TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Any one have Ford GT cams in their GT500

dingo2008

Does anyone have Ford GT cams in their GT500 and if so what hp gains did you get from just cams and tune and is it worth the cost of the cams, putting them in and tuning it. Thanks

yes and no. you better off with a pulley ,TB and tune upgrade

Complete waste of money...spend it elseware....I have done 2 cars with them and never gained more than 23 RWHP with lots of tuning... most of the power was from the tuning. Even though I got them for free both times for testing, I would not do the swap again....if you are paying for them, you are REALLY wasting your money for the $$ to power gain.

Alex

Complete waste of money...spend it elseware....I have done 2 cars with them and never gained more than 23 RWHP with lots of tuning... most of the power was from the tuning. Even though I got them for free both times for testing, I would not do the swap again....if you are paying for them, you are REALLY wasting your money for the $$ to power gain.

Alex

Did the cams at least give it the old school sound?

would the 72mm one be too big if its a stock motor with cai pulley exhaust and tune?

The CAI pulley and tune are going to give you the biggest jump in HP. Without upgrading the cooling systems on these cars, all the high horse power mods are pointless.

Not speaking from expirience but these forums are great and you pick up alot of knowledge.

The CAI pulley and tune are going to give you the biggest jump in HP. Without upgrading the cooling systems on these cars, all the high horse power mods are pointless.

Not speaking from expirience but these forums are great and you pick up alot of knowledge.

Not necessarily true. Unless you are in really hot weather and beating on the car, tracking it regularly or dragging it, the stock H/E is ok for day to day driving. I have the VMP 2.6 pulley, JLT CAI and a tune making 560 rwhp and tracked the car all day at Infineon in August and had no heat soak issues. It was only 75 degrees, but the car never lost any Noticeable power. Yes, upgrading the cooling is a good idea, but the high horse power mods are absolutely not pointless without it.

Jim

If you are leaving the stock blower on for now no need for the 72mm from L&M, the 66 would do just fine. I have one on my car without a tune and it runs perfectly.

as for the gt cams, its really not worth putting them on with a stock blower. if you were planning on doing an allum block upgrade down the road then i would say yes while the motor is out. the sound like stock and there is a 30hp gain. may gain a little more with a twin screw plus gt cams. and last if you have the heads off the car they say changine all the valve springs ect, with gt cams gains the most. but all in all its very expensive

best bet, get a tvs, 66 l&m t/b, cai,and a tune and you will get roughly 625 to the rear wheels at about 4000 bucks, and still hae some room to grow with different pullies, inj, headers, and lower pulley will get you close to 700rwhp

Yeah not looking for crazy numbers but 600 to 650rwhp would be nice some day, really just wanted cai, pulley and tune soon to get closer to that 560 for now, not looking to spend a lot yet since I just bought the car. Would like to pay on it for a year or two then buy bigger things. But would be nice if I could get 600 to 630rwhp with stock blower

I think you can get 600 with the stock blower by sending it out to stegmier and have them port it. but for me if you are going to spend the money to have it taken off, put on, might as well go with a twin screw. a whipple 2.9 is more than what you would need and get to 700 with out any issues

• 1 year later...

*Get a vmp 2.3l s/c and high flow elbow, or a frpp 2.3 s/c with the vmp high flow elbow and minorly port the bottom corner of the frpp s/c

*stay with a cj 65mm throttle body from frpp

$610 from tousley ford

* cold air is a must, jlt cf big air

$450 from jlt

*long tube headers is a must, arh or kooks since your goin for 640rwhp do 1 3/4" with high flow cats

$1500 from shelbystore.com

*even if your in new jersey, atleast get a steeda he, otherwise shelby dual fan or afco

$790 evo or leathelperformance

*you do this and you'll easily be just under 700rwhp

*get 3:73 to make it easier on the drive train, then you could even do a light drive shaft, if you have a 07 get the newer crank dampner too

Archived