TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Griggs Torque Arm

cluscher

Again, the noise that makes me want to get rid of my car is coming from the front and has been there since the sla was installed. Any chance it could be a bad ball joint(s) and if so is there a way to check without just replacing them? Sorry to hijack the thread but I really hate this noise and unfortunately I can't seem to get a response from Griggs.

There are so many pieces in the front kit. We recently did a full TT suspension for a customer and the car has more road noise simply because of the solid motor mounts but we don't have the symptoms you speak of. It could be possible that there is a bad heim joint of possiby a loose arm in the SLA.

It's difficult to diagnose a noise or sound. Does it come from the left or right front? Do you notice it more when going over a speed bump for example or do you notice it under load while turning? One thing we always try and do is a 500 mile check of all pieces after install. Did you do the aluminum spindles or did you go with SN95 spindles? What is the setting on the front anti-roll bar? One experiment could be to try removing the front anti-roll bar and see if that eliminates the noise. The car will be fine if you remove it for a test.

Just trying to throw some ideas your way. It's not recommended to use a lubricant on heim joints but you could try spraying a small amount of WD-40 on some of the heim joints to see if it eliminates the problem. Identify the location of where it sounds like the noise is coming from and then put small applications of the lubricant on each heim joint.

Some times doing something as minor as that can identify the problem location. If you are patient enough and can find the time you could lubricate them one at a time. Also do a nut check on each of the control arms while you are in there. It could be something as simple as a loose nut or a portion of the SLA that needs tightening.

Just trying to help.

Van

There are two versions of Torque Arms available for the S197 platform from Griggs

For Watts Link/TA Cover

For Standard Diff Cover not for use with Watts Link

Van

Revan Racing

Griggs Distributing and Installing Dealer

So before buying the Torque arm you had better decide if you are ever going to upgrade to the watts link correct? Otherwise it seems that you might be SOL in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Chris,

As you can see in my photo below I'm still using my stock rear cover- I believe you only need their cover if you intend to install the Griggs watts link

BTW since your local I can hook you up on some 245/40x18 BFG R1's take offs $300 for the set of 4. Used two weeks ago with 40 mins of use during the Mustang Challenge Race in Utah- only 3 or 4 sets available

Since the series is no longer this opportunity may never come again, believe me I'm stocking up-

P7110965.jpg

so how does the TQ ARM work with other non griggs Rear suspension. like with J&M LCA an CHE Relcation brackets and FRPP SVT handling pack an a 4in 1 pc drive shaft

Does this torque arm allow for adjustability of the pinion angle for lowered cars? Also have a one piece drive shaft if that matters too?

From what I have found out, pinion angle is handled by shimming the Torque arm at the diff cover.

One Piece DS's seems to work just fine.

I have two questions. First, do you have to have Adjustable lower control arms, when using the torque arm, or would non-adjustable work? Second, can you adjust the Griggs lower control arms installed on the car or do you have to drop one end of the control arm every time you need to adjust it.

Yes I run a Shaftmaster 1-piece drive shaft without issue

Modified FRPP X-pipe for torque arm clearance on SGT

P7110972-1.jpg

Adjustable control arms and coil overs

P7110971.jpg

P7110964.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have a few questions about when using Griggs torque arm.

Do you have to have Adjustable lower control arms, when using the torque arm, or would non-adjustable work?

Can you adjust the Griggs lower control arms installed on the car or do you have to drop one end of the control arm every time you need to adjust it?

Will the torque arm fit the GT500's X-pipe or does it need to be modified too? :headscratch:

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have to have Adjustable lower control arms, when using the torque arm, or would non-adjustable work?

Can you adjust the Griggs lower control arms installed on the car or do you have to drop one end of the control arm every time you need to adjust it?

Will the torque arm fit the GT500's X-pipe or does it need to be modified too? :headscratch:

Come on, there has to be someone that help me out? :(

If you want to properly adjust the rear end geometry for anti-squat yes, you should use adjustable lower control arms and lower control arm relocation brackets. Is it totally and completely necessary, no but for optimal performance, yes.

During the installation you will have to adjust one end if you do single adjustable, double adjustable you do not but the trade off is double heim joints. Unfortunately every car is different and you have to set it up initially and then lock it down. Then all is good and you shouldn't have to make additional adjustments after that unless you have some fine tuning to do.

Torque arm fitment. Some cars yes and some cars no. If it does have to be adjusted (x-pipe) the outlet side of the exhaust simply needs to be spread apart to make clearance for the torque arm bushing.

I apologize for not answering earlier. I missed it.

Van

Revan Racing

If you want to properly adjust the rear end geometry for anti-squat yes, you should use adjustable lower control arms and lower control arm relocation brackets. Is it totally and completely necessary, no but for optimal performance, yes.

During the installation you will have to adjust one end if you do single adjustable, double adjustable you do not but the trade off is double heim joints. Unfortunately every car is different and you have to set it up initially and then lock it down. Then all is good and you shouldn't have to make additional adjustments after that unless you have some fine tuning to do.

Torque arm fitment. Some cars yes and some cars no. If it does have to be adjusted (x-pipe) the outlet side of the exhaust simply needs to be spread apart to make clearance for the torque arm bushing.

I apologize for not answering earlier. I missed it.

Van

Revan Racing

Thank you for your help!

From what I have found out, pinion angle is handled by shimming the Torque arm at the diff cover.

To clarify, if you wanted to make any adjustment regarding P/A at the arm itself, it wouldn't be via a shim at the cover. The shim would have to be placed between the housing ears and the torque arm ears on each side of the yoke.

P7110971.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Check out the new Griggs Watts Linkage/ Torque Arm set ups on their web page ( 16 pages worth ) Available Jan. 1 , 2014 . Including ones for the 2013-14 models with cooler !

Do you have a link?

I am not seeing it under new products or rear suspension.

Thanks

Archived