TEAM SHELBY FORUM

You Don't Have To Be A Braves Fan....

I am a lifelong baseball fan, although after the strike in the 80's I stayed away for a long period.

IMHO, there are a few guys that come along on and OFF the field that change sport for the better.....

I have an immense amount of respect for what Bobby Cox has done down in Atlanta! Although I was mostly a Dodger fan as a kid, and then didn't really care as an adult much for any specific team, I respect guys for their contributions on all teams. Bobby Cox had a way of 'pickin' at ya...sorta like the Yankees do. They just keep comin' at ya, pulling plays out of mid-air. Bobby was the spearhead for all that magic...he will be missed by the team, the town, and the league!

:salute:

JMHO Bikeboy

I am a lifelong baseball fan, although after the strike in the 80's I stayed away for a long period.

IMHO, there are a few guys that come along on and OFF the field that change sport for the better.....

I have an immense amount of respect for what Bobby Cox has done down in Atlanta! Although I was mostly a Dodger fan as a kid, and then didn't really care as an adult much for any specific team, I respect guys for their contributions on all teams. Bobby Cox had a way of 'pickin' at ya...sorta like the Yankees do. They just keep comin' at ya, pulling plays out of mid-air. Bobby was the spearhead for all that magic...he will be missed by the team, the town, and the league!

JMHO Bikeboy

Didnt know him but baseball is a sport that is very money driven and no longer competative

JMHO Bikeboy

He was a players manager as well. He even tipped a few with the boys in the old days. Sorry to see him go but I'm sure enjoying the Giants. (for now)

Wasn't he busted for beating his wife? I know the criminal charges were dropped but regardless of the guys on field success it's hard to think too highly of anyone that would batter their wife. Just my opinion.

Honestly, I never heard that story.......if accurate, I would have to withdraw my previous comment.........

off the field or not, that behavior is not acceptable under any circumstances! :salute:

Here it is from Wiki:

Personal life

In May 1995, police were called to the home of Bobby and Pamela Cox in northwest Atlanta, Georgia. Pamela Cox told the police that her husband struck her. Bobby Cox was charged under Georgia's Domestic Violence Act[7] with simple battery. He was accused of punching his wife and pulling her hair.[8] In a court settlement, Pamela Cox was instructed by the judge to attend a battered women's program and Bobby Cox was told to complete violence counseling and an alcohol evaluation.[9] The criminal charges against Bobby Cox were dismissed, and he was not punished by Major League Baseball or the Atlanta Braves for the incident.

He recognized his mistake and took actions to resolve it. Since that time, he has been an outstanding citizen. I think we can foregive him for a mistake that he corrected, although as directed by the courts. There are millions of people who make this same mistake and does nothing to fix it. My hat goes off to Bobby Cox for all his accomplishments in life and in baseball. He will truely be missed.

Didnt know him but baseball is a sport that is very money driven and no longer competative

Yes and the Dodgers are a prime example.

The McCourts have ruined the teams ability

to compete by leveraging them to finance

Their selfishness. No big surprise that Torre

has had enough. But most Dodger Fans are

happy with $11.00 cups of Beer........ "SHMUCKS".........

Archived