TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Retrobuilt "Shelby" GT500CS - is it really a Shelby?

PaulW

Hi Folks,

First off, I'm not posting this to stir up any debate about Shelbys vs others or which Shelby is better or is a clone a good investment (for some reason I feel I need to post that disclaimer after some prior exchanges).

Anyway, I came across this site a while back and wanted to get folks thoughts on the car. The company, Retrobuilt, states that they are an "official licensee of Shelby Automobiles, Inc." and that each car they build gets a Shelby dash plaque and is in the Shelby registry. They state that their car has been designated by SAI as the "Shelby GT500CS." Apparently they take a S197 Mustang and modify it for about $38k into a retro looking Shelby. I'd have to see one in person to comment on the look and I have no idea about the fit and finish but the models shown in the pictures look to be finished well. Has anyone seen one of these in person? Are they really Shelbys and in the registry? Its hard to tell what version of the S197 they will convert (i.e. can a V6 be converted) or might they limit them to just existing Shelby GT500. They also make a Mach 1 (how I originally found the site) and a Boss 302 version. I don't know if its allowed to be posted here but their website is just retrobuilt.com. I think they have copyrights on their stuff or else I post some pics here.

I may be the last to know about this and, if so, just point me toward the prior discussion thread. I'm also glad they don't offer a KR version (but maybe thats next).

Hey, thanks for the post.

As for the site, I confess to not knowing anything about it. I'll check into it and report back what I find.

EDIT to add: I just checked the site quickly. It seems they convert S197 Mustangs into retro 1969 Shelby models. The cars do look pretty good if you ask me. When I have some free time, I'll check into it further.

I would think if they can appear in the Shelby Registy, then they are indeed Shelby's.

It follows also, therefore, that there should be a forum section here on Team Shelby for them.

:lurk:

I don't get me wrong, but looks to me more similar to a AMC Javelin. A little to "Puffy" lookng up front.

But I do beleive it would be a smooth riding 69-70's looking car, just not for me.

Creative thinking.

I've seen them too and they appear to be a very well built car. A lot of thought and engineering went in to producing these retros. And, they are authorized by Shelby American. If somebody wanted something different, smaller than the originals, with modern technology, I can see where there would be a market for these cars.

I've seen them too and they appear to be a very well built car. A lot of thought and engineering went in to producing these retros. And, they are authorized by Shelby American. If somebody wanted something different, smaller than the originals, with modern technology, I can see where there would be a market for these cars.

They are very well done I seen them at Tulsa, after the cruise we all parked our cars and had a little car show and that is when I noticed these cars. I thought they were the real deal until I came up and looked in the window and saw our interiors I was totally floored and really liked the cars. Its a great idea and would be fun to do to one.

Archived