TEAM SHELBY FORUM

drive shaft

progolferv1

Wanted to get opinions on changing out the drive shaft to a one piece. Is it worth the money? also it is just bolt on or do you need to make adjustments to the shaft.

I changed my shaft on my previous Mustang, 2006 GT RoushCharged. I think it was one of the best modifications I made. Not only will you reduce the weight of your car by about 22lbs., but the bonus is that this is rotational weight. I went with the Steeda Aluminum Driveshaft, and intend to purchase one for my 2010 GT500. If you do go with a one piece, you will need an adjustable upper third link so you can adjust for the correct pinion angle.

post-29319-049519300 1285995114_thumb.jpg

post-29319-049519300 1285995114_thumb.jpg

I'm about to pull the trigger on this one...

My link

Seems like the way to go; just need to decide between carbon fiber or aluminum.

Some conversation regarding the PST one

My link

I went with the PST. Justin's write up and tests he conducted with this drive shaft was what convinced me to spring for the extra money for what appears to be a very fine product and follows what Ford did with the CV design. My brother and I discussed the issue extensively before taking the leap for my car. After reading for months from so many posts about vibration and damage caused from a steel or aluminum shaft breakage, I was actually leaning toward the two piece aluminum. I was on the fence about doing the upgrade until Justin's write up. I like the fact that if it does break, it is more prone to shatter and cause less damage to the rest of the car, as has not been the case we have seen from numerous forum members experiences.

I've run carbon driveshafts on other cars and really prefer them over aluminum. It's all I'll use now. I just wish I was in the US where my car is so I could measure and order one for the GT500 so it's there when I return.

I've run carbon driveshafts on other cars and really prefer them over aluminum. It's all I'll use now. I just wish I was in the US where my car is so I could measure and order one for the GT500 so it's there when I return.

Evasive, I think Justin has pretty much determined the PST Carbon shaft lengths have all balanced out at 51in. for our cars. Give him a PM and ask. He could have one waiting on you when you return. I was very apprehensive about going to the one piece until his write up.

Evasive, I think Justin has pretty much determined the PST Carbon shaft lengths have all balanced out at 51in. for our cars. Give him a PM and ask. He could have one waiting on you when you return. I was very apprehensive about going to the one piece until his write up.

Yep, Justin said all GT500's are coming in at 51 inches and that's what I'll be ordering from him.

I am concerned about the thread dealing with 1-piece driveshafts "rubbing" or "hitting" the tunnel. With carbon fiber, you do NOT want to rub or hit the tunnel. But after a little thought, the 1-piece metal (steel and/or aluminium) are 4" diameter and the PST CF is 3" (or less, if memory serves me).

I'm also wondering if you still have to run a loop for a sub-12 second car with carbon fiber, since it shatters and there is NO chance of launching a car.

Anyone know? It'd be a nice cost offset if I didn't have to buy a DS loop. It'd help justify the added cost of the CF vs. Al item.

Phill

Yep, Justin said all GT500's are coming in at 51 inches and that's what I'll be ordering from him.

I am concerned about the thread dealing with 1-piece driveshafts "rubbing" or "hitting" the tunnel. With carbon fiber, you do NOT want to rub or hit the tunnel. But after a little thought, the 1-piece metal (steel and/or aluminium) are 4" diameter and the PST CF is 3" (or less, if memory serves me).

I'm also wondering if you still have to run a loop for a sub-12 second car with carbon fiber, since it shatters and there is NO chance of launching a car.

Anyone know? It'd be a nice cost offset if I didn't have to buy a DS loop. It'd help justify the added cost of the CF vs. Al item.

Phill

I believe it was Bill the Harley dealer that said you may want to think about a loop because there is about a 12" piece of alluminum tube on each end that the carbon fiber wraps around.

Guys I called DS Shop, and they said that they stay away from carbon fiber applications because the heat emitted by the motor eventually dries the resin on the shaft over time which can lead to progressive failure. They prefer to stick with aluminum. I'm waiting to put their new 1 piece in, and he said that if I experience vibration with my Griggs setup, that he'd take the 1 piece back and sell me his 2 piece aluminum which is a bit heavier, but way lighter/stronger than stock...

Archived