TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Skyline Drive, Shenandoah Natl Park, VA, 24 Oct

stpracer43

VA, WV, DC, MD, DE Team Shelby members,

How about a picnic on Sunday, 24 Oct along Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park? Fall foliage color change should be well above 50% and the temps may still be moderate in the mid 60s. So, let's add our own Shelby colors to the mix!

Why a "picnic" versus a car cruise? There's an additional $200 special use permit required for car cruises and such... However, a group of like-minded friends having a picnic at one of the first-come, first serve picnic sites only costs you the $15 per car entry fee...

For those unfamiliar, see the attached link. Skyline Drive begins just south of Front Royal, VA (off I-66 West at Exit 6). The drive can be the full 105 miles exiting at the south end near I-64 and Charlottesville, or cut it short at 65+ and 30+ miles, exiting the park at alternate locations. Considering the speed limit is 35 mph on the Skyline, the full length would take about 3.5 hours plus any stops.

Skyline Drive Maps

The picnic (meet-n-greet) could be a full scale burger burn, lite hors d'oerves, or BYO style before getting on the road. Whatever the majority is interested in doing. We'd need a rabbit(s) to arrive early enough at one of the picnic venues to claim our spot, and then be able to communicate that location to everyone else. (If we all caravan in together they'll call us a car cruise...).

I haven't personally driven Skyline yet, so suggestions from anyone who has experience cruising Skyline before is certainly welcome. I'm suggesting a Sunday thinking the traffic might be a little less... Oh, alternate weather date could be either Saturday, 23 Oct or 30 Oct.

Okay, let me hear whose up for it!

Keith

Wow... thought I'd have some takers on this.

guess all you local Shelby owners are football fans too... No takers for a Sunday drive on Skyline... bummer.

Still hearing crickets on this one....

Looks like this Saturday, 23 Oct will be better than Sun (showers forecasted).

My wife and I will be making the drive, so if anyone wants to join us, let me know.

Keith

Heading out toward Skyline around 1030 today, should be in the park between 1130 and 1200. Do have another Shelby owner joining us! So we'll have some company at least.

Anyone else want to join in?

Here are some pics of our Skyline Drive :shift: this past Saturday. Absolutely perfect weather, the colors are still coming in, but still a great day. The '08 Vapor Shelby belongs to Tim in Manassas...

Would have enjoyed having a few more cars -- maybe next time!

Skyline Drive Cruise, 23 Oct 10

Here are some pics of our Skyline Drive :shift: this past Saturday. Absolutely perfect weather, the colors are still coming in, but still a great day. The '08 Vapor Shelby belongs to Tim in Manassas...

Would have enjoyed having a few more cars -- maybe next time!

Skyline Drive Cruise, 23 Oct 10

stpracer43,

Great pictures! Weather looks like it was perfect. Thanks for sharing.

• 3 months later...

keep posting Im in hampton va ...missed you run did it me and the misses just us will be watching for the next one ...jim

Will do Jim, I'm sure we'll plan something for this year as well. Keith

Archived