TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New owner many questions

jumpincactus

Hey all new owner new to the board. What I am trying to do is get as many questions I have answered in one post rather than take days and numerous post's and searching, so here is a list of quetions I need help with.

1 My GT 500 has solid brembo 14" rotors upfront. All the pics I saw prior to purchase showed cross drilled rotors whats up with the solid rotors on mine?

2 Again, from pics I saw online the rear of the car showed Shelby stretched across the trunk lid. Mine has a small Shely badge on the upper left hand corner. Is the badge supposed to run all the way across the deck

3 I must say after trading my 03 Cobra I am more than a little disappointed with the handling of the GT. The dang thing rode like it was glued to rails. What can be done to give the GT 500 improved handling for aggressive street ride.

4 Have been drooling aver the Razors on Shelby web site. Can they be had without changing the tire width especially on the rears.

5 Is the suspension kit with the sway bars, dampers, coilovers and panhard bar worth the dinero 1,700.00 from Shelbys site or is there a better package that I can get to improve ride quaility.

6. Last but not least, Do any of you have the Borla,s that are available the circular ones and how do they sound compared to stock? I ran Borlas on my 03 Cobra and they sounded sweeeeet.

Im sure I will have more questions later on but this is a good start any help/input will be appreciated.

Hey all new owner new to the board. What I am trying to do is get as many questions I have answered in one post rather than take days and numerous post's and searching, so here is a list of quetions I need help with.

Im sure I will have more questions later on but this is a good start any help/input will be appreciated.

SCGT answered your first two questions. On the remainder, I can't answer since I'm a "straight line" guy...and am not looking to modify my car for corner handling. Others will chime in. On the exhaust, mine is stock to this point, so I can't help here either.

Enjoy your car.

Dave

6. Last but not least, Do any of you have the Borla,s that are available the circular ones and how do they sound compared to stock? I ran Borlas on my 03 Cobra and they sounded sweeeeet.

I had an '03 Cobra convertible myself. I had flowmasters on it, and I have the FRRP/Borlas on my Shelby GT500. No matter what mufflers you put on your Shelby, it will never sound like your Cobra did. Your Cobra had tailpipes, your Shelby does not. The fact that the mufflers are now in the very back, without tailpipes, I believe is why I have not heard any Shelbys that sounded anything like an '03/'04 Cobra. I'd venture to guess though, that you will like the Borla Axlebacks on your Shelby though......I know I do.

thanx for the help so far fellas keep on chiming in I know I asked a lot of questions but hey what can I say:) You can trash my thread anytime you want..................

Welcome.

A friend of mine on this site putnamdo just got the Borlas on his GT500 and loves them. I will find his post for you and post it here.

Welcome newbie!

I liked my Borlas but I like em alot more since I went witht the Stainless Works off-road pipes and off-road x-pipe..... makes it sound REAL! Not everyone appreciates them like I do though (unfortunately for them)... but I would venture to say that 98% of the folks that have commented on my exhaust loved the sound... a few said it was a bit too loud for their taste.

I think a car with 600 hp should sound like it has 600 hp... LOUD AND PROUD!!

Welcome to the Shelby GT600+ owners kingdom and welcome to the forum too!!

I'll try to answer a few as I am more of a corner carver than a straight line guy.

For the muffler/tailpipes, I had a full Bassani exhaust on my 98 Vortec Cobra. Installed the SLP loudmouth pipes on the Shelby as I did not feel the Borla/Ford Racing had the sound I wanted. I am 43 and did not want boy racer loud but did want a healthy exhaust note that sounded like the car had an attitude. The SLPs sound great and are still quieter than my 98 with Bassani exhaust. With the cats so close to the manifold and the factory 2.5" x pipe and long tail pipes, going without a mufler is really not loud. The SLP double wall SS tips look great too and fit very well.

On the suspension, I agree the factory suspenson needs some upgrades. But it is better than my 98 was stock. I am starting with upper and lower control arms/bushings to eliminate wheel hop on acceloration out of a corner. I plan to lower at least the rear of the vehicle once I decide on the tire and wheel combo. Will decide on panhard bar etc at that time as well as better shocks and struts. Had Koni SPSS dual adjustables on the 98 and loved them but time marches on.....

I do think you can do better than what Shelby is currently offering suspension wise as they do not build it, they are reselling the Ford Racing components.

Hope this helped some.

Enjoy the new car.

1 My GT 500 has solid brembo 14" rotors upfront. All the pics I saw prior to purchase showed cross drilled rotors whats up with the solid rotors on mine?

2 Again, from pics I saw online the rear of the car showed Shelby stretched across the trunk lid. Mine has a small Shely badge on the upper left hand corner. Is the badge supposed to run all the way across the deck

3 I must say after trading my 03 Cobra I am more than a little disappointed with the handling of the GT. The dang thing rode like it was glued to rails. What can be done to give the GT 500 improved handling for aggressive street ride.

4 Have been drooling aver the Razors on Shelby web site. Can they be had without changing the tire width especially on the rears.

5 Is the suspension kit with the sway bars, dampers, coilovers and panhard bar worth the dinero 1,700.00 from Shelbys site or is there a better package that I can get to improve ride quaility.

Welcome,

Last week I had the opportunity to hear a pair of FRPP axle backs on a 07 GT that belongs to a guy in my National Guard unit. Deep rumble at idle. When he rolls up along side of another car, they can feel his presence. The only install issue is the band clamps. I ordered a set for my GT500. Have not heard the Borla's other than a sound track but they sounded pretty sweet as well. Good luck with your mods

Het GT500 how much nicer do the Borla axlebacks sound over stock? I would venture to say a lot better. Also how happy are you with the handling compared to the svt Cobras we had???

The stock mufflers are quieter than a stock GT mustang. Day and night difference between the stock sound and the FRRP/Borlas, the Borlas sounding much nicer, deeper, beefier, in my book at least.

To me, the handling is much the same, but I'm more a straight line sorta guy, and never much into how fast I could go around a corner with either car......

Here is a link to video and sound for SLP Loudmouths which jcthorne had posted.

I have the borla frpp axle back. They sound incredible. I personally would not want anything louder.

I also have the shelby razors in 20" I highly recommend them. They look awesome.So far it seems very clear that the 18" ones just wont fit our car correctly. On the correct offset, the brake calibers hit. On the other offset, you car looks like a 1970 chevelle ss with 15x10"cragers on it. Basically the tires stick out WAY too much. Good luck with your choices.

I bought the razors at town fair tire for $1899 complte with nitto 555 tires . Great combonation.

www.bmrfabrication.com for new lower control arms to solev wheel hop if you have it.

$135.95

Frpp/borla axle back will cost ya about $429 from jegs or summit racing.

ORDER the FRPP ones. They are the exact same muffler made by borla. The ONLY difference is they are almost $100 cheaper ;)

evolution performance also offers suspension packages and INCREDIBLE power packages.I find them to be a bit pricy on suspension parts but their performance parts are OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many on here know more than me but here are the answers I feel fairly confident in:

1. The concept got them we didn't

2. Same as 1 - I am one of the people that has centered mine - attached is a pic but I've since gone back and straightened out the S & H (cramped space on the change)

3. I can't say what set up is best but Steeda has some springs coming out and I am sure there are more options coming

4. Issues with the razors are not so much the width right now as those rims will support the width - but the 18's appear to not be the correct offset so you have to use a 20" rim to get the clearance required....thus new tires.

5. I doubt it - but I can't say what all of the options are - I've not gotten too far into suspension yet - and am more of a str8 line guy too

6. I have Corsa axel backs - love them but there are a lot of people with differnt set ups here that will be able to tell you more about the exhaust - maybe even video and/or sound clips.

Welcome to the board

post-3980-1171661081_thumb.jpg

post-3980-1171661081_thumb.jpg

Welcome aboard cactus. I posted a pic of the lettering also, it's spaced a little wider than iceman's, plus my car has stripes and if you go to narrow it might not look right with the stripes that is. If you want to do it this way just pm me or if you want I can post the measurements and the how to's.

post-3019-1171666535_thumb.jpg

post-3019-1171666586_thumb.jpg

post-3019-1171666535_thumb.jpg

post-3019-1171666586_thumb.jpg

Welcome aboard cactus. I posted a pic of the lettering also, it's spaced a little wider than iceman's, plus my car has stripes and if you go to narrow it might not look right with the stripes that is. If you want to do it this way just pm me or if you want I can post the measurements and the how to's.

Looks awesome. What are the measurements. Looks like about 1.5" from either side of the stripes and then just add the s and the y in correct location?? I figured that about what it looks like. I think your looks perfect!!

Looks awesome. What are the measurements. Looks like about 1.5" from either side of the stripes and then just add the s and the y in correct location?? I figured that about what it looks like. I think your looks perfect!!

Shelby, you're right on, you get the measurements from the insides of the stripes with the H and E and also L and B. And the S and Y are last. I am going to post a pic for you of the measurements. I did not buy new letters, I reused the old ones. It's up to you which way you want to do it. Use a hairdryer on high to remove the letters, you'll need something fairly soft, I used a body filler spreader to slide behind the letter while you are heating it, go slow and be careful they are hard to remove. Once you have them off, take what is left of the old tape in back of the letter and replace it with 1/4" width 3M 2-sided tape, I had to cut 1/4" strips off of an ordinary role. There will be some glue residue left from the old letters on the trunk lid, use a soft rag with mineral spirits and rub it off gently, make sure to wax that spot back again. If you need anymore info , just ask.

The picture was previously posted on this thread, I'm sorry I don't remember the members name. The measurements are in millimeters. The letters across the trunk lid look better in real than on a picture. Good Luck.

post-3019-1171678464_thumb.jpg

post-3019-1171678464_thumb.jpg

Wow hey thanx fellas really did not expect such a great response you guys rock......... Thanks you for the many welcomes also :)

So here is a little more of an into for me. I was a little late getting into the game. I had on two different occasions put a 5,000 and a 7,000 deposits down on a GT 500. This was also after combing the nation to find anyone that had a waiting list left.

As the Shelby pricing fever hit and the good ole whatever the market would bare the prices were escalating, I had my first attempt squashed, the f****** sales rep called after holding my deposit for 5 months and told me that he was sorry but the owner of the dealership had purchased the car out from under me.

I dont think I have to tell you how that felt :hysterical2:

So I was lucky one more time and found another dealer out of state and again was the same scenario. Put 7,000 down. And to my disbelief the dealer called with the same news. Oh did I forget to mention they did tell me that they were then going to resell the vehicle to persons unknown for 20,000 over sticker. I then to my shock found out this was happening nation wide.

I walked away from my Shelby dream a broken man :banghead: I actually called both dealers back and told them I would never buy another Ford again and went on tell them I thought of their integrity. I actually when my wife needed a truck bought a Chevy. It was a symbolic decision on my part to flip Ford Dealers the finger. Was a tough move also as I have been a Ford man all my life but I was P*****

So last month I was taking my 03 to the detail shop to have it detailed. The shop is right next door to an exotic car dealer called Park Place Auto's in WA. I usually went in to oogle at the lambos,ferreri's and you get the picture. Cars I could never afford. And out of the corner of my eye I spied my baby. It was a consigment Shelby vert. She was blue with no stripes over the hood or rear deck. It had only 300 miles on it.... I just about had a stroke.

Long story short I drove her home that evening after trading my 03 Cobra and actually got my asking price for trade. I was at last a proud Shelby GT 500 owner.

Now I have a question as with the 03 SVT when it came out a lot a guys were doing the full length sub frame connectors on thier verts to stiffen things up. Is this going to be the same deal on the Shelby platform? As you know I said in the original post that I wanted better handling. Will the subs on this vert help with the ride quality as was the case with the 03 Cobras ???? Sorry for rambling on.................. and thanks again for all of your input.

Wow hey thanx fellas really did not expect such a great response you guys rock......... Thanks you for the many welcomes also :)

So here is a little more of an into for me. I was a little late getting into the game. I had on two different occasions put a 5,000 and a 7,000 deposits down on a GT 500. This was also after combing the nation to find anyone that had a waiting list left.

As the Shelby pricing fever hit and the good ole whatever the market would bare the prices were escalating, I had my first attempt squashed, the f****** sales rep called after holding my deposit for 5 months and told me that he was sorry but the owner of the dealership had purchased the car out from under me.

I dont think I have to tell you how that felt :hysterical2:

So I was lucky one more time and found another dealer out of state and again was the same scenario. Put 7,000 down. And to my disbelief the dealer called with the same news. Oh did I forget to mention they did tell me that they were then going to resell the vehicle to persons unknown for 20,000 over sticker. I then to my shock found out this was happening nation wide.

I walked away from my Shelby dream a broken man :banghead: I actually called both dealers back and told them I would never buy another Ford again and went on tell them I thought of their integrity. I actually when my wife needed a truck bought a Chevy. It was a symbolic decision on my part to flip Ford Dealers the finger. Was a tough move also as I have been a Ford man all my life but I was P*****

So last month I was taking my 03 to the detail shop to have it detailed. The shop is right next door to an exotic car dealer called Park Place Auto's in WA. I usually went in to oogle at the lambos,ferreri's and you get the picture. Cars I could never afford. And out of the corner of my eye I spied my baby. It was a consigment Shelby vert. She was blue with no stripes over the hood or rear deck. It had only 300 miles on it.... I just about had a stroke.

Long story short I drove her home that evening after trading my 03 Cobra and actually got my asking price for trade. I was at last a proud Shelby GT 500 owner.

Now I have a question as with the 03 SVT when it came out a lot a guys were doing the full length sub frame connectors on thier verts to stiffen things up. Is this going to be the same deal on the Shelby platform? As you know I said in the original post that I wanted better handling. Will the subs on this vert help with the ride quality as was the case with the 03 Cobras ???? Sorry for rambling on.................. and thanks again for all of your input.

Great story cactus, drive fast but drive safe. :shift:

Sorry to hear of all your troubles, glad you got one.

I can't answer your question exactly, but here are a few observations.

1) There are full-length connector kits made for these cars. see www.bmrfabrication.com

2) The new Mustangs are supposed to be much improved in the area of torsional rigidity

3) As to whether they help handling, I don't know. I have not on this forum heard of anyone doing the full length kit.

Good luck.

The picture was previously posted on this thread, I'm sorry I don't remember the members name. The measurements are in millimeters. The letters across the trunk lid look better in real than on a picture. Good Luck.

Hey, did you know someone wrote some numbers on the rear of your Shelby?? I'd be pissed!

:hysterical2:

Sorry to hear of all your troubles, glad you got one.

I can't answer your question exactly, but here are a few observations.

1) There are full-length connector kits made for these cars. see www.bmrfabrication.com

2) The new Mustangs are supposed to be much improved in the area of torsional rigidity

3) As to whether they help handling, I don't know. I have not on this forum heard of anyone doing the full length kit.

Good luck.

I have the full length cross braced subframes on the car. they also provide a jacking rail the full length of the rocker panel. The improvement on a new car is minimal. It does fully brace the lower control arm mount as well. Long term the benifits are more noticeable in much reduced creaks and rattles and rigidity. Especially for a vert.

They are not as necessary as on previous body Mustangs but they are of benifit. Yes, I could surely tell the difference when they were installed.

Archived