TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Supersnake last trip to dragstrip this year

Last trip to the dragstrip this year. my buddy took video of my run against a Nissan GTR.

remember I live in Denver so altitude is about 6000 ft... times are about a second slower here compared to sea level.

If you don't believe me come here and try to run your car in the quarter!... it starves for oxygen.

The GTR is stock except "stage I" tune.

Nice car. a bit bigger and heavier (4000 lbs with driver and gas) than i expected. hooks without much spin on the line due to AWD.

he did not launch aggressively here as you can see.

my R/T was .072 and 60 foot time was 1.87.

These supersnakes are HARD to launch!!! but i'm still tryin!

edit: skip video to 0:30 to get to burnout staging.

Ron - What rear tire set up was on your car? What rpm off the line?

I guess I am surprised that the GT-R did not have more for you after the start. I can see that the GT-R left soft, but from what I read they are soooo strong and I am sure that once the owner saw you leap ahead, he was not holding back in an effort to play catch up. My guess is also that the GT-R, after the soft launch, had a very close to "zero" loss of traction for the remainder of the 1/4 mile.

R

Ron - What rear tire set up was on your car? What rpm off the line?

I guess I am surprised that the GT-R did not have more for you after the start. I can see that the GT-R left soft, but from what I read they are soooo strong and I am sure that once the owner saw you leap ahead, he was not holding back in an effort to play catch up. My guess is also that the GT-R, after the soft launch, had a very close to "zero" loss of traction for the remainder of the 1/4 mile.

R

Robert I was running my Toyo 888's (315/30). I have a pair of drag radials on my old GT500 wheels but did not put them on the car for this trip. I heat them up pretty well with 2nd gear burnout.... installed a line lock this year. I also have the CHE relocation brackets which seem to help get the car to stick.

I try to launch around 3500. I can't dump the clutch... i have tried and all i get is spin so i have to feather the clutch a bit off the line.

My quarter mile runs fall into 2 categories- if i launch well (60 foot time in the 1.8's) I run a sub-12 (which is hard at Altitude). If i lose traction i run mid 12's. my best quarter mile run here this year is 11.68 at 119.

I was surprised as well. I expected that a "tuned" GTR would be more challenging. if he had a better light (his R/T was about .350 as i recall) and had more RPM's off the line i would not (and should not) be able to jump him like that.

having said that even after jumping him off the line he was not catching up to me.

not sure why it wasn't closer. you could call driver error but the car is AWD and has an automatic.... so i wouldn't think it would be that hard to drive.

bottom line: Supersnake is a BEAST of a car and IF (and i do mean IF) you can get the car to hook up it can beat the best out there.

The GTR has 3 settings for Suspension, 3 settings for Trans shifts, 3 settings for performance, etc....

My bet is that he didn't have it on the most agressive performance settings because they are in the 3.5-3.8 second range for 0-60mph.

The early GTR's were breaking transmissions on the agressive launch mode prior to Nissan reprogramming them to lauch softer too. Maybe the guy was afraid of launching on the agressive mode for fear of breaking his tranny?

I'm just guessing but off the line is where the GTR *should* have the advantage over the Shelby, and that is CLEARLY where he lost that race (or MOST of it). Ron also cut a much better light, which didn't help the GTR's case any.

not sure why it wasn't closer. you could call driver error but the car is AWD and has an automatic.... so i wouldn't think it would be that hard to drive.

Actually...they aren't automatic tranmissions! They are as good as and might as well be...They are 6-spd manual clutchless tranmissions with paddle shifters!

When I bought my Shelby I was also looking at buying a GTR (one or the other, NOT BOTH!) they had sitting on the lot back home in Salinas California. I have 2 of the Nissan GTR brochures around here in my office SOMEWHERE. I'll see if I can find one and tell you exactly what they call them...but they are *manual* transmission (no hydraulics internally).

Don't ask me how the "clutchless" feature works because I have *no* idea! Don't know if it's a converter, don't know if it's centrifugal, don't know nuttin' other than it's a paddle shifted manual with NO clutch pedal.

But like I said, it might as well be (Auto Trans). That GTR *should* have got out on you *slightly* on the start then your superior HP should'a ate him up. That's the basis for my guess in my previous post too....with AWD and mid 3 second 0-60 times....he should'a squirted out at the line. To me, it almost looked like the guy just flat out wasn't on the gas!

Or it could be that your car is just so fast that it makes the GTR "look" slow (speed is reletive).

Either way, you beat his ass! Good job.

Phill

Robert I was running my Toyo 888's (315/30). I have a pair of drag radials on my old GT500 wheels but did not put them on the car for this trip. I heat them up pretty well with 2nd gear burnout.... installed a line lock this year. I also have the CHE relocation brackets which seem to help get the car to stick.

I try to launch around 3500. I can't dump the clutch... i have tried and all i get is spin so i have to feather the clutch a bit off the line.

My quarter mile runs fall into 2 categories- if i launch well (60 foot time in the 1.8's) I run a sub-12 (which is hard at Altitude). If i lose traction i run mid 12's. my best quarter mile run here this year is 11.68 at 119.

I was surprised as well. I expected that a "tuned" GTR would be more challenging. if he had a better light (his R/T was about .350 as i recall) and had more RPM's off the line i would not (and should not) be able to jump him like that.

having said that even after jumping him off the line he was not catching up to me.

bottom line: Supersnake is a BEAST of a car and IF (and i do mean IF) you can get the car to hook up it can beat the best out there.

Thanks Ron, and I also want to add that I am not down talking the GT-R, and they may be strong, but I don't think they are 725 strong. Given their comparable weight, it will take some additional mods to get it to the 725 performance level, and then what about longevity?

The 725 Super Snake (epecially at 3900lbs + or - ) is a Beast, and we know that with M/T street e.t.'s (not even slicks) they are mid-high 10 second cars and still conform to 50 state vehicle emissions standards, Wow! what a Beast!!

R

Hi Ron,

With the Toyo 888 315/30 are you running the standard super snake wheels or have they been widened? Do you have any issues with rubbing?

With your drag radials - do you have to swap to smaller brakes on the back?

Thanks,

J.

That was sweet Ron! You know how to handle that Snake! Outstanding! How many times have you thrashed the beast at the track? Any maintenance problems? Jim

Thanks Jim. I go to the track maybe 4 times a year and get practice in. only issue I have had is my supercharger belt failed about 3000 miles after the car was SS'd. not sure if it had to do with the drag racing. everything else (knock on wood) has held up nicely so far.

very nice times for Bandimere. I can't seem to get any better than a 13.4 @112 in my 2011. Still using stock tires which kills my 60' times.

Thanks Steve. I feel your pain, brother. would LOVE to run this car at sea level just one time to see what it feels like!

Hi Ron,

With the Toyo 888 315/30 are you running the standard super snake wheels or have they been widened? Do you have any issues with rubbing?

With your drag radials - do you have to swap to smaller brakes on the back?

Thanks,

J.

they are stock SS wheels widened to 11.75". trimmed the bumpstop and removed dust boot from shock to get them in. best mod I've done yet. adds about 80-100 "deliverable" horsepower to the ground. thanks to Lee N. for helping me with that decision. no rubbing with this setup. I have my old GT500 stock wheels which have Nitto 305/45/18 tires and they are interchangeable without changing the brakes out.

Ron,

I was looking at your mods and noticed you installed the Metco Drive shaft loop. Were you having issues with the driveshaft hitting the tunnel wall during launches? Would you recommend installing for someone like me who is not a serious drag strip racer like you, but I do get on the car quite frequently around town when I have the chance to race! I've never had issues with the drive shaft hitting the tunnel wall during launch and shifting.

BTW, the Michael Pettiford course you signed up for is way cool; have fun! His BIO is amazing!

Thanks,

Jim

Ron,

I was looking at your mods and noticed you installed the Metco Drive shaft loop. Were you having issues with the driveshaft hitting the tunnel wall during launches? Would you recommend installing for someone like me who is not a serious drag strip racer like you, but I do get on the car quite frequently around town when I have the chance to race! I've never had issues with the drive shaft hitting the tunnel wall during launch and shifting.

BTW, the Michael Pettiford course you signed up for is way cool; have fun! His BIO is amazing!

Thanks,

Jim

Jim the only reason i installed the drive shaft loop is that it is NHRA requirement if you are 12.99 or faster in the quarter mile. i did not have any issues (that I'm aware of) with the drive shaft hitting.

I am looking forward to learning to road race. I have spoken with Mike and he seems to know his stuff. comes withj great references and his resume' in road racing (car and motorcycle) are excellent. I guilted my wife into buying for me because I'm getting deployed (again) in November to Afghanistan.... wont be here for Christmas. so this is my early Christmas present!

Ron

I have my old GT500 stock wheels which have Nitto 305/45/18 tires and they are interchangeable without changing the brakes out.

You can get 305's on your stock GT500 wheels (and under the wells)?

Or did you have them widened too?

What brand/type (tire)?

Phill

Thanks Van.

I'm taking your advice and getting a road racing lesson later this month.... three day course with Mike Pettiford.... Can't wait!

I've never been on a road course before but I'm sure it will be fun.

Ron

Welcome to the new sickness!!!!!! You're going to love it. Nothing compares to road racing. If you are using your car put 100 octane in it. Octane is your friend. Use it.

Stay safe on your deployment. God speed.

Van

Jim the only reason i installed the drive shaft loop is that it is NHRA requirement if you are 12.99 or faster in the quarter mile. i did not have any issues (that I'm aware of) with the drive shaft hitting.

I am looking forward to learning to road race. I have spoken with Mike and he seems to know his stuff. comes withj great references and his resume' in road racing (car and motorcycle) are excellent. I guilted my wife into buying for me because I'm getting deployed (again) in November to Afghanistan.... wont be here for Christmas. so this is my early Christmas present!

Ron

Oh man; Afghanistan. You definitely deserve the present! Are you a Reservist or acitve duty; what branch? I spent 28.5 years in the Corps. I have dealings with Pakistan and Afghanistan military personnel in the contractor job I have now.

Thanks for your service to our great country Ron!

Jim

Oh man; Afghanistan. You definitely deserve the present! Are you a Reservist or acitve duty; what branch? I spent 28.5 years in the Corps. I have dealings with Pakistan and Afghanistan military personnel in the contractor job I have now.

Thanks for your service to our great country Ron!

Jim

the service is my honor Jim. I'm in the army reserves 16yrs now. will probably be serving at a combat surgical hospital again this time around.

the service is my honor Jim. I'm in the army reserves 16yrs now. will probably be serving at a combat surgical hospital again this time around.

Congrats on your service! The troops will have another mighty fine skilled surgeon on duty when you arrive.

Mentally speaking, I think Reserve duty is the toughest of all commitments. I was attached to 3d Ranger BN for two years as their ANGLIO Det OIC during Desert Shield / Desert Storm....that was quite an experience with those snake eaters! Six years later I was stationed at Biggs AAF / Fort Bliss with JTF-6 for three years (Counterdrug Ops).

You be careful Ron and keep that iron strapped to your leg!

Jim

yes Nitto 555R 305/45/18 on stock GT500 wheels. a tight fit but never had any rub.

Ohhh, my bad. I have a 2010 and it has 19" wheels on it, not 18's.

Do you happen to know if a set of 305/35's are available, and if so, will they tuck in a stock well???

Or anyone else for that matter, what's the WIDEST tire I can fit under my '10 GT500 without cutting/grinding/modifying?

Thanks for the reply, Ron.

Be safe "over the water",

Phill

Archived