TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT's to Canada?

Joe Frito

Can anyone tell me if the Shelby GT will be coming to Canada? I can't seem to get any definate answers, and there were only 400 GT500 in Canada in '07.

The Shelby GT is not being brought to Canada. It has not been subjected to Canadian crash testing which would likely be required since the car is lowered 1.5 inches by Shelby.

As far as the GT500 goes, each Canadian SVT dealer of which there are 25 or 27 gets 15 cars for 2007.

The Shelby GT is not being brought to Canada. It has not been subjected to Canadian crash testing which would likely be required since the car is lowered 1.5 inches by Shelby.

As far as the GT500 goes, each Canadian SVT dealer of which there are 25 or 27 gets 15 cars for 2007.

That's too bad, as it is impossible to get a GT500. The '07's are sold out, and the '08's are supposed to be oversold as well. I thought the GT would make a nice alternative.

That's too bad, as it is impossible to get a GT500. The '07's are sold out, and the '08's are supposed to be oversold as well. I thought the GT would make a nice alternative.

Still '07's available in Canada, but at ridiculous dealer markups. You could probably do a search on SVT dealers in Canada and just make some calls - I would be surprised if you can't get on a list somewhere for 08. I agree the GT would have been a nice car to have available to us but other than the Shelby name and their trim pieces you could easily take a Calif Special and add the FRPP handling pack and performance pack to the car and have the same thing essentially.

`Joe ` There are 27 S.V.T dealers in Canada & each got 15 -07 Shelbys = 405

If Your interested on getting on alist for 08` I maybe able to help let me know

`Joe ` There are 27 S.V.T dealers in Canada & each got 15 -07 Shelbys = 405

If Your interested on getting on alist for 08` I maybe able to help let me know

Yes. I would appreciate your help. I have talked to 2 different dealers regarding '08 and they both said that all '07's are gone and they have a deep waiting list for their total '08 allocations.

I can't see why lowering the car would make a difference on crash testing. The front bumper and lower facia are the same as the CS-GT, so there must be another reason.

I can't see why lowering the car would make a difference on crash testing. The front bumper and lower facia are the same as the CS-GT, so there must be another reason.

The front and rear fascias are the same as the GT/CS, however Shelby installs the FRPP handling pack which lowers the car an inch in the front and one and a half inches in the rear. The real issue is not whether or not it would pass crash testing (it probably would), the issue is that no one will certify that it would and meet other CMVSS. Transport Canada views the car as an incomplete unit from Ford as it is sent to Shelby for upfitting. In order to be allowed entry into Canada it is necessary for the upfitter to certify that whatever components are added or alterations made will meet CMVSS. Shelby can not do that simply because they do not know for certain that the vehicle would be in compliance without being tested. Furthermore, there is no real reason for Shelby to go through the trouble as I suspect they are at capacity of what they can convert for the US market (6000 cars).

If you are a bit of a gambler, you can just go to a dealer in the US and buy a car and try to convince Transport Canada that it is really just a Mustang. You may get lucky. Personally I'd love to have a Shelby GT but I can't afford to gamble with $40,000 US or thereabouts. The downside is that you would have to resell or keep the car in the US.

• 2 months later...
I`am not sure that would work.

Well- is it any different that mod'ing your car yourself? Do people who mod their cars have to go and get them inspected? I've never heard of that.

Admitedly it would probably be a huge hassle AND expense. And in the end it probably isn't worth it.

Well- is it any different that mod'ing your car yourself? Do people who mod their cars have to go and get them inspected? I've never heard of that.

Admitedly it would probably be a huge hassle AND expense. And in the end it probably isn't worth it.

Why go through the trouble, unless you just want the Shelby trim and be in the registry. Furthermore, you can't spec a GT with the correct option codes without it being a "Shelby GT". For example, the GT's that are destined to be Shelby GT's have the California Special front and rear bumper fascias.

As far as performance mods go, all the parts that Shelby uses (suspension, exhaust, CAI, shifter) are available at your local FRPP dealer in Canada. Even if you have the dealer do all the install you should still be under $5k Canadian.

As I said it's probably not worth the expense and hassle. It's just too bad Shelby is leaving Canadians high and dry. I think most of us would love to have something built and registered with Shelby.

Yes you can probably make a clone and perhaps make it cheaper- but I think it would be nice to own a little piece of automotive history.

08 will see me getting a Bullitt or getting another GT. It doesn't look like Canadians will be able to buy a reasonably priced AND available Shelby- which the SGT is.

Archived