive along with the 302... both are going to be awesome rides and awesomely different rides. I hear the 302 handles like an M3 and has power to boot as well. Could be a verrrrry nice alternative. I'd have almost considered that one except Shelby is the name I get behind and as my first car, it will always be the one sitting in my garage. I know a lot of people that had amazing first cars and sold them.... this thing is staying with me for life.

Thanks for the comments. To get a better understanding of ownership you have to talk to owners and it sounds like many of you have no regrets whatsoever.

I just recently sold my '08 RS4 and am admittedly having very bad sellers remorse. Everything about the car was quality but the excitement I had for the car when I first bought it had faded. The car did understeer a fair bit and that always bugged me. I was glad to hear about Ford using an aluminum block in the '11s as it's undoubtedly helped the weight distribution. This time around I've sworn to get something forced injected as well.

Thanks for the comments. To get a better understanding of ownership you have to talk to owners and it sounds like many of you have no regrets whatsoever.

I just recently sold my '08 RS4 and am admittedly having very bad sellers remorse. Everything about the car was quality but the excitement I had for the car when I first bought it had faded. The car did understeer a fair bit and that always bugged me. I was glad to hear about Ford using an aluminum block in the '11s as it's undoubtedly helped the weight distribution. This time around I've sworn to get something forced injected as well.

if you want to talk to a serius dealer, contact Michael Morris on this forum--hes here in ga but sells lots of Shelbys all over the country--i know he sold one to a TS member in Wash state

I haven't owned my '11 vert long enough to provide you with any significant feedback on the issues you've asked about, but I will give you my first impressions. I love this car and haven't been able to quit smiling since I bought it. I smile when I start the engine, I smile when I'm stopped by a traffic light (provided I'm at the front of the line), I smile when I accelerate through S-curves, and I smile when friends, coworkers and random strangers stare at my car. Hell, I'm smiling as I type this.

I haven't had any issues with the 1-2 shift or heard any questionable drivetrain noises, but again, I've only owned it for a short time. Finally, I don't think of the car as delicate at all. I sort of think of it as an anvil... a screaming, adrenaline pumping, 550hp anvil.

I have had my car for a couple of weeks now. My car background has mostly been German and Japanese sports cars like the 911, M3 and GT-R.

So far I have been impressed with the fit and finish of the GT500. It is definitely a lot of fun to drive, but I do sometimes miss the more sophisticated suspension of my past cars on the crappy roads around here. I also am still struggling with getting a decent launch from a stop. The Ford requires more from its driver than something like the GT-R, but for me that is part of the fun.

With all that said I imagine that after a year or so playing with my '11 GT500 with the SVTPP I will end up back in another German sports sedan like the M3 or C63 AMG. My kids will be too big to squeeze in the back of a coupe soon so a sedan will give me more opportunities to drive my fun car.

Good luck with your decision. If you are thinking Boss you might want to start calling dealers. Two dealers I spoke to already have had folks calling wanting to put down deposits even though no official pricing has been released.

First and foremost I love Mustangs. I've never considered myself a Ford guy vs. GM vs. Dodge, though at this point I would only consider Ford for an American made vehicle.

For me, Shelby was the pinnacle of my Mustang wish list, though if I had enough room I would own more than just the two 'stangs that I have. Having owned a 2006 GT (which was an awesome car), the GT500 is a significant step up in performance, experience, and handling.

I can't wait to see the Boss 302's on the road. The GT350's too. I will be drooling over the the GT's and I'd love to get a new V6 as another daily driver. I don't think you will go wrong in either case between the Boss and GT500...just depends on your budget I guess. They are both going to be lookers.

The Shelby is an attention getter, though with the stripe delete it seems to attract respectful nods from other "mid life crsis" admirers vs. "ricky racers" wanting to drag race from stop light to stop light.

The only issue I've had in the 6 weeks I've owned the GT500 is the rear bumper "flanging" out which was easily fixed by the dealer. The 2nd gear grind happened twice when I first got it. A minor adjustment in my technique was needed...the short throw took me a couple weeks to get used to overall and until I'm comfortable with the 6 speed I won't be speed shifting. It's still not natural, especially switching between this and my 5 speed GT.

Have fun deciding and whichever way you go will be the right decision!

I have a 2011 with the SVT PP. It's the first Shelby I've owned and in fact it's my first car. I drive it like I stole it on occasion but most of the time I control the urges. And urges you'll get. This thing OOOOOZES power. A little blip on the accelerator is all I need to get a smile on my face. I have no 1-2 grind, I have almost 12,000 km on my car as it's my daily driver. No bumper alignment issues. The only complaint I have is the squeaking from the diff as was mentioned above. It's worse on some days, on others it's completely gone. I've only had to bring it to the dealership to get an oil change but they're pretty helpful there (atleast right now). They were very good about doing some modification work for me on the navigation system to get the rear camera to work (something I've been fiddling with for a while). They did it at no charge.

As for fit an finish, I love it. I'd have loved if there was more leather and less plastic, but this is a mustang not a Ferrari. The alcantara is great, the seats feel like a glove on the body and hold you in place on those nice tight turns - the SVTPP lets you pull those babies off nicely (though I haven't compared to the 2010). The interior is pretty slick and I am pretty much always entertained while driving it. As it was my first rear wheel drive car and first supercharged car, it took some getting used to the power. Hammering it can be scary at times.

As a final note, this car takes all the abuse I've been able to give it (even though I baby it like it's my own son) and there hasn't been anything that I've felt this car couldn't do. I'd seriously give the 2011 or 2012 a good test drive along with the 302... both are going to be awesome rides and awesomely different rides. I hear the 302 handles like an M3 and has power to boot as well. Could be a verrrrry nice alternative. I'd have almost considered that one except Shelby is the name I get behind and as my first car, it will always be the one sitting in my garage. I know a lot of people that had amazing first cars and sold them.... this thing is staying with me for life.

Just curious after 12,000 km what your tires are like? I just turned 5,000 miles and watching closely. I've put probably 30 laps on a road course and some slalom course action.

Thanks

Randy

Just curious after 12,000 km what your tires are like? I just turned 5,000 miles and watching closely. I've put probably 30 laps on a road course and some slalom course action.

Thanks

Randy

To be honest, as it's my first car... I don't even know what to look for... It doesn't hold as steady as it used to but it still grips pretty good. If you help me with what I should be looking for I can give you a better answer... Still a newbie :)

Archived