TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Griggs Torque Arm

cluscher

I finally got my Griggs torque arm installed last week after piecing together rear suspension upgrades to the FRPP handling pack. The torque arm was the missing link. I did have a J&M adj. UCA prior to swapping the torque arm. First impressions were quite obvious. The difference in rear end bite was huge. Prior to the torque arm I'd be up in smoke easily by squeezing the throttle in second gear on stock goodyears. With the torque arm it was much less reluctant to break loose and I could hold it off from breaking loose until pretty high in rpm band........on a couple of occasions it didn't break free at all. What a difference! :happy feet: Initial impressions with handling on a few twisites was that the car was generally more stable, balanced, and planted.

I hit the track on Monday for quite a day. The track ended up consuming three cars in our half-day session. :shrug: An SVT focus and a Mazda RX-8 got together and went off track together. Two laps into the next session after the cleanup a GT-3 got loose and planted the front end into the wall. Both wrecks were at high speeds, the cars were heavily damaged, and made for a bit of a downer of a day. That said, I was a bit extra cautious but still pushed the car pretty hard. My limit is definitely the stock goodyears. With that said, now I'm pretty unsure where my limit is even on the stock tires, whereas before I had a pretty good idea. What I do know is the car feels quite a bit more stable and predictable. The car just sits and feels more willing to slide than snap when you're approaching the limit.

Overall I'm real impressed with this mod and feel its definitely worthwile to go this route over a UCA. Yes, its more money, but even if turning on rails isn't your thing the rear end bite and traction enhancement is really notable for recreational drag racers. Also, I expected to get quite a bit more NVH out of the torque arm in lieu of the UCA, and with the change from UCA to torque arm alone I didn't really notice a difference. NVH is very tolerable.

A big thanks goes out to Van for turning me on to this and walking me through my options. As always he was there and immediately helpful for install questions. If you're on the fence, GO FOR IT and don't look back!! :salute:

I finally got my Griggs torque arm installed last week after piecing together rear suspension upgrades to the FRPP handling pack. The torque arm was the missing link. I did have a J&M adj. UCA prior to swapping the torque arm. First impressions were quite obvious. The difference in rear end bite was huge. Prior to the torque arm I'd be up in smoke easily by squeezing the throttle in second gear on stock goodyears. With the torque arm it was much less reluctant to break loose and I could hold it off from breaking loose until pretty high in rpm band........on a couple of occasions it didn't break free at all. What a difference! :happy feet: Initial impressions with handling on a few twisites was that the car generally more stable, balanced, and planted.

I hit the track on Monday for quite a day. The track ended up consuming three cars in our half-day session. :shrug: An SVT focus and a Mazda RX-8 got together and went off track together. Two laps into the next session after the cleanup a GT-3 got loose and planted the front end into the wall. Both wrecks were at high speeds, the cars were heavily damaged, and made for a bit of a downer of a day. That said, I was a bit extra cautious but still pushed the car pretty hard. My limit is definitely the stock goodyears. That said, now I'm pretty unsure where my limit is even on the stock tires, whereas before I had a pretty good idea. What I do know is the car feels quite a bit more stable and predictable. The car just sits and feels more willing to slide than snap when you're approaching the limit.

Overall I'm real impressed with this mod and feel its definitely worthwile to go this route over a UCA. Yes, its more money, but even if turning on rails isn't your thing the rear end bite and traction enhancement is really notable for drag racers. Also, I expected to get quite a bit more NVH out of the torque arm in lieu of the UCA, and with the change from UCA to torque arm alone I didn't really notice a difference. NVH is very tolerable.

A big thanks goes out to Van for turning me on to this and walking me through my options. As always he was there and immediately helpful for install questions. If you're on the fence, GO FOR IT and don't look back!! :salute:

Hey Chris:

Glad to see you made it through the day. Sounds like the torqe arm really helped your car get some bite and handle better. I can tell you that when you finally get some track tires, they really make a HUGE difference. I know from my conversations with Griggs, they recommend the entire rear suspension package because it is designed as a system, but like you I started with one part of the system, the Watts Link. I plan to go with the entire system maybe this winter, most likely front and rear.

Sorry I could not make it down on Monday, I was out of town until Sunday afternoon and just have been to busy to prepare the car. It need pads, oil change, brake bleed, and a general going over after the 3-days I abused it at SAAC-35.

Sounds like you had a good time. Since the good weather is going to be limited, there may not be another opertunity this year up here. I am planning to go to the Bash in January and plan to run the track there.

Talk with you soon.

Rick

Hi Cluscher, Thanks for the great write up. I want to make sure I understand what you did, because I am definately interested in getting some additional bite off the line. It sounds like at one point you had a J & M adj. UCA on the car. Did you remove that and then put on the torque arm or do these two components work together. Sorry for sounding dumb, I'm simply not familiar with the torque arm.

Thanks,

Rob

The UCA is removed when the torque arm is installed. Somewhere on the forums (hard to find now) are some good pictures of it. The torque arm serves the same purpose as the UCA, but in a different manner. There are several Griggs experts that have some excellent write-ups as to how it works and improves the car.

No dumb questions as far as I'm concerned. I've certainly had my share of questions. Yes, I replaced the J&M adjustable UCA with a Griggs torque arm. They are two very different components, but when you go the torque arm route the UCA is no longer needed. However, the torque arm does serve the purpose of the "third link" just as the UCA does.

Yes, I have the Griggs lower control arms and their "axle brackets" that work with the control arms. I also have their adjustable panhard bar because my car is lowered with FRPP springs and I also run FRPP dampers.

Hey Chris:

Glad to see you made it through the day. Sounds like the torqe arm really helped your car get some bite and handle better. I can tell you that when you finally get some track tires, they really make a HUGE difference. I know from my conversations with Griggs, they recommend the entire rear suspension package because it is designed as a system, but like you I started with one part of the system, the Watts Link. I plan to go with the entire system maybe this winter, most likely front and rear.

Sorry I could not make it down on Monday, I was out of town until Sunday afternoon and just have been to busy to prepare the car. It need pads, oil change, brake bleed, and a general going over after the 3-days I abused it at SAAC-35.

Sounds like you had a good time. Since the good weather is going to be limited, there may not be another opertunity this year up here. I am planning to go to the Bash in January and plan to run the track there.

Talk with you soon.

Rick

Hey Rick:

Gotta say I'm pretty damn glad I made it through the day too. Seemed like a bad omen was hovering around that day and to see the beautiful GT3 getting hauled away made me feel a bit sick. The TA is great. I definitely think you'd appreciate the difference with all the power you put down. We'll probably have to wait until next year for a track day but I'm looking forward to it. Stay warm and dry, and have fun in January.

-Chris

Thanks for the write up.

Sounds like a solid upgrade. Are you planning on doing the Watts Link down the line?

Down the road he plans on doing the watts link and replacing the rear shocks with coilovers. That's one of the things I like about the Griggs set up. Although it is engineered as a kit the integral parts of the chassis system can be added and implemented in small phases.

His first phase was very simple:

Griggs Torque Arm and Low Profile TA Cover

Griggs Adjustable Pan Hard Bar

Griggs Lower Control Arms

Griggs Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets

These few items enhance forward and lateral grip due to the anti-squat geometry engineering.

I have a number of customers that have taken this similar approach.

For open track days, cluscher is going to have alot of fun with soome Hoosier R6's or A6's.

Glad it worked out and you are enjoying the car. :rockon:

Down the road he plans on doing the watts link and replacing the rear shocks with coilovers. That's one of the things I like about the Griggs set up. Although it is engineered as a kit the integral parts of the chassis system can be added and implemented in small phases.

These few items enhance forward and lateral grip due to the anti-squat geometry engineering.

For open track days, cluscher is going to have alot of fun with soome Hoosier R6's or A6's.

Will the Griggs components still work with those Super Snake owners who are widening their rear Alcoa wheels to 11.5-11.75"?

Can a different differential cover be used with the torque arm? I have put on the modified Explorer cover for more fluid capacity to cure my low speed groaning turns.

You need to buy the Griggs differential cover that's specific for their torque arm.

HaHa! That's definitely down the road a bit for me. I'm real happy with my current setup and need to get some tires next. After that probably LT headers and we'll see after that. I'm not rushing into a watts link because the torque arm made the types of big changes I was looking for. The watts link would offer more refinement but I won't be dumping much more cash into the suspension on a street car that sees the track occasionally. At least for a while anyway.

So you didn't get the dreaded differential bearing noise transmitted into the cabin? Consider yourself lucky. My car has every conceivable suspension noise known to man.

I get some gear noise from my 3.73s but its pretty minimal. No real difference on my car between the UCA and torque arm.

You need to buy the Griggs differential cover that's specific for their torque arm.

Hey Chris,

As you can see in my photo below I'm still using my stock rear cover- I believe you only need their cover if you intend to install the Griggs watts link

BTW since your local I can hook you up on some 245/40x18 BFG R1's take offs $300 for the set of 4. Used two weeks ago with 40 mins of use during the Mustang Challenge Race in Utah- only 3 or 4 sets available

Since the series is no longer this opportunity may never come again, believe me I'm stocking up-

P7110965.jpg

There are two versions of Torque Arms available for the S197 platform from Griggs

For Watts Link/TA Cover

For Standard Diff Cover not for use with Watts Link

Van

Revan Racing

Griggs Distributing and Installing Dealer

GOOD TO KNOW

What kind of noise and what mod seemed to cause the most?

At the rear there is pinion bearing noise that is directly related to road speed: the faster you go the louder it gets. I assume this is due to the torque arm. I can more or less mask that with the radio. The really objectionable racket comes from the from control arms. They rattle like you wouldn't believe. It sounds like someone left a wrench banging around loose in the engine bay.

At the rear there is pinion bearing noise that is directly related to road speed: the faster you go the louder it gets. I assume this is due to the torque arm. I can more or less mask that with the radio. The really objectionable racket comes from the from control arms. They rattle like you wouldn't believe. It sounds like someone left a wrench banging around loose in the engine bay.

Which control arms are you using? The single or double heim jointed? Did you opt for the Watts link Quiet option or did you do standard heim joints through out.

I have the same suspension as you do (heim joints through out) and I have a number of customers with the quiet option watts link and control arms. If you don't like the sound of your control arms perhaps you should consider an alternative option. I personally race my car and don't have the problems you are having.

The customer that started this thread used a single adjustable control arm set.

At the rear there is pinion bearing noise that is directly related to road speed: the faster you go the louder it gets. I assume this is due to the torque arm.

I had the Griggs torque arm installed and have experienced the same problem. Right after the installation, I started noticing a whirring sound that sounded like a bad pinion bearing. It is just loud enough, and of the right pitch to be annoying. I'm hoping that I'll be able to reduce this by putting some dynomat on the floor.

Which control arms are you using? The single or double heim jointed? Did you opt for the Watts link Quiet option or did you do standard heim joints through out.

I have the same suspension as you do (heim joints through out) and I have a number of customers with the quiet option watts link and control arms. If you don't like the sound of your control arms perhaps you should consider an alternative option. I personally race my car and don't have the problems you are having.

I have the Quiet Option watts link and regular (not severe duty) front control arms,

Again, the noise that makes me want to get rid of my car is coming from the front and has been there since the sla was installed. Any chance it could be a bad ball joint(s) and if so is there a way to check without just replacing them? Sorry to hijack the thread but I really hate this noise and unfortunately I can't seem to get a response from Griggs.

Archived